IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Color choices - Encephalartos sclavoi

Tracy

It is interesting to see the diversity within a species.  I'm growing a couple of Encephalartos sclavoi.  Perhaps due to age, the older one shows very few spines on the leaflets, even though the younger one still has about a 6" caudex and it's leaflets are loaded with spines.  I hope the smaller one grows out of the spiny leaf and develops a leaf like the older one... I will get a reveal when the next flush finishes opening.  The other thing I doubt will change is that the older one opens with a colorful chocolate mocha fuzzy flush, while the younger spiny form has an attractive fuzzy green flush.  It's not hard to see which color is preferred.

20190422-104A3051.jpg

20190422-104A3050.jpg

20190421-104A3034.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I prefer the chocolate flushes myself.  I have both versions as well as the brown emergant Ferox.

5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I prefer the chocolate flushes myself.  I have both versions as well as the brown emergant Ferox.

Go chocolate!  I didn't know there is a brown emergent form of Encephalartos ferox.

20190423-104A3059.jpg

20190423-104A3060.jpg

• Upvote 1

Its not super brown, but it is brown/purple.  Those are also more cold tolerant as well.....

On 4/23/2019 at 8:39 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Its not super brown, but it is brown/purple.  Those are also more cold tolerant as well.....

Hi Joseph, I wasn't sure if you were referencing back to the sclavoi or the Encephalartos ferox which are brown emergent.  I've seen a purple tint in my Encephalartos lehmannii new flushes in the past. 

I am still hung up on the colorful sclavoi as it continues to open.  It is a different bronze than my ceratozamia's which have the more reddish brown rather than golden brown (bronze?) of this sclavoi.

20190429-104A3079.jpg

• Like 2

Tracy I meant ferox. They are more of a ceratozamia chocolate brown purplish color.  I should have taken a picture of them yesterday as I walked by them.  My best looking Lehmanii flushes purple and is the silver/whitest one that I have ever seen.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 12:28 PM, yeye said:

Have you experience with frost about your bronze sclavoi Joseph ?

Joseph, you will need to respond to this, as I have not had frost other than a little on cars and the house roof.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I prefer the chocolate flushes myself.

Such a variety of colors in E sclavoi, even changing as the flushes progress.  Three specimens, three colors and even different colors within one flush.

20190509-104A3186.jpg

20190509-104A3187.jpg

20190509-104A3189.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the brown ferox that I have. With a two leaf flush coming out. They are as brown as a ceratozamia latifolia. 

20190522_162419.jpg

20190522_162423.jpg

• Like 1

Here are the brown sclavoi for comparison. They are not as brown as the ferox. 

20190522_162614.jpg

20190522_162624.jpg

On 5/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, Tracy said:

20190509-104A3189.jpg

Interesting.  More similar to the one I have in a pot pictured above.  The bronze one really goes through multiple phases of color.  The latest photo shows the range of colors in a single flush as it continues to push the last leaves of this flush.  I think this one may actually have a bit of blue color once it hardens off.  It really has the leaflets jammed in on one another, a look I like!

20190526-104A3604.jpg

Waiting for mine to flush so I know which type!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 6 months later...

Just removed and rooted 4 baseball size pups from it this spring.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190429_095427865.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

On 12/17/2019 at 12:18 PM, yeye said:

Is it the blue form sclavoi  Scott ?

It wasn't even labeled when I bought it but it does look pretty blue...?

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

On 12/17/2019 at 4:10 PM, Meangreen94z said:

Nice, are you willing to part with an offset?

Maybe after the next flush.They all put up only 2 fronds each for their first flush since rooting.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Count me in too!  I have an 8" caudex Whitelockii x Sclavoi that's just getting rooted in the ground now, hopefully I'll get a nice flush next spring. 

I've been thinking about getting a Sclavoi, but I'm not sure how cold-hardy they are.  Has anyone's Sclavoi taken significant sub-freezing or frost?  Whitelockii is supposedly ok at around 25-27F but takes severe damage in the low 20s.  We hit 25F briefly in January 2018, but that's pretty rare.

Sometimes I am a complete doofus.  My 8" caudex one is a Gratus x Whitelockii.  My little ones are Sclavoi Blue x Ituriensis from PT member IceBlueCycads:

P1050335.thumb.JPG.2d271069e0bbbf7c8127551bf37a5d80.JPG

16 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Count me in too!  I have an 8" caudex Whitelockii x Sclavoi that's just getting rooted in the ground now, hopefully I'll get a nice flush next spring. 

I've been thinking about getting a Sclavoi, but I'm not sure how cold-hardy they are.  Has anyone's Sclavoi taken significant sub-freezing or frost?  Whitelockii is supposedly ok at around 25-27F but takes severe damage in the low 20s.  We hit 25F briefly in January 2018, but that's pretty rare.

Scalvoi is more cold tender then whitelockii if that helps. Definitely one of the wimpier Encephalartos in cold

• Like 1

Braden de Jong