Sign in to follow this  
Tracy

Color choices - Encephalartos sclavoi

Tracy

It is interesting to see the diversity within a species.  I'm growing a couple of Encephalartos sclavoi.  Perhaps due to age, the older one shows very few spines on the leaflets, even though the younger one still has about a 6" caudex and it's leaflets are loaded with spines.  I hope the smaller one grows out of the spiny leaf and develops a leaf like the older one... I will get a reveal when the next flush finishes opening.  The other thing I doubt will change is that the older one opens with a colorful chocolate mocha fuzzy flush, while the younger spiny form has an attractive fuzzy green flush.  It's not hard to see which color is preferred.

20190422-104A3051.jpg

20190422-104A3050.jpg

20190421-104A3034.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dr Sha

Just beautiful...

TexasColdHardyPalms

I prefer the chocolate flushes myself.  I have both versions as well as the brown emergant Ferox.

yeye

Have you experience with frost about your bronze sclavoi Joseph ?

Tracy
5 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I prefer the chocolate flushes myself.  I have both versions as well as the brown emergant Ferox.

Go chocolate!  I didn't know there is a brown emergent form of Encephalartos ferox.

20190423-104A3059.jpg

20190423-104A3060.jpg

• Upvote 1

Meangreen94z

Nice, Sclavoi is on my “eventually” list.

TexasColdHardyPalms

Its not super brown, but it is brown/purple.  Those are also more cold tolerant as well.....

Tracy
On 4/23/2019 at 8:39 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Its not super brown, but it is brown/purple.  Those are also more cold tolerant as well.....

Hi Joseph, I wasn't sure if you were referencing back to the sclavoi or the Encephalartos ferox which are brown emergent.  I've seen a purple tint in my Encephalartos lehmannii new flushes in the past. 

I am still hung up on the colorful sclavoi as it continues to open.  It is a different bronze than my ceratozamia's which have the more reddish brown rather than golden brown (bronze?) of this sclavoi.

20190429-104A3079.jpg

• Like 2

TexasColdHardyPalms

Tracy I meant ferox. They are more of a ceratozamia chocolate brown purplish color.  I should have taken a picture of them yesterday as I walked by them.  My best looking Lehmanii flushes purple and is the silver/whitest one that I have ever seen.. 

• Like 1

Tracy
On 4/23/2019 at 12:28 PM, yeye said:

Have you experience with frost about your bronze sclavoi Joseph ?

Joseph, you will need to respond to this, as I have not had frost other than a little on cars and the house roof.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I prefer the chocolate flushes myself.

Such a variety of colors in E sclavoi, even changing as the flushes progress.  Three specimens, three colors and even different colors within one flush.

20190509-104A3186.jpg

20190509-104A3187.jpg

20190509-104A3189.jpg

TexasColdHardyPalms

Here is a picture of the brown ferox that I have. With a two leaf flush coming out. They are as brown as a ceratozamia latifolia. 

20190522_162419.jpg

20190522_162423.jpg

• Like 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Here are the brown sclavoi for comparison. They are not as brown as the ferox. 

20190522_162614.jpg

20190522_162624.jpg

Tracy
On 5/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, Tracy said:

20190509-104A3189.jpg

Interesting.  More similar to the one I have in a pot pictured above.  The bronze one really goes through multiple phases of color.  The latest photo shows the range of colors in a single flush as it continues to push the last leaves of this flush.  I think this one may actually have a bit of blue color once it hardens off.  It really has the leaflets jammed in on one another, a look I like!

20190526-104A3604.jpg

BS Man about Palms

Waiting for mine to flush so I know which type!!

aztropic

My sclavoi has a bright lime green flush!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190330_182940085.jpg

aztropic

Just removed and rooted 4 baseball size pups from it this spring.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190429_095427865.jpg

Meangreen94z

Nice, are you willing to part with an offset?

aztropic
On 12/17/2019 at 12:18 PM, yeye said:

Is it the blue form sclavoi  Scott ?

It wasn't even labeled when I bought it but it does look pretty blue...?

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

aztropic
On 12/17/2019 at 4:10 PM, Meangreen94z said:

Nice, are you willing to part with an offset?

Maybe after the next flush.They all put up only 2 fronds each for their first flush since rooting.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Meangreen94z

Thanks. If you do decide to sell, just contact me. I have a green Sclavoi, and would love to add a blue.

Merlyn2220

Count me in too!  I have an 8" caudex Whitelockii x Sclavoi that's just getting rooted in the ground now, hopefully I'll get a nice flush next spring. 

I've been thinking about getting a Sclavoi, but I'm not sure how cold-hardy they are.  Has anyone's Sclavoi taken significant sub-freezing or frost?  Whitelockii is supposedly ok at around 25-27F but takes severe damage in the low 20s.  We hit 25F briefly in January 2018, but that's pretty rare.

Merlyn2220

Sometimes I am a complete doofus.  My 8" caudex one is a Gratus x Whitelockii.  My little ones are Sclavoi Blue x Ituriensis from PT member IceBlueCycads:

P1050335.thumb.JPG.2d271069e0bbbf7c8127551bf37a5d80.JPG

Palmzilla
16 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Count me in too!  I have an 8" caudex Whitelockii x Sclavoi that's just getting rooted in the ground now, hopefully I'll get a nice flush next spring. 

I've been thinking about getting a Sclavoi, but I'm not sure how cold-hardy they are.  Has anyone's Sclavoi taken significant sub-freezing or frost?  Whitelockii is supposedly ok at around 25-27F but takes severe damage in the low 20s.  We hit 25F briefly in January 2018, but that's pretty rare.

Scalvoi is more cold tender then whitelockii if that helps. Definitely one of the wimpier Encephalartos in cold

• Like 1