IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yard update then and now.

AZPalms

22 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I have one recommendation: phoenix palms in tight quarters, as in densely planted areas near walkways, are nasty on kids and adults.   They do better out in the open away from traffic areas, where contact can be avoided.

I will second that.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

The density of planting is a great advantage in the desert as palms partly shade each other including the root areas.  Almost everything needs a little break from the scortching summer sun in the AZ desert.  Drippers in clay soil work great and do the best when you bunch plants which can share the wet areas.  I never had such great palm choices in my yard in gilbert.  I had a small roystonea borinquena, 4 bizzies, 6 brahea armata, lots of queens(9), phoenix sylvestris(2), sabals(4), and livistona sp(3).  I am very interested to see how the beccariophoenix do, they could change palmscaping in AZ if they adapt fully.  Your yard is going to be quite densely planted as it grows in, and that is a big advantage out there in the desert.  Great job, and nice selections!  I have one recommendation: phoenix palms in tight quarters, as in densely planted areas near walkways, are nasty on kids and adults.   They do better out in the open away from traffic areas, where contact can be avoided.

Thank you! Totally agree on the density and the Phoenix Sp.

Density in the desert helps with watering and shading root zones for sure! 

The list of removal and replacing definitely includes a few Phoenix palms. They’re just nasty to trim and I don’t want the kids or others getting a poke to the eye or skin. Great for the desert, bad for enjoying a pool without dodging spines. 

The Beccariophoenix definitely can take the cold and the sun so far, not quick growers here. I hope they are a success, no spines, good looks. Better than Mules in my eyes but definitely not as easy or hardy. 

• 6 months later...

I guess I’ll call this one end of summer? How time has flown by! Who said raising kids wasn’t easy. Well my night shots should tell you the time I have left in my days now! 

What a summer it’s been. Absolutely brutal heat and drought. I think we measured a whopping .25in of rain all summer at my place. Between work, daughter, commitments and the heat, the yard didn’t get pampered like last summer. 

The surprising winner for my yard this year has been a Dypsis Pembana. Took a little burn early on, then grew right out of it into deep green foliage. Extremely surprised! Winter will have the last laugh I’m afraid. Fingers crossed!

I planted out a Medemia which is now on its third strap leaf and looking perfect thus far. 

EB089F63-DB08-4209-B888-C9A23A9B2846.jpeg

94DC7441-EE5D-4808-B34E-364B50CE4C5B.jpeg

24B5E03A-87BB-4F53-8A41-1EC52CBBC92D.jpeg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

The surprising winner for my yard this year has been a Dypsis Pembana. Took a little burn early on, then grew right out of it into deep green foliage. Extremely surprised! Winter will have the last laugh I’m afraid. Fingers crossed!

24B5E03A-87BB-4F53-8A41-1EC52CBBC92D.jpeg

That Pembana looks great!  It is probably one of my top 5 favorite palms for the wide leaves, fast growth, full sun or shade capable, and reasonably good cold tolerance.  KinzyJr's spreadsheet shows some with no damage in the 25+ degree range, and others with severe burn or death in the 24-28F range.  One reported 21F defoliation but regrew, so hopefully yours has a chance!

• Like 2