IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ideas for moderate shade area Arizona

AZPalms

So my Ptychosperma completely defoliated this winter after our week long cold snap with ultimate 25f low. It was pushing a spear then. Well fast forward to today. With the heat picking up (mid to upper 90s) I noticed the spear emerging white and brown rot. Gave it a tug and it came right out. Now all that’s left is the trunk. I have two options, 

1. Leave it and see if it pushes growth. 

2. Dig out and replace with something new. 

If I do replace it, any ideas on a smaller palm for a area in Phoenix that receives morning sun until Noon? It’s near a patio. 

Max 

49BFEBD7-BC6E-4507-868B-078D6956E053.jpeg

Mike at MB Palms showed me a lytocaryum last weekend that he said had no damage in the high 20's. I forget the species, but he's easy to reach. It was a very nice looking small palm, and from what he says it sounds very tough.

• Like 1

If you don't already have one,a triangle palm might be a good fit.I've had 1 planted in my yard for 20 years now in Mesa,Arizona.Went in as a 3 gallon plant in 1999 and it's done well,surviving our occasional freezes without any protection.(although it has completely defoliated a few times) It currently has less than 5 feet of trunk,so,gains height slowly,even though it produces several new fronds each year under our conditions.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15559435995289040432842343297506.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

If you don't already have one,a triangle palm might be a good fit.I've had 1 planted in my yard for 20 years now in Mesa,Arizona.Went in as a 3 gallon plant in 1999 and it's done well,surviving our occasional freezes without any protection.(although it has completely defoliated a few times) It currently has less than 5 feet of trunk,so,gains height slowly,even though it produces several new fronds each year under our conditions.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15559435995289040432842343297506.jpg

I do have a Triangle on the east side. Does great with heat and cold! I’m bummed about this Ptychosperma

Try cutting crownshaft down on the damaged palm an inch at a time till you hit all clean tissue.Apply hydrogen peroxide to sterilize.It just might come back and surprise you!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

A couple more friendly palm (no thorns) sugestions I've had very good luck with here in the Arizona desert.They've never shown any freeze damage after several years planted in the ground. First up - Ravenea xerophila.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15559695524989131056231966045665.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Thrinax species also do very well here - I've grown dozens from seed,including the ones in my garden.

Thrinax radiata - very tropical looking and tough!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15559701225938605063226778010097.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Thrinax,now Leucothrinax morrisii, is a slower grower but just as tough.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15559704272734948520923350995473.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

4 hours ago, aztropic said:

Try cutting crownshaft down on the damaged palm an inch at a time till you hit all clean tissue.Apply hydrogen peroxide to sterilize.It just might come back and surprise you!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I poured some hydrogen peroxide into the the crown. Crossing my fingers it pulls through. I’ll give it a month or two and see what happens. 

How quickly has the T. Radiata grown? I have a small double and it’s been slow. 

Both of the Thrinax I've just shown are 10 years old from seed planted at the same time.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Any of the Gaussia species will also work well in your described conditions.Be aware that this species does pull towards the light over time.You can dig and reset if it becomes a problem as they don't seem to be bothered by root disturbance.Great looking palm when younger as they have the appearance of a bottle palm but hardier.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15559712646126403051357766443367.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Just now, AZPalms said:

I poured some hydrogen peroxide into the the crown. Crossing my fingers it pulls through. I’ll give it a month or two and see what happens.

You really need to cut the crownshaft flat to be sure you have removed the rot and it will also allow the area to dry out.Pouring H2O2 in the hole where the spear used to be just leaves water sitting on top of the rotted area,often making things worse.If the palm has a chance,you will see the new spear moving within a few days from the decapitation.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Well I’ll be darned. A week after pruning it’s head off and removing dead material, we have life. Part of the old spear poking its head out. Will it live? Will it die? Stay tuned to the next episode...

664454F9-C1BC-4747-BED6-B556B8769E32.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Unbelievably the palm continues to grow. I carefully revmoved it from its site. No root loss or damage. Check it out. 

13FF20CA-A717-4A6F-939E-2DC2DAAC956E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1