IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hoping for a cycad id- beautiful caudex!

JenRiot321

Came across this beauty the other day while walking by someone’s yard.  Unfortunately wasn’t able to ask what it was, but I was struck by the beauty of the caudex! It had an unusually colorful pattern. If I had to guess i’d chance that it was an Encephalartos, but i’m a newbie with cycads.  I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can point me in the right direction (and please don’t tell me it’s ultra rare and i’ll likely never own one. That list is already too long and heartbreaking!) or even give me an id.

Thanks!

Hope this is an ok place to post this!

449D7166-3331-4529-8676-443561BD0650.jpeg

A7A6E636-AD3A-4CFB-A49D-7D574E539F84.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Encephalartos lehmanii, probably Kirkwood form! Needs a little more size to confirm the Kirkwood identity, but it is very likely.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! Lehmanii was one of the first ones that I suspected because of the shape of the fronds but I didn’t see other photos with similar caudexes during my first search. Now that I look again it does seem to be the same! Awesome! Thanks everyone!

Is that caudex form typical for lehmanii? Looks like i’ll need to get one of these now! (Edit: oof looks like they’re not super common or widely available. Guess i’ll just have to keep an eye out!)

Edited by JenRiot321

As for the caudex, those orange collars are usually a great indication of lehmanii.

Given the right conditions, this blue cycad will not disappoint.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JenRiot321 said:

Thank you! Lehmanii was one of the first ones that I suspected because of the shape of the fronds but I didn’t see other photos with similar caudexes during my first search. Now that I look again it does seem to be the same! Awesome! Thanks everyone!

Is that caudex form typical for lehmanii? Looks like i’ll need to get one of these now! (Edit: oof looks like they’re not super common or widely available. Guess i’ll just have to keep an eye out!)

These are readily available from most cycad growers.  The color of the collars really stand out when they are wet like the one below captured after a late winter rain.  With the blue color leaflets, the colorful caudex really stands out!

20190303-104A2651.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful specimen there Tracy :) thinking my little Kirkwood could use some more sun :) 

Edited by Palmdude