IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty Palms’ Majesty

DoomsDave

Drive around town and noted the Ravenea rivularis all over.

Show us yours!

17200F74-6051-4E38-BEA0-D679707B82D0.thumb.jpeg.3202a3735514517075a042a8e1407010.jpegAFF1DF87-6CC8-406B-8122-98D7007048AD.thumb.jpeg.f8df50a91623967c6f20b5ce848d6f62.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ooh yeah this appears to be a happy home for them.

This is a really nifty group I think they’re setting seed.

3C2C1B63-90EC-47B1-8D5D-9E30CCBFD723.thumb.jpeg.52bb9111a8384971382d5c7b7b1792eb.jpegB0BE99CE-9C0F-42F5-9187-3DB45004F6A0.thumb.jpeg.8cedb0da7de674c49b125fa0131619ef.jpegA1BBFA8A-4DC0-47C6-B187-66C3D4293053.thumb.jpeg.9dde47c60a61cb2190a18c67354ea7cd.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 6

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And more 

CCF58898-DF9C-4A49-A2E4-CEAB22B9952D.thumb.jpeg.03a1acc613782efbb973e5bcabea9729.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

Good looking Majestically! Down to the Glades, we get holes with bug bites...

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Mine experiential Majesty near my Patio. Too close the house? Yep probably if it survives. For its low price, I love the way it looks. Kind of “coconuty” looking. 

27D08AB7-D030-4676-A03E-74953881D0BB.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Majesty palms are very "coconut looking".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Majesty palms are very "coconut looking".

Yeah,  but maybe a fat coconut :lol:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Very majestical.

:)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

They ship majesty’s up here to box box stores by the thousands. Kind of played out. But such a great tropical look. I have friends who’ve kept them here in pots for years and there secrets neglect! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Since Majesty's are intense water lovers- I've always been incredibly surprised at how well they do in California- unless they get copious irrigation in those yards.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matthew92 said:

Since Majesty's are intense water lovers- I've always been incredibly surprised at how well they do in California- unless they get copious irrigation in those yards.

Isn't a lot of California clay soil. They do love clay.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

This lavish and noble palm is not used enough. It is relatively cold hardy and it's use needs to be expanded. The pictures Dave posted tell me that they look better out west than in south Florida. I have seen some that have that healthy plush look here. However, it seems that most are overlooked and not cared for at the level that is required to allow their natural elegance.

What you look for is what is looking

9 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Isn't a lot of California clay soil. They do love clay.

The area near me is heavy on the clay soil and people also water them a lot, especially in their lawns.

• Like 2

Compared to many other, far rarer palms i have seen,  not quite sure what it is that always catches my attention about this species, especially since what few specimens exist around San Jose with any size always look a bit neglected or beat up.  After seeing how much nicer they can look when headed to / through Pasadena some time ago, let alone those i'd find around Bradenton and Sarasota while living there, like 'em even more.  Seeing the specimens in photo group, post #2, plus ones Mike in Coral Gables has shared, among others.. those come real' close to bumping Royals down a place or two on my personal palm list. 

• Like 1

Wonderful specimens Dave! Great finds. 

They grow well in the Central Valley also, given some overhead protection. I've yet to see any that are trunking, but I see them planted here and there, with bulging bases and a nice crown of tropical-looking fronds. I should probably try one myself. 

• Like 1

Here is one in my yard that has been in the ground since 2015. Not as fast as I expected but it probably was slowed down initially because it was originally planted with 3 other majesties crammed into a little Home Depot pot. I eventually cut the others out about a year and a half ago in the hopes of speeding up the largest of the group. The fence is 4 feet tall for reference.

D6DE4CAB-DFFA-45BB-907A-A4BC2229BA10.jpeg

Edited by ruskinPalms
Additional information
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Nice looking majesties, Dave. They do look better in CA than FL. But the ones here would look much better if people would take time & $ to feed and water them. My two are likely the most bodacious majesties in Cape Coral but we tend to their needs. The largest is a female that has produced infertile seeds for years. The other 40' away I'm not sure about but as I get no seeds or volunteers from either I feel blessed. They make great landscape trees but lousy houseplants and are way oversold.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I took the below photo November 15, 2016. These majesty palms are growing a few miles from my place. They are growing along a canal that leads to Lake Grassy; hence, I think the root system tapped into the canal water or high water table.

These majesty palm are the tallest ones I've seen in Highlands County. A number of years ago when I drove by to take some photos of these palms, the woman home owner happened to be in her yard. I asked her about these palms. She told me that a family relation had a nursery in Pahokee, and that's where they originally came from. 

The subdivision these majesty palms are growing in, IMO, is the warmest area in all of Highlands County, as it's situated on the east side of Lake Grassy, and canals to the lake finger into the subdivison on almost every road. All homeowners' back yards are on a canal or the lake front. Coconut palms abound in this subdivision -- like the one in the second photo taken on November 15, 2016..

Lake Grassy canal majesty palms.JPG

Lake Grassy coconut palm.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Mad about palms

They're an incredibly tough palm, which is surprising considering that they come from tropical river banks and soaks in Madagascar. In my experience with this species they have very high needs for nitrogen, magnesium and iron, as well as water, but they will do with less and hang onto existence until those conditions come back one day. You can imagine that the river systems in Madagascar flush a lot of nutrient down onto the river banks during the wet and then in the dry the banks may be exposed, and the Majestics have to do with less until the rains come back again. So they are adaptable to feast and famine situations but look much better with continuous nutrient and water. 

Once they trunk then they tend to put on size rapidly. On sand, especially sand that is high in pH with limestone in it, it is impossible to over water or over fertilise them. In fact I don't think they look good on high pH sands as it locks up iron and they go yellow very very easily especially as young plants.

Perth, especially along the coastal strip has many tortured munted looking specimens that just don't want to die because of the high PH sand and neglect. Many are past redeeming. In the foothills of Perth on gravels and gravelly clay they tend to look much much better.

They can handle a bit of cold as well. Maybe negative 2 or 3C.  Once conditions warm up they can outgrow cold damage pretty quickly. They resent continuous cold winds though. I'm growing a few down here and those I've wind protected have done much better than those in wind exposed sites. I'm on peat and clay and they tend to love the soil here and look good in a sunny wind protected site.

One of the biggest trunking specimens I've seen was on the side of a north facing hill near Walpole on the south coast. I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing, as that area can get really cold and miserable lacking tropical style summer heat and it was growing with nothing much around it. At a guess the trunk would have been about 10m clear.

Given water and nutrients this species is great IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Yeah,  but maybe a fat coconut :lol:

Could it be possible to reduce the fertilizer the first few years and achieve the not-so-fat trunk appearance?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

55 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Could it be possible to reduce the fertilizer the first few years and achieve the not-so-fat trunk appearance?

Or maybe just an Ravenea glauca?

Ravenea_glauca03.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Here’s more 

some look a lot better than others 

F3A36B23-ED67-4B05-B681-78FB190F0ABE.thumb.jpeg.e23cfb2361fd610e7e14c4c75e3a6096.jpegCC456951-733C-48BB-90DA-D4B05737222C.thumb.jpeg.3a74b7dc5e2bc312e4d070e612ae1fcc.jpeg4A0C2939-6C96-439A-8D85-A7E401B76CCB.thumb.jpeg.85a21634cf0103e881b059548f080df8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Or maybe just an Ravenea glauca?

Ravenea_glauca03.jpg

:floor: I was thinking on the lines of R. Hildebrantii.

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Personally I like the fat trunks. Like a royal.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Freddie Mercury might have agreed, at least in a video

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Freddie Mercury might have agreed, at least in a video

Haha! They certainly are fat bottom girls. 

On 4/19/2019 at 12:10 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Nice looking majesties, Dave. They do look better in CA than FL. But the ones here would look much better if people would take time & $ to feed and water them. My two are likely the most bodacious majesties in Cape Coral but we tend to their needs. The largest is a female that has produced infertile seeds for years. The other 40' away I'm not sure about but as I get no seeds or volunteers from either I feel blessed. They make great landscape trees but lousy houseplants and are way oversold.

Agree. I have 2 and they are very fickle and high maintenance. lots of water and fertilizer needs. I add palm fertilizer and magnesium 4x/yr along with irrigation and supplemental watering. They can turn yellow quickly without.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, DoomsDave said:

Here’s more 

some look a lot better than others 

F3A36B23-ED67-4B05-B681-78FB190F0ABE.thumb.jpeg.e23cfb2361fd610e7e14c4c75e3a6096.jpegCC456951-733C-48BB-90DA-D4B05737222C.thumb.jpeg.3a74b7dc5e2bc312e4d070e612ae1fcc.jpeg4A0C2939-6C96-439A-8D85-A7E401B76CCB.thumb.jpeg.85a21634cf0103e881b059548f080df8.jpeg

Second and third photos are how most largeish majesty palms look in the Orlando area, slightly malnourished and a divoted trunk for some reason.

This is a majesty palm in my brother's old place in Long Beach.  Photo was taken in 2008.

Mike Arends

Leilani Estates, Hawaii

433726730_yard022.thumb.jpg.55aacaffbac820d92273769cd956e001.jpg

636209820_yard052.thumb.jpg.2e46bb5b5d15844eeeab533744d27bb1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

I know some really don't like these but I think they look awesome when taken care of. Not rare but still something that adds a great tropical look to the garden. I have on in my greenhouse I'm thinking about planting. There's some in this area that actually look pretty good. I saw one near my place that has about 30 feet of trunk and looks great. I took a pic of it last summer but can't get a good one since it's in a backyard. 

rps20190422_084009.jpg

• Like 4

These are photos of a grove of majesty palms (around 15 total palms) in my brother's old place in Long Beach.  Photos of the grove were taken in 2008 and then in 2012 before he sold the place.  Needless to say, he liked majesty palms a lot.

Mike Arends

Leilani Estates, Hawaii

1999626585_backyard029.thumb.jpg.f20c65872c0a07764ddbea3cc0f3669a.jpg662698205_HawaiiandEdsPlaceAug10097.thumb.JPG.aa7787d910fc61698a99797a616b1df4.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Mike in LB said:

These are photos of a grove of majesty palms (around 15 total palms) in my brother's old place in Long Beach.  Photos of the grove were taken in 2008 and then in 2012 before he sold the place.  Needless to say, he liked majesty palms a lot.

Mike Arends

Leilani Estates, Hawaii

1999626585_backyard029.thumb.jpg.f20c65872c0a07764ddbea3cc0f3669a.jpg662698205_HawaiiandEdsPlaceAug10097.thumb.JPG.aa7787d910fc61698a99797a616b1df4.JPG

Wow that’s awesome growth!

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

10 hours ago, Chris Chance said:

I know some really don't like these but I think they look awesome when taken care of. Not rare but still something that adds a great tropical look to the garden. I have on in my greenhouse I'm thinking about planting. There's some in this area that actually look pretty good. I saw one near my place that has about 30 feet of trunk and looks great. I took a pic of it last summer but can't get a good one since it's in a backyard. 

rps20190422_084009.jpg

Booyah!

That's adaptability!

8 hours ago, Mike in LB said:

Mike Arends

Leilani Estates, Hawaii

Good thing he liked 'em!

I do too.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
58 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Update on the one I posted in 2019

IMG_4314.jpeg

That's free-king fat! love it

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I love this palm but the fact the seeds are so hard to find online, If anyone has access to seeds I'd buy! 😍