IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Cuba travel restrictions

Dave-Vero

Not much information yet, but this from the Miami Herald is relevant:  "Travel to Cuba for reasons other than family visits will be limited, in an effort to restrict travel deemed as “veiled tourism,” said a high-ranking official who spoke on condition of anonymity. That could signal the end of cruises, which started to operate during the Obama years because of an expansion of the categories of travel allowed."

I suspect that if it's possible, do a quick visit by the first week in May.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I already deleted one reply which was political in nature. It will be hard, but I left the topic in hopes this can be discussed with only palms in mind.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I've done one long weekend with Duanny Suárez, by far the most rewarding travel I've done in the past decade or so.   I've heard enough to be persuaded that informal visits of a scientific/horticultural nature are quite valuable.   I will leave details to more knowledgeable scientists and enthusiasts.  We have substantial numbers of both, for palms and cycads, in Florida and of course interest in Cuban palms extends far beyond Florida.   

The best that we as palm people can hope for is to be treated as educational/scientific/conservation/horticultural.  Not political.

A more encouraging look from Lonely Planet.  Also, a smart story at TV 10 in Miami.  Presumably the State Department will make announcements, sometime.  Maybe air travel will be shut off and cruises ended.  So far, nothing.  

I hope there will be a continuation of ecological tours like the week-long Palm Tour I went on in 2014. It was arranged by the Florida Tree Institute and was aimed at educating people about the many unique palms and habitats of Cuba and how they can be preserved. Not cheap but a lifetime experience for me and well worth the expense because I'd never expected to visit the real Cuba in my lifetime. I got to see places and people I could never have expected if I'd come on a cruise ship. Amenities weren't always that great but I'm not into Havana nightclubs and Cuba libres on a beach. Great experience.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Travel restrictions are administered by the Treasury Department, not the Department of State.  So far, nothing new at their website.  The New York Times had a story in the Travel section yesterday. Educational travel has so far gone untouched, despite Trump Administration crackdowns "people to people" visits.  So prospects might be good for palm visits.  I certainly hope so.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I rekkon we are back to the old times --- you hopping a flight to the Dominican Republic and bought a ticket to Cuba 

Treasury has not yet issued any proposed rules on new sanctions.  I haven't seen anything in the Miami Herald, except that Sen. Rick Scott wants a naval blockade of Venezuelan oil shipment to Cuba.  That would, traditionally, be an act of war.   

While I'd visit Cuba ASAP rather than wait,  I think that if sanctions were on Treasury's front burner, there might have been some news by now.

• 4 weeks later...

New travel restrictions will be published in the Federal Register tomorrow.  Group educational "people to people" tours are out.  It looks like all the info is in this pdf from Treasury.  It's long and complex, but scientific and educational travel is broadly OK.  That's important.  

Newspaper stories confirm that cruises are forbidden and many group tours are, too.  Commercial air travel to Cuba remains OK and travel for scientific research and things like professional meetings are OK (a botanical conference, for example).  

Just cancelled our cruise with RC last night. We were scheduled to go in late July with two couples from the palm society as well. We are now looking into going somewhere else in the Caribbean, fly there and relax!!!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

While cruises are banned,  a great deal of travel to Cuba is still OK.  Road Scholar's trips to Cuba are going ahead as planned, and I would expect that most natural history tours will be fine.