IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Syagrus coronata

Josue Diaz

I got this overgrown 1 gallon last fall from Kevin in Lake Elsinore. Finally found a spot for it in the ground here. It's in the parking strip so I hope it can handle the reflected heat from the street and sidewalk well. 

Screenshot_20190417-080330_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

That looks like a nice spot for it. They’re nowhere near the size of queen palms so it shouldn’t overwhelm the space, though the crown might get in the way till trunk forms.

S coronata might be a bit tender where you are so the reflected heat might be good in the winter.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

That looks like a nice spot for it. They’re nowhere near the size of queen palms so it shouldn’t overwhelm the space, though the crown might get in the way till trunk forms.

S coronata might be a bit tender where you are so the reflected heat might be good in the winter.

It is at the end of the front walkway. Now, instead of seeing my neighbor's house on my way out the door, I'll be looking at this palm :) I like my neighbor, and they have a great looking front garden, but I'd prefer to not have a direct view of their front porch/door. 

I've read that actually - the part of them being a bit sensitive to frost. I left it outdoors over winter and the older fronds spotted. Hoping to get as much growth out of it as possible with plenty of water and fertilizer this summer. 

I had one planted out that defoliated and died in my garden. Seemed to like the heat in the summer though but definitely frost sensitive. 

18 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I had one planted out that defoliated and died in my garden. Seemed to like the heat in the summer though but definitely frost sensitive. 

Differences in micro-climates are so pronounced in CA. Moreno Valley is less than 20 miles from Corona, where there's a cocos that seemingly grows with little to no care. 

That Corona Coco has grown in a very very small unique micro climate (like 10 sq. ft.) that changes, where conditions overnight during what we would expect to be the coldest hours of the day are temporary better than even any other spot in a front yard of a house on the same side of that same street. Funny thing is, I signed up on this forum to offer an explanation as to how that Cocos has survived but never went back to the thread and posted.

Syagrus coronata does fine here in NorCal, far north of Josue.  Lower friends will spot up a touch in winter, but not particularly frost sensitive like, say, a Foxtail.  I think Josue has been managing to get one of the latter through, so S. coronata should be a lot easier.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

8 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Differences in micro-climates are so pronounced in CA. Moreno Valley is less than 20 miles from Corona, where there's a cocos that seemingly grows with little to no care. 

I agree that microclimates differ so much. I think the Corona coconut is luck in my opinion and once it passes the roof it probably wont look so good but we'll see. My area is a valley at a higher altitude so cold settles on calm nights. I had my coronata out in the open in a corner of the yard and I think it was a mixture of frost damage and fungus that did it in. I have others in my greenhouse but didn't want to plant them yet but I might try them again. They definitely do great here in the summer but so do many other frost tender palms. Definitely tougher than foxtail! 

• Like 1