IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are there any hardy Epiphyllum-like cactus?

Austinpalm

Am curious if anyone has observed any Aporocactus, Disocactus, Epiphyllum, Lepismium, Pfeiffera, Pseudorhipsalis, Rhipsalis, Schlumbergera, Weberocereus or similar that can handle night-time temps well below freezing or extended temperatures just below freezing? I have Selenicereus spinulosus and it has proven very hardy.  Am hoping to another to grow along with it outdoors in my live oaks and palms.

Edited by Austinpalm

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

I have had it survive 3 consecutive days below freezing with ultimate low of 20f without significant damage.  I have seen it damaged at temps below 18f, but it was root hardy and regrew.

Clay

Been doing a little digging for ya but haven't really come up w/ all that much. I know some Epis and what Schlumburgs i've had in the past would start getting damaged if exposed to temps below 29F-ish for long, esp. if wet.. and exposed to more open sky.  Tucked up in a tree ( esp if dense /evergreen thru the winter ) might be a different story.  Might message Carlos,  @epiphyte here on the forum, and see what he thinks, if he doesn't see this thread. 

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Been doing a little digging for ya but haven't really come up w/ all that much. I know some Epis and what Schlumburgs i've had in the past would start getting damaged if exposed to temps below 29F-ish for long, esp. if wet.. and exposed to more open sky.  Tucked up in a tree ( esp if dense /evergreen thru the winter ) might be a different story.  Might message Carlos,  @epiphyte here on the forum, and see what he thinks, if he doesn't see this thread. 

Thanks!  Was hoping that some of the Argentinian and Bolivian species in/along the Andes might exhibit more cold hardiness.  So far, everything I've seen/heard is similar to what you report.  Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1

Clay

I grow quite a few different varieties of epiphytic cactus outside year around here in the Los Angeles area, but it doesn't often freeze in my area.  If you're ever in my neck of the woods you're welcome to stop by and get some cuttings.  

On 4/20/2019 at 2:06 AM, epiphyte said:

I grow quite a few different varieties of epiphytic cactus outside year around here in the Los Angeles area, but it doesn't often freeze in my area.  If you're ever in my neck of the woods you're welcome to stop by and get some cuttings.  

Sorry, I just noticed your reply.  Thanks for the offer. I will be in San Diego sometime this year, I might possibly talk the wife into making the drive. :)

Clay

Can't really give any information you're looking for but last summer I bought a summer blooming Rhipsalidopsis, yes some of them bloom in summer.  The one I got did not have a name on it but I left it outside underneath a shrub and it when through the whole winter without any damage, the low was 23F.  This year I got an orange-red blooming one to see how it does. The spring blooming one is loaded with blooms and the summer bloomer is just starting to get some tiny buds.  I grow them in wall planter on my trachycarpus and winter they will go inside the unheated greenhouse.  Anyways good luck with your plant hunt. 

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 years later...

Pardon the bumping of an old thread, but I've been trying to find some as well. I'm having issues sourcing Selenicereus spinulosus though.

What I do is use a site like inaturalist to see where species have been seen. I plug in the desired genus and look at map view. Species found in Paraguay should be hardy to southeast zone 9b as much of it is at least that zone. Southwest might be a different story due to fewer hot days in winter but I've had terrific luck with Paraguayan species and Southern Brazil species (many relatively hardy broms come from that region). Based on this, Epiphyllum phyllanthus looks really promising.

Currently I am experimenting with Easter cactus, Christmas cactus, and some Rhipsalis I have yet to id from work. I'm going to try to acquire the TX species and E. phyllanthus. I'm using them as groundcover in an extreme root comp spot, basically planted in a layer of substrate over Red maple + palm roots. The area doesn't even get weeds and the only other things I get to work there are broms, Rabbit foot fern, and Lebedouria.

• Like 1

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants

I think this is Epiphyllum. It has been growing outdoors in Shoreditch (London,UK) at least since 2019, had some snow and also below 0ºC temperatures. The picture was taken in May 2020.

I have also seen Schlumbergera, or very similar, in the outskirts of Madrid (Spain) doing good in winter. I have lost track of that one unfortunately. 

EpiphyllumShoreditch.jpeg

Edited by iko.
  • Like 2

iko.

Beautiful epis, definitely gives me hope!

As an aside a lot of redder/purpler cultivars can be more cold-hardy (and heat-tolerant) depending on what is happening genetically. Some artificial selections of white/yellow forms of normally red or similar plants appear to have a more overall reduction in anthocyanin (or other pigment molecules) production rather than merely confined to the petals. I witness this with white Pentas commonly planted here every year, the ones in sun always die much faster than the other colors. In shade, they remained. Anthocyanin helps mediate temperature stresses in plants, hence why many flush red in both cold and heat. There's studies where they compare individuals with increased anthocyanin production vs standards that back this up as well.

Unfortunately, I favor the yellow epis as I am always looking for more yellow shade plants so the above doesn't really apply to me lol

I forgot about dragonfruit being a Selenicereus. I'm not sure exact species but there's been some planted outdoors near me for years. This December it was a dry 26F one night and other nights in upper 20s. they were planted in a rather exposed site (not under oak canopy) and I still see them growing.

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants