IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Culture Questions for Chamaedorea tepejilote and Rhapis

Effusions

Hello wonderful denizens of Palm Talk. I have recently come into the possession of a well-established Rhapis that was a former hospital specimen--a friend of mine is a plant technician and was told to "throw away" this specimen because her supervisor concluded that it wasn't looking the best. Luckily, it was gifted to me since she knew that I loved palms and was an amateur enthusiast. To that end, I am attaching my indoor setup and hoping you guys will give me opinions as to my culture questions. So, the Rhapis sits in front of a north facing window, but is about equidistant from my east and west facing windows--is that too much light? I'm not sure what its exposure was in its former conditions, regardless, it's pushing up spears (but there are a few blackened tips, not browned, on some of the old growth). I've given it a little fertilizer to get it established indoors--thinking about putting it on my porch when conditions allow.  Should I just put it right against the east one?

My next question concerns my rather dinky Chamaedorea tepejilote, it's sitting in my north facing window with only a small amount of diffused light from the eastern facing exposure, but I can't seem to get it to erm...grow. I've had it over a year, and the leaves it was shipped with died, but it put a new central one. And I'm still waiting for it to take off--have I given it too much light? Too little?

I so appreciate you reading my post. I just want my new charge to thrive in my house.

Resized_20190416_221531_1531.jpeg

Resized_20190416_221535_8115.jpeg

Resized_20190416_221539_9097.jpeg

Resized_20190416_221541_753.jpeg

Add some dolomite to Chamaedorea tepejilote, for me this was the recipe. It will thrive in alcaline soil. As I can see in your picture,  the soil is pine bark or something similar. Too acid for this specie. These are my seedlings:

IMG_1646.thumb.JPG.e591157ba8b930eb229200c896c27a78.JPGIMG_0808.thumb.JPG.13dd0600be933f0ba357d876ae1424b2.JPGIMG_1650.thumb.JPG.6293c9c6e9d8debdd7a0df2c09dfae70.JPGIMG_1647.thumb.JPG.adda81bf8ffd6f1afa651bf0068b5467.JPG

• Like 2