Sign in to follow this  
Rickybobby

Did some ph tests today

Rickybobby

I’m on a well. I have 3 options which I tested 

dehunidier was between 6.5 and 6.7

water softener and turned off were 7.6

i know it’s bad but I’ve been using the dehumidifier water. The only palms that are not looking good are my Washingtonia. I’ve probably washed a ton of nutrients away from my palms most look ok considering. 

Is ph down like I use in my pool ok to use?

or should I just put some fish emulsion in the dehunidier water?

Rickybobby

Did. Soil ph test problem is I need distilled water to get an accurate result. I used my tap water and the soil came up basic 

Rickybobby

Also researching how fish emulsion can also acidity water/soil. Since all my palms are potted this is important to me. 

pj_orlando_z9b

I also read about fish emulsion lowering pH. I use vinegar in my hydroponics systems to lower pH but dont believe that it can assist soil. 

Steve in Florida

My well water pH is 7.70 and I have no problems growing palms.  It's the carbonates and bicarbonates in the water that affect water quality.

RaleighNC

Why is it bad to use dehumidifier water? That should effectively be distilled water, and should be fine for plants. 

Or do you need the distilled water to calibrate the device? Usually a pH probe is calibrated using a buffered solution with pH 7 (better yet with buffered solutions at one or more other pH values as well). Using distilled water is a problem for this because it absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere, so if it has been exposed to the air, the pH will be below 7.

Rickybobby

anyone had any concerns with using soft water with salt in it?

sonoranfans
12 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

anyone had any concerns with using soft water with salt in it?

Never do that, it will dehydrate your palms, and probably kill them.  The osmotic pressure will drive the water out of the palm roots instead of going in.

• Upvote 1

Rickybobby

So it sounds like either dehumifier water with some fish emulsion or light fertilizer. Or put my softener in bypass and use the higher ph water