Marius

New leaf on Chambeyronia macrocarpa

Marius

Hi Everyone. 

Does Chambeyronia sometimes have green new leaves?  If not, any idea what I have then?  It’s about 2,5-3m tall ground to tallest leaf tip. The leaves have wide leaflets and are thick and leathery. 

7623E7C1-22E1-47D9-BE76-E0ABE7076CC9.jpeg

40447CA2-0A3F-4CE8-951C-3F2D589F5FBE.jpeg

718242E0-F16A-42BB-9281-4C3E6D4E869E.jpeg

Merlyn2220

Yes, not all "Flamethrowers" are actually always red emergent leaf palms!  I don't know if the green emergent is a random thing or not, but I've read that some of them will throw a green leaf for no apparent reason and then subsequent leaves are red emergent again.  I suppose there's a reason, such as temperature, sun or nutrition.  I have a "watermelon" seedling that just threw a 90% green leaf, with just some edging in reddish-pink.  It's been struggling since I bought it as a bare-rooted seedling, so environment and plant health may have something to do with it.

Ben in Norcal

I have a trunking Watermelon that has always thrown green leaves, unfortunately.

Marius

That’s not so bad then. Hopefully it will turn red. The next one is green thus far too. Are the emerging leaves red from the start?

Merlyn2220

On my three regular Macrocarpa, the spear looks greenish with some dark edges.  It isn't until it opens that it looks red.  But mine seem to have green outer edges on the leaves and are red towards the center of each leaf, so the outside that's visible when the spear is growing are always green.  I've seen others where the spear looks mostly red-pink while it's growing, so it may just vary from plant to plant.

Marius
6 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

On my three regular Macrocarpa, the spear looks greenish with some dark edges.  It isn't until it opens that it looks red.  But mine seem to have green outer edges on the leaves and are red towards the center of each leaf, so the outside that's visible when the spear is growing are always green.  I've seen others where the spear looks mostly red-pink while it's growing, so it may just vary from plant to plant.

Thanks Merlyn

Palm Tree Jim
4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I have a trunking Watermelon that has always thrown green leaves, unfortunately.

Never knew.....that’s for this info.

• Like 1

Kevin S

I almost wonder if the red coloring is like sun protection for a newly emerging leave until it hardens off.

tim_brissy_13
1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

I almost wonder if the red coloring is like sun protection for a newly emerging leave until it hardens off.

I think I once read that red coloured new growth is to appear dead to insects and bugs that may otherwise be attracted to fresh, sensitive green new growth. 

• Upvote 1

KrisKupsch

Nope, it’s genetic, some populations on the island produce green leaves. Just the way it goes. Maybe through cultivated seed there might be crosses produced which will vary the green ratio but field reports illustrate populations in NewCal have only green leaves. I kinda like the green ones myself. 

Mike Evans

On 4/15/2019 at 10:25 AM, Marius said:

Hi Everyone. 

Does Chambeyronia sometimes have green new leaves?  

I grow 1000's of the regular C. macrocarpa, and see about 2% put out green leaves consistently.   You have one of the "rare" ones.  Unfortunately, rare does not always mean desirable or expensive.  Some customers prefer them.  I have yet to see a green leaf shoot from a Chambeyronia "hookeri".

• Like 1

Marius
5 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

I grow 1000's of the regular C. macrocarpa, and see about 2% put out green leaves consistently.   You have one of the "rare" ones.  Unfortunately, rare does not always mean desirable or expensive.  Some customers prefer them.  I have yet to see a green leaf shoot from a Chambeyronia "hookeri".

lol. That’s just my luck to get a green one

Jim in Los Altos
3 hours ago, Marius said:

lol. That’s just my luck to get a green one

Marius, Plant more of them. I have a dozen various Chambeyronia so there are red leaves several times during the year. EF3F7312-790E-4DEF-8C55-750F4FC4281B.thumb.jpeg.589f5f3068ab6a02bc630967b2945e5c.jpeg487B8918-9672-4F26-BAA3-0A1E95448B9D.thumb.jpeg.672e41c3f50513df05e01a5c0c17d0f1.jpeg9A40F97A-8622-4430-BBB7-3D902CB4BA20.thumb.jpeg.1bfa710c754efa4b38e8a4cd90bc4b03.jpegABAC6028-4E52-45F7-8DA8-78A8A0022988.thumb.jpeg.0f71664d630fa44ba7ed3246be77b74c.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Palm Tree Jim
On 4/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Never knew.....that’s for this info.

And that should read thanks for the info......

Marius
8 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Marius, Plant more of them. I have a dozen various Chambeyronia so there are red leaves several times during the year. EF3F7312-790E-4DEF-8C55-750F4FC4281B.thumb.jpeg.589f5f3068ab6a02bc630967b2945e5c.jpeg487B8918-9672-4F26-BAA3-0A1E95448B9D.thumb.jpeg.672e41c3f50513df05e01a5c0c17d0f1.jpeg9A40F97A-8622-4430-BBB7-3D902CB4BA20.thumb.jpeg.1bfa710c754efa4b38e8a4cd90bc4b03.jpegABAC6028-4E52-45F7-8DA8-78A8A0022988.thumb.jpeg.0f71664d630fa44ba7ed3246be77b74c.jpeg

Hi Jim. I think I should. I just want to see how this one does this winter. They do however appear to be quite hardy. 

Jim in Los Altos

5EB72B40-C706-497A-9638-32E679A0258D.thumb.png.24bb266df19f7651e12abfcece34736b.pngI’d be really concerned about May, June, July, and August. Those average lows would be very hard on a Chambeyronia. Low temperatures below average would likely kill it. They’re not frost tolerant either so you’ll likely need some sort of protection plans for your upcoming winter. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos

Marius

Yesterday morning it was -2’C. My Chambeyronia is unscathed. As a precaution I’ve built a frost cloth tent over it this morning. I hope for the best. I’ve also covered my small Ravenea xerophylla, Brahea brandegeeii, Livistona mariae and very small decora with some frost cloth. 

E7590545-4D2B-4EA9-9E00-E87720FAB95F.jpeg