Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin S

Growing tropical water lilies in containers.

Recommended Posts

Kevin S

 I have been having a lot of enjoyment growing tropical water lily in containers.  Here are some photos from last year in the garden.

27D05FF4-FA2F-4827-9D94-8851E93D2E62.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

DBFCB41F-7E74-44FC-8C88-AA4CCD518DB4.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 This one is very good at creating plantlets on leaves.

A7A4382D-CCFC-4BFD-87DE-7410AE37777A.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

1A929BBF-B982-482A-A347-6B91C1F7756F.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 I like using horse water trough’s for growing water lilies.  This one was a new addition last year to the garden.

0EE5A095-1C5D-4923-A986-BB4AC5C4BC24.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 Even the leaves of some plants can be very colorful.

4AAFA6DF-4E02-429F-A568-5EFC44D9B350.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

8CA3119B-1757-456A-8749-C5FAAAFD14E1.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

:greenthumb: Great pictures, You growing these in CA. or Hawaii? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 This is my newest addition to the garden I am thinking about using this Horse trough for producing new plants from leaves cuttings later on in the year.  But for now it is housing two new plants I Purchased on Amazon from Florida colors.  And yes I did say I purchased on Amazon I Purchased most of my water lilies on their site.  I even ordered some from Thailand two years ago.

30475D53-28F0-4485-A4C9-4118AADD8AA8.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 Here is a photo of Water lily ordered on Amazon from Thailand.

9A93301D-9DF0-4CB3-9829-0C9A1436D20E.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S
8 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: Great pictures, You growing these in CA. or Hawaii? 

 These guys are growing in California.  The ones I had growing in a Hawaii got damaged from the wild pigs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
39 minutes ago, Kevin S said:

 These guys are growing in California.  The ones I had growing in a Hawaii got damaged from the wild pigs.

God to know.  Use of Horse troughs will also make another project i've been mulling over easier to plan out once ready. Not sure why using them didn't cross my mind in the first place.. Plus, they can fit under a covered patio up against the house. ( easier to add a heater for night blooming tropical sp. / varieties, if needed in the winter )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 I have been using a horse water troughs for years now since I was a kid.  The big tubs you get from Home Depot or Walmart are very affordable water garden containers.  I really love the Big pots Costco had for the past few years the new were version is skinnier.

E98F283C-D431-4DBA-8246-3FB2A31894A9.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 I really love the color of this flower 

02FEE22C-72E8-4EB4-A7E2-D93971D010CD.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 You don’t have to have a big garden to have a tropical water lily in it.

E838E867-E144-48AA-B52E-43ED9BAA0C08.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottgt

You can never have too many waterlilies!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottgt

Kevin do you add any fish to your containers? A few guppies added can turn a water garden into a mosquito exterminating machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S
7 hours ago, scottgt said:

Kevin do you add any fish to your containers? A few guppies added can turn a water garden into a mosquito exterminating machine.

 These are the guppies I have been using for the past few years  I overwinter a few in a fish tank every year.

18F9DF29-687D-40DA-AFB8-3E49289CBEA4.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 There were only a few flowers this weekend but the water is warming up soon I will have a lot more. 

50EBE376-6994-4975-B37F-12D13D83E32E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 Right now I really need to do a lot of cleaning out but I got so many tadpoles I don’t want to hurt makes it a little hard.

C23CEC33-AD8C-4F40-8AD0-A64AF58DB485.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmatierMeg

What a great setup! I've thought about trying water lilies in a large container but we have a huge mosquito problem in FL and my husband is a mosquito magnet since he got lymphoma. I'd certainly have to keep lilies in full shade as our ferocious sun will parboil them and any guppies I might add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
krishnaraoji88
3 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

What a great setup! I've thought about trying water lilies in a large container but we have a huge mosquito problem in FL and my husband is a mosquito magnet since he got lymphoma. I'd certainly have to keep lilies in full shade as our ferocious sun will parboil them and any guppies I might add.

Throw some mosquito fish in and you won't have too many problems with mosquitos. You probably would need to keep them in full sun. My experience was in Central Florida the tropical water lilys flowered and grew best when exposed to bright sun, warm water, and were fertilized regularly. When I stopped fertilizing mine all died out. The hardy ones don't seem to need as much fertilize.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Chance

I only have hardy lilies in my pond but they look great. Honestly I find it hard to see the difference between hardy and tropical.  Mine just started blooming today. Adding mosquito fish is always a good idea along with a small pump for circulation.  I added a picture to show my hardy but don't think tropical would do so well here. I like the horse trough idea!

20190414_160029.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 This is a photo of one of my favorite hardy water lily I have.

05FB0133-7225-4089-824B-960C29405DB7.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 This hardy water lily is also very good flowers a lot 

02DE96E6-09E1-49A2-BC9F-50227618293A.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
1 minute ago, Chris Chance said:

I only have hardy lilies in my pond but they look great. Honestly I find it hard to see the difference between hardy and tropical.  Mine just started blooming today. Adding mosquito fish is always a good idea along with a small pump for circulation.  I added a picture to show my hardy but don't think tropical would do so well here. I like the horse trough idea!

20190414_160029.jpg

 The big difference between tropical vs hardy types  -as i understand it- is tropical types extend the color palate to blue, purple and bright reddish- pink / almost scarlet,  flower longer through the season / flowers stand taller out of the water, and offer both day and night flowering sp.   Several of the Tropical types are supposedly root hardy outdoors down to zone 9a / 8b, at least from what i read on different seller's sites.

One of those sellers, Turtle Island Waterlilies, successfully crossed tropical and hardy sp. and introduced blue / purple colored flowers into the hardier types.  A majority of the crosses the owner has done are stunning.. esp "X Almost Black".  "X Tanzanite" and a uncommon, Blue - flowered sp. from Australia are 1st and 2nd on my personal list, along with the bright red-pink, night flowering types which are also extremely fragrant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Chance
43 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

 The big difference between tropical vs hardy types  -as i understand it- is tropical types extend the color palate to blue, purple and bright reddish- pink / almost scarlet,  flower longer through the season / flowers stand taller out of the water, and offer both day and night flowering sp.   Several of the Tropical types are supposedly root hardy outdoors down to zone 9a / 8b, at least from what i read on different seller's sites.

One of those sellers, Turtle Island Waterlilies, successfully crossed tropical and hardy sp. and introduced blue / purple colored flowers into the hardier types.  A majority of the crosses the owner has done are stunning.. esp "X Almost Black".  "X Tanzanite" and a uncommon, Blue - flowered sp. from Australia are 1st and 2nd on my personal list, along with the bright red-pink, night flowering types which are also extremely fragrant.

Honestly I didn't do much research just wanted to make sure they do good for me. I just figured visually they look close. Hardy species go dormant for a few months but grow back super fast. I never saw mine flower this early which means I'll see them flower until November. I know what I have is some sort of hybrid. 

I did read about the night bloomers being very fragrant and if I had a bigger pond I would try it down the road. I like the idea of seeing blue flowers! One day I will redo my pond. The raccoons messed up the rocks but i still thinking it looks cool regardless. When I do redo it I plan to add more plants but I do like what it adds to the tropical looking garden. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
50 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Honestly I didn't do much research just wanted to make sure they do good for me. I just figured visually they look close. Hardy species go dormant for a few months but grow back super fast. I never saw mine flower this early which means I'll see them flower until November. I know what I have is some sort of hybrid. 

I did read about the night bloomers being very fragrant and if I had a bigger pond I would try it down the road. I like the idea of seeing blue flowers! One day I will redo my pond. The raccoons messed up the rocks but i still thinking it looks cool regardless. When I do redo it I plan to add more plants but I do like what it adds to the tropical looking garden. 

I hear ya.. nothing wrong w/ playing it safe. Didn't really start researching Tropical sp.  until someone ordered a couple blue flowering types to sell at a nursery i worked for back in San Jose several years ago.   Agree that a pond w/ lilies adds to the ambiance of a lusher landscape.   Racoons aside, your pond looks great. Like you said, you can always improve upon anything you might not like right now later when you have more time..

I like the Horse trough idea because, say you have a covered patio, you can place them under it around the perimeter / under windows of the patio where you can enjoy the flowers more ( and keep the bigger critters out, lol ) plus, i have an idea using porous chunks of Lava rock or Aragocrete ( DIY live rock for reef systems ) attached to a frame built behind each trough where i can attach Orchids, etc,  and set up drip or misters over head that pull from the the troughs. Any runoff goes back into the troughs so very little water gets wasted ..or is my thought. I'm sure you could buy some type of similar set up but i'm sure it would cost more than building myself.    Just an idea, for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 Night blooming tropical water lilies are the most cold sensitive.  I have some night blooming water lilies but right now they’re completely dormant.  For me I’m lucky enough I could grow tropical water lilies with year-round flowers.  Tropical water lilies have very fragrant flowers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin S

 This poor beat up flower was of a night bloomer.

7B0B5008-2C53-4072-A3DB-40C6D209CEF0.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona

A bit of a surprise find while out grabbing some fertilizer, ...and a new cactus, lol.  Plus a couple bonus shots.

Lilies. Hardy type i believe but what a display. Knew they had them in their pond here but never really stopped to take a closer look, until lured in by all the flowers today..
DSCN5768.JPG.188d6636eda940c7c79707b6a628b73f.JPG
DSCN5769.JPG.dfdea6562d4d0688229f86e351fb8f03.JPG
DSCN5771.JPG.572701ab69908cf14fd448f583a1b156.JPG


Lilies, and a famous Mule. "Torch Glow" Boug. specimen in the background, up in the hill below Brahea sp..  Ignore the ugly Queen on the right of more attractive Mule.
DSCN5772.JPG.ab3a6bacc93a1e3a16f2a8c19c9d1edc.JPG



Perhaps the area's most well known Royal. Glowing hot pink, somewhat hidden "tree" is a well -trained Bougainvillea.    Watch out for the "critter" hiding below the Twisted Myrtle to the left, lol.
DSCN5773.JPG.c7bbf926bf72f992c9b6591b73bcd069.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×