Sign in to follow this  
sandgroper

Queen palm seedlings

sandgroper

When I get a bit slack in the garden and don't pick up the seeds that drop from my Queen palm I end up with hundreds of seedlings to remove, it's really surprising how quickly they establish themselves.

1555116390639-1558336396.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Rickybobby

Love this!

GottmitAlex

Early Last year I picked up many queen seeds. I honestly thought they were foxtail. Lol. In our region, they're almost as prolific as washingtonias.

15551212288524922377107821976219.jpg

• Like 1

sandgroper

They are very common here, they pop up all over the place. They are considered a weed by many but in a garden at least they can be prevented from spreading.

• Like 1

kinzyjr

I've noticed the seeds are pretty resilient to cold as well.  I picked up a few seeds off the ground after a 28F advective freeze just to see if they were still viable and they sprouted.

Pip

Luckily  in my climate those seeds that germinate rarely continue. They would certainty be a problem in well irrigated gardens.

Laaz

We have the same issue with Butia here.

Marius

I have a huge problem with hundreds of Phoenix canariensis seedlings. I have to remove them constantly. Washingtonia robusta as well but to a lesser extent 

Jim in Los Altos

They are a real nuisance in my yard but by far it's Archtophoenix seedlings that are the most prolific in my yard. They become solid green dense carpets in the spring/summer. Some I've allowed to stay and they mature with several feet of trunk in a matter of just five years or so.

GottmitAlex

I gotto admit,  I let them live..... I just (mea culpa) can't  "do them in" 

Laaz

Even the seeds of butia that don't make it to the ground sprout... Makes for easy pickings when you want to grow a few out.

2cy013d.jpg

• Like 4

Merlyn2220

My neighbor has a Queen with about 15 feet of trunk, and I'm constantly mowing over seedlings.  I dug up a few of them and tossed them in pots, just to see how they grow when totally ignored.  I have a couple of 3-4' tall "free" palms now, one of which is already going pinnate.  I don't have a specific planting spot in mind, but it's still neat that they'll grow in a pot with zero effort. :D 

• Like 1

PalmCode

My first Queen inflorescence is happening at the moment.  I'm keen to grow a few from seed. I read that the flesh on the seed is edible as well...

q.jpg

sandgroper
9 minutes ago, PalmCode said:

My first Queen inflorescence is happening at the moment.  I'm keen to grow a few from seed. I read that the flesh on the seed is edible as well...

q.jpg

You won't have any dramas germinating seeds from these palms, you'll just need to work out how many thousands of seedlings you want! Don't know about the flesh being edible but I know rats love it.

PalmCode
37 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

You won't have any dramas germinating seeds from these palms, you'll just need to work out how many thousands of seedlings you want! Don't know about the flesh being edible but I know rats love it.

Thanks for the info . It might be best to cut the inflorescence off then. I'm not keen for that many and definitely don't want to encourage any rats!

• Like 1

PalmatierMeg

Queens are invsively fertile and drop 1,000s of seeds. Fruit is orange, edible but very stringy and attracts wildlife from flies to ducks. 

Rickybobby
1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

Stoked to germinate some queens from stralia mate!

sandgroper
2 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Stoked to germinate some queens from stralia mate!

Just about to head off to the post office mate!

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

UK_Palms

Seen a few of these popping up around south London where they rarely drop below freezing there. Some with inflorescence as well. But I think the Queens in south London only saw lows of 28F last winter. 

I'm tempted to give one a go, but I'm right out in the country away from any kind of urban heat island effect and saw lows of 22F for an hour or so in January. I think that might be a step too far for them. I've always wanted to give one a go though and might pick one up, maybe... :bummed:

Rickybobby
27 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Just about to head off to the post office mate!

image.jpg

That’s so amazing! Holy I’m pumped 

sandgroper
58 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

That’s so amazing! Holy I’m pumped 

Back from the post office, they're on their way mate!

Edited by sandgroper
Typo