IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palm seedlings

sandgroper

25 minutes ago, Fusca said:

No conflicting info - I stand behind my statement.  If you go back and read my reply from that thread of yours about palm seed hunting in Punta Cana (quoted below in bold), I pointed out that most of the fruits from your photo were not ready but you'd might have success with the queen palm seeds (Syagrus = queen).  I stated this because I had read somewhere about some having more success germinating queen palm seeds when the fruit was green and this is what @Laaz brought up in his quote from the SFGATE article:                      https://homeguides.sfgate.com/propagate-queen-palm-42955.html  

This isn't the case with most palm seeds.  I have been in the same situation traveling and collecting unripe seeds and trying to germinate them but never succeeded, but it doesn't hurt to try.  If you get any of those other seeds you collected in the DR to germinate I hope you'll share that fact down the road.

"Those fruits look pretty green still - the Sabals look ripe and maybe one of the Roystoneas.  You'll probably be OK with the Syagrus even with green fruits, but the others I'm not so sure will germinate for you.  Good luck with them.  But you may surprise me - let us know if you succeed!"

Jon

Fair enough thanks for the info 

• Upvote 1

In nature, green seeds are still on the plant unless something like a parrot broke it off and it fell to the forest floor. 

In my old garden, the orange syagrus seed would fall to the ground in one huge mass and ferment away, then maybe a year later when all the fermented fruit had been eaten by insects they'd all germinate. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 7 months later...

@Rickybobby did you have any luck germinating the green Syagrus seeds that you brought back from the DR?  I believe you had success with the ones you got from Australia.  I did an experiment this summer - collected green fruit and orange fruit from the same queen palm.  I cleaned the fruit off both and set them up in identical conditions, but only the seeds from the ripe fruit germinated for me.

Jon Sunder

On 12/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, Fusca said:

@Rickybobby did you have any luck germinating the green Syagrus seeds that you brought back from the DR?  I believe you had success with the ones you got from Australia.  I did an experiment this summer - collected green fruit and orange fruit from the same queen palm.  I cleaned the fruit off both and set them up in identical conditions, but only the seeds from the ripe fruit germinated for me.

Yeah me too the ones from dr that were green did not pop. The ripe ones from Australia had I think around 100 percent 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I sent a handful of those same seeds to the UK, if they're kept warm they should germinate, the challenge will be keeping them going but should be a bit of fun.