IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any nurseries in Brevard County with a large selection of palms?

pj_orlando_z9b

Are there any nurseries near the Space or Treasure coasts that have a variety of z10a palms? Also looking for larger palms. For example, Alexander palms seem hard to find in Orlando.  Just wondering how far south of Orlando one needs to travel to find a quality nursery with a higher selection of subtropical/tropical palms.

I have a palm I need to replace by my pool. It was an Adonidia merrillii. I can get them around Orlando but am looking for a bigger selection to pick from. Thanks in advance. 

• Upvote 1

I am in Palmbay which is south Brevard but I know all the big box stores throughout the county have pretty good selections of field grown and 15 gal containers.  Pretty much anyone that sells palms locally has adonidia. very common in the area. Below are some pics from one of my fav spots here in palmbay. PM me if interested 

20190304_120939.jpg

20190227_133929.jpg

• Upvote 1

MBPalms, east side of Orlando, has a nice selection of A. cunninghamiana "Illawarra"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jupiter1 said:

I am in Palmbay which is south Brevard but I know all the big box stores throughout the county have pretty good selections of field grown and 15 gal containers.  Pretty much anyone that sells palms locally has adonidia. very common in the area. Below are some pics from one of my fav spots here in palmbay. PM me if interested 

20190304_120939.jpg

20190227_133929.jpg

Those are decent size! Adonidia is very common here but most sell a tad smaller like 7 gal. I may check that out. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

MBPalms, east side of Orlando, has a nice selection of A. cunninghamiana "Illawarra"

I thought they were wholesale only. Are they open to the public? I've bought a few off them and they're always healthy plants. 

1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I thought they were wholesale only. Are they open to the public? I've bought a few off them and they're always healthy plants. 

I think their customer base is primarily wholesale...but not all, since you will find them at local garden club swaps.  I’m also pretty sure they will sell to someone if one knows exactly what they’re looking for. It doesn’t hurt to make a phone call and find out. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, FishEyeAquaculture said:

I think their customer base is primarily wholesale...but not all, since you will find them at local garden club swaps.  I’m also pretty sure they will sell to someone if one knows exactly what they’re looking for. It doesn’t hurt to make a phone call and find out. 

Yep, I have bought a few palms from them.  He's primarily wholesale but will sell to us palm nuts if you know what you want and have cash on hand.  He definitely doesn't want a bunch of looky-loos wandering around.  All the palms I've bought there have been very healthy and well grown and at a good price.  Another possible place on the SE area of Orlando is LakeShore Tree Farm, similar deal there.  I don't recall if he had Adonidia though, I saw a lot of queens and sylvesters when I was there.  Greens in Apopka brings up a bunch of Adonidia from Miami, I bought one from them for $35 that was about 6' OA planted, they had bigger ones for $65 or so.  You could try calling and checking there, I think they get their new truckloads on Thursdays.

• Upvote 1

MB Palms was down in West Palm Beach at the Mounts Botanical Garden palm sale this weekend.   Bought a cute baby.   Quality plants.  I've become fond of Archontophoenix (no cold damage since 2011) and the Kentiopsis oliviformis I foisted on a neighbor is thriving.   So if you have definite wants for things the big boxes may not have, or may not take good care of, I'd suggest contacting them.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

There are several nurseries in Brevard with a large selection of palms.  I want to say (not 100%) that there's a nursery in Malabar that sells a bunch of Alexander palms.  I think there is another in Rockledge.  I would call around.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl