IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

whats wrong with my windmills

palm789

Hi guys i need advice,the bigger windmill i dug up from my friends garden back in september 2017 and put in pot,it didnt have much roots and growth stopped,and 2 days ago,i transplanted it from pot to ground and noticed that not much roots have grown,what can i do is there a root grow liquid to activate the roots to build more etc?ok second is a sickly fortunei i bought cheap it is yellow but noticed green spears,the tiny pot had no soil and nice rootball but dry,i repotted into draining soil,will this come back? Anything i can buy to resurrect/activate the bigger palm and green both up,thanks

20190412_144016.jpg

20190412_144022.jpg

20190412_144026.jpg

20190412_144039.jpg

20190412_144036.jpg

Which picture is the one you are asking about?  The first picture of the palm in the ground?  If so wait a month and put palm fertilizer on it like palmgain or osmocote outdoor if that is available there.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

Which picture is the one you are asking about?  The first picture of the palm in the ground?  If so wait a month and put palm fertilizer on it like palmgain or osmocote outdoor if that is available there.

Im asking about both palms,especially the one planted out has about 20% rootball out of 100% it wont do nothing,im starting to wonder should i prune all fronds that are turning yellow and keep darker green spears hoping that helps,ive been waiting since 2017 for it to start growing and nothing still,now the one in the pot is just old yellow leaves.

You could try some seaweed extract. It tends to help stimulate root growth. 

BTW is that regular potting soil you are using? That's usually nor suggested for palms as it tends to turn to mush rather quickly. I would leave the old yellowing fronds on as they will help with extra nurishment for the palm

Edited by RJ

15 minutes ago, RJ said:

You could try some seaweed extract. It tends to help stimulate root growth. 

BTW is that regular potting soil you are using? That's usually nor suggested for palms as it tends to turn to mush rather quickly. I would leave the old yellowing fronds on as they will help with extra nurishment for the palm

Ive been using seaweed extract on the planted trachy, if i prune off all fronds exept spears will that help? And the soil is a mix of john innes no 3 and grit and perlite for the potted one and the potted trachy when i bought it the roots were stuck in a pot with no soil and dry as a bone in a desert.

6 minutes ago, palm789 said:

Ive been using seaweed extract on the planted trachy, if i prune off all fronds exept spears will that help? And the soil is a mix of john innes no 3 and grit and perlite for the potted one and the potted trachy when i bought it the roots were stuck in a pot with no soil and dry as a bone in a desert.

I would leave the fronds. The one in the ground looks to me like a bit of cold damage on the tips. As long as the new spears are nice and green I would let it work it's issues out.  Sounds like they were heavily neglected prior you you taking them in.  I have a few Sabals in the same situation. New growth is pushing, I'm just waiting for them to replace the ugly stuff 

Do i fertalize them both?do i let them dry out before watering or keep both ground and pot moist.

They don't look terrible to me.  I agree with pretty much everything that has been said.  Get them in the ground, water with seaweed extract for the roots, have a slow release fertilizer like palmgain on them all summer and make sure they get plenty of water.  I think it's just a waiting game for you. I have three that look much worse than yours that I got as neglected palms for next to nothing and I am doing what I recommended.  They are starting to grow but I think it will be 1-2 years before they look really good again.

35 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They don't look terrible to me.  I agree with pretty much everything that has been said.  Get them in the ground, water with seaweed extract for the roots, have a slow release fertilizer like palmgain on them all summer and make sure they get plenty of water.  I think it's just a waiting game for you. I have three that look much worse than yours that I got as neglected palms for next to nothing and I am doing what I recommended.  They are starting to grow but I think it will be 1-2 years before they look really good again.

The planted one got hardly any roots and havent grown any since 2017 when dug up,now when i took it out of pot 2 days ago it felt like i was planting just a trunk,the potted one got full rootball and is opening leaves i was wondering why the small one went yellow thats all.

They may be limping along, but they are still alive.  They'd be brown and crispy by now if they were dead.

I would not cut anything but completely dead (Brown/black) fronds.  You can give the brown tips a clip for aesthetics if you want.  If they have been at their location for more than a month go ahead and fertilize.  If you plant the other ones make sure to plant on the high side a bit instead of level or too low.  The one in the ground appears slightly low but camera angles may be playing tricks.   

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

I would not cut anything but completely dead (Brown/black) fronds.  You can give the brown tips a clip for aesthetics if you want.  If they have been at their location for more than a month go ahead and fertilize.  If you plant the other ones make sure to plant on the high side a bit instead of level or too low.  The one in the ground appears slightly low but camera angles may be playing tricks.   

It planted perfectly level with the soil lol

For roots I, almost, swear by seaweed/sea kelp. Doesn't have a ton of NPK so no worry about over fertilizing or burning and can be done asap. After a little grace period I'd mix in fish fert with the kelp/weed and do that once every 2 to 4 weeks during the entirety of the growing season. You can spoon feed it every week but that's a pain. 

This combo worked wonders for my palms that were damaged pretty bad in the 2018 event and they grew like weeds with no issues. The low NPK of this combo mixed with the specific nutrients makes it nearly fool proof much like milorganite is for your grass. 

67a4eb75-b503-453f-b613-869c3042788f_1.dd96f89d88e855131b0c7375e11c33e0.jpeg.bfa9276e7eb017734fd2a46f7484858a.jpeg

41aZdsWdjJL.jpg.e2b36feb38b0cb0e55abf1828daf922c.jpg

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Those leaflets folded in are not a good sign. In my past with trachycarpus when that happens it’s been too much water and potentially some root damage

Yes, agree with most of the comments in this thread. Your first pic looks to be classic transplant shock to me. My Trachys looked very similar to this when I purchased them from a common home supply store about 6 years ago....droopy fronds, withered looking appearance and lopsided spear. I am in the PNW/Seattle area and many of the professional growers here use superthrive. You drill a small hole near the bottom of the cylinder in a plastic 3-5 gal bucket, temporarily plug the hole, pour a capful of superthrive in and fill with water and then place the bucket next to the base of your palm. Let it drain out until the water empties and fills around the base of your palm. Do this every 2 weeks or so throughout the growing months (probably now through October, depending upon your location). It’s not going to be a quick fix but over time it will get that root system built back up. Don’t cut off fronds until you see solid signs of rebounding. If you’re not pushing the climate zone too far for Trachys, you should be fine. These are bulletproof palms where I live. These in the photo were the ones I bought 6 years ago from the home store and they looked worse than yours honestly. They sailed through several feet of snow we had this winter (as shown ) with zero protection and are seeding currently.

BC0E3E38-0E20-48D2-BBE2-B8A6936EDA58.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, willials said:

Yes, agree with most of the comments in this thread. Your first pic looks to be classic transplant shock to me. My Trachys looked very similar to this when I purchased them from a common home supply store about 6 years ago....droopy fronds, withered looking appearance and lopsided spear. I am in the PNW/Seattle area and many of the professional growers here use superthrive. You drill a small hole near the bottom of the cylinder in a plastic 3-5 gal bucket, temporarily plug the hole, pour a capful of superthrive in and fill with water and then place the bucket next to the base of your palm. Let it drain out until the water empties and fills around the base of your palm. Do this every 2 weeks or so throughout the growing months (probably now through October, depending upon your location). It’s not going to be a quick fix but over time it will get that root system built back up. Don’t cut off fronds until you see solid signs of rebounding. If you’re not pushing the climate zone too far for Trachys, you should be fine. These are bulletproof palms where I live. These in the photo were the ones I bought 6 years ago from the home store and they looked worse than yours honestly. They sailed through several feet of snow we had this winter (as shown ) with zero protection and are seeding currently.

BC0E3E38-0E20-48D2-BBE2-B8A6936EDA58.jpeg

I checked my bigger palm today it doesn't have much roots,was yours like that? Also the spears in the middle are still green and no pull compared to the fronds

• 7 months later...
On 4/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, Rickybobby said:

Those leaflets folded in are not a good sign. In my past with trachycarpus when that happens it’s been too much water and potentially some root damage

I seem to be having this problem with one of my trachies. It was the best growing 1 of 3 but gets the least amount of sun so maybe it has caught up to it. Pics of good trachy and root rotting trachy with the unopened leaves =/ 

20191118_152808.jpg

20191118_152832.jpg

T J 

47 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I seem to be having this problem with one of my trachies. It was the best growing 1 of 3 but gets the least amount of sun so maybe it has caught up to it. Pics of good trachy and root rotting trachy with the unopened leaves =/ 

20191118_152808.jpg

20191118_152832.jpg

Definitely something amiss but maybe someone will chime in with a way to help it out.

When mine curled in it was root rot. Cannot say that's what's going on here, but that's just my experience with trachy fronds curling.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

6 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

When mine curled in it was root rot. Cannot say that's what's going on here, but that's just my experience with trachy fronds curling.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus =/ Our gumbo clay is so hard to amend and all the rain fall we get. During the summertime it's no problem come winter no bueno for palms 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yeah that seems to be the consensus =/ Our gumbo clay is so hard to amend and all the rain fall we get. During the summertime it's no problem come winter no bueno for palms 

Yeah we have red clay here and the trachycarpus love it! Mine rotted in the soil it came in I just didn't know the process had started when I bought it from the big box.

My potted Needle Palm just did the same thing,  about a week and a half ago I noticed the crown started to look a little weird and once the temp dipped into the 20’s the fronds all folded, that has never happened before. The spear pulled yesterday, I’d already used hydrogen peroxide a couple of times and there wasn’t any fizzing or foaming.

I’m going to try to trunk cut it tomorrow, hoping it isn’t a loss as it’s relatively big (for a potted plant) and has flowered twice. I think it’s a root issue more than anything else though, October was super wet here, however September was bone dry and November has been quite dry.