IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's up with IPS?

tjwalters

I've been following along with this thread since it started (before I joined IPS) and been studying everything I can find on the IPS main site to learn as much as I can about the society.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, tjwalters said:

What's up with IPS?

• The link to the "latest" newsletter pulls up the October 2018 letter. 

I also received a membership renewal notification 3 months late. 

Am I missing something here? 

NOW:  The link to the "latest newsletter" in an email I got gives July's newsletter instead of August and the Link on the IPS main site under "about the IPS" for news also brings up July news. If we use the drop down under "news" on the main site we can read the beginning of the August news, then if we click the "view this newsletter" button we get the PDF of July news. Sumting wong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

I've been following along with this thread since it started (before I joined IPS) and been studying everything I can find on the IPS main site to learn as much as I can about the society.

NOW:  The link to the "latest newsletter" in an email I got gives July's newsletter instead of August and the Link on the IPS main site under "about the IPS" for news also brings up July news. If we use the drop down under "news" on the main site we can read the beginning of the August news, then if we click the "view this newsletter" button we get the PDF of July news. Sumting wong.

Yep. The site is new and the girl that manages it is new too. She is a quick study though. I’ll forward this along. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Yep. The site is new and the girl that manages it is new too. She is a quick study though. I’ll forward this along. Thanks. 

Might want to have her fix this page also. I think there's supposed to be a list of the board members. https://palms.org/about/leadership/

I see a page here https://palms.org/about/advertise-with-us/ trying to sell advertising, however, I can't find a "palm ad page" anywhere on the IPS main site and no ads in the for sale section of the forum. If I can't find any ads searching for them or a place where they should be why would any potential advertiser consider spending money? Are there any actual advertisers? I don't recall ever seeing any ads for anything anywhere.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

To whom have you suggested this? We have a "Public Relations" Committee that is tasked with pursuing ideas like this. But why stop there?

Possibly embracing an idea might encourage participation...a snarky response can do the opposite 

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

while your updating the IPS site you might correct the leadership page

LEADERSHIP

Get to know our Board of Directors. All IPS Officers are elected for two-year terms, serving from one Biennial to the next. The Board of Directors is divided into groups elected for four-year terms. The groups are elected at alternating biennials to ensure continuity within the IPS Board.

[team_manager category=’0′ orderby=’menu_order’ limit=’0′ post__in=” exclude=” layout=’list’ image_layout=’rounded’ image_size=’thumbnail’]

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

On 8/18/2019 at 1:32 AM, waykoolplantz said:

Possibly embracing an idea might encourage participation...a snarky response can do the opposite 

No snark intended. Just advising that I have found that while always welcome, suggestions and endorsement on PalmTalk alone do little to move the needle. It's unfortunate, but very few Directors are aware of things that get thrown around here.

IMO - for those with suggestions - serious proposals, if also made directly to an IPS Director and/or Committee (along with offers to become involved), would have a better chance of gaining any traction.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

9 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

while your updating the IPS site you might correct the leadership page

LEADERSHIP

Get to know our Board of Directors. All IPS Officers are elected for two-year terms, serving from one Biennial to the next. The Board of Directors is divided into groups elected for four-year terms. The groups are elected at alternating biennials to ensure continuity within the IPS Board.

[team_manager category=’0′ orderby=’menu_order’ limit=’0′ post__in=” exclude=” layout=’list’ image_layout=’rounded’ image_size=’thumbnail’]

Was already fixed thanks to the person above you pointing it out. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len...thanks for the update

no where do I see the existence of Committies...anyway to see what they are...what they ‘do’...and who’s on them ?

i began similar discussions with Bo when he was president some years ago...have continued them with Cindy who’s passion has reignited my concern for IPS’s survival.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I know we use to have a list of Committees but it was never updated so always out of date. What gets passed around is an excel spreadsheet of Committees and members, but it is for 2018. Whats your email address and I can forward you it. I need to ask around about committee descriptions. Someone will have something from years past. We will get that added to the new site in future now too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

15 hours ago, LJG said:

Was already fixed thanks to the person above you pointing it out. 

Just visited the page, still looks the same.

Maybe some of the issues being addressed could be added to the agenda for the next board meeting.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

All, Leadership page will be down as the plugin was causing the biennial registration payment system to fail some conflict. Developer put it on schedule. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 11 months later...

Who should I post to about ideas & suggestions?

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

11 hours ago, James760 said:

Who should I post to about ideas & suggestions?

Thanks so much!

For the moment, maybe private message me and I can head you to the corresponding committee Chair.  Some are active on PalmTalk, some not.

Our main annual business meeting of the international Board of about 30 (listed inside the quarterly PALMS journal and at www.Palms.org) was to have been in Reunion at the sadly cancelled 2020 Biennial.

Time zone differences have made virtual meetings extra challenging, plus our current President's (bylaws limited) two terms requires an officer transition soon.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair