tjwalters

What's up with IPS?

tjwalters

What's up with IPS?

• The web site is still showing information for the Biennial 2018 - Colombia - May 26 - June 2, 2018 event, along with a link to register.
  • The link to the "latest" newsletter pulls up the October 2018 letter. 

I also received a membership renewal notification 3 months late. 

Am I missing something here? 

PALM MOD

I have sent this to a couple of Directors. I will post an answer if I hear back with anything.

LJG

Liz that managed the site left Stansfeld (website manager) a while ago. Her replacement is leaving now. They are training a 3rd person. So site updates not being done. I believe there was an accounting issue that Stansfeld had to catch up on the last few months and that included renewals. 

A new website is done and ready for launch. The data import is being worked on right now. Depending on how fast the new website manager can get brought up to speed, it should be available end of month or early May - barring any hiccups. 

Ill pass along the newsletter and biennial info. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

tjwalters

Len,

I was referring to the link on the main page that says "Click here to read the latest newsletter."  It links to the October 2018 letter.

waykoolplantz

Like it’s member...the IPS is dying slowly

neither cares to or knows how to market itself in the new age

Cindy Adair

I for one still care greatly about the IPS and its mission and am very excited to have the lovely new website up and running.

As to marketing, point well taken.

However we do have fresh ideas so stay tuned.

And I loved the latest issue of PALMS!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

waykoolplantz

This sinking ship will not be saved by one or two passionate shipmates with tea cups...

untill the organization approaches it from a different angle it is doomed. Biennials are cool ...a bit self-serving.  

aggressive programs need to be created to develop and encourage understanding..appreciating and growing palms to a younger audience

reverse engineer the palm society membership...and for Gods sake..develop the IPS as a brand that has value.

I had some communication with Bo regarding this some years ago....but don’t think the BOD gets it.

LJG
6 hours ago, waykoolplantz said:

This sinking ship will not be saved by one or two passionate shipmates with tea cups...

untill the organization approaches it from a different angle it is doomed. Biennials are cool ...a bit self-serving.  

aggressive programs need to be created to develop and encourage understanding..appreciating and growing palms to a younger audience

reverse engineer the palm society membership...and for Gods sake..develop the IPS as a brand that has value.

I had some communication with Bo regarding this some years ago....but don’t think the BOD gets it.

Honest question, why are you not volunteering your time? Bet the IPS would love and needs the help. Sounds like you “get it”, so please, jump on and help. 

• Like 1

waykoolplantz

the solution is not found by any volunteer or single board member. 

The board should hire a company who can provide a plan to develop the IPS as a brand. Its not one persons recommendation to be debated by the board...they need to make the commitment to hire a professional .  This task becomes more difficult every day...the current generations'  'aint wattin around for shit to grow' attitude wont help. We wouldnt have gardens if we didnt plant seeds...we aint gonna have no members if we dont do the same.

We lost the opportunity to catch the rising 'Green' wave...If branding was developed IPS endorsed resorts/cruises could have the bonus of a 'green glow'

• Like 1

LJG
25 minutes ago, waykoolplantz said:

the solution is not found by any volunteer or single board member. 

The board should hire a company who can provide a plan to develop the IPS as a brand. Its not one persons recommendation to be debated by the board...they need to make the commitment to hire a professional .  This task becomes more difficult every day...the current generations'  'aint wattin around for shit to grow' attitude wont help. We wouldnt have gardens if we didnt plant seeds...we aint gonna have no members if we dont do the same.

We lost the opportunity to catch the rising 'Green' wave...If branding was developed IPS endorsed resorts/cruises could have the bonus of a 'green glow'

I understand your frustration and agree with much of it. But you underestimate the value a single volunteer can have. Especially when coming with the right background and experience level needed. The IPS is looking to hire a third party to do what you suggest. However, quotes we get come across ridiculous in pricing and/or scope. Perhaps someone with a background and no vested interest offering help here could put the IPS on the right track. The BODs have tried in vain to recruit a director with a marketing background. We have great people in finance, compliance, editorial, etc. Marketing has always been lacking. We have come a long way the last few years propagating the platforms needed (new website, facebook, Twitter, Instagram, newsletter, palmtalk), now we need a person or company to tie it altogether so the IPS will get the best ROI. Groups (not just the IPS) are great at throwing darts when it is outside anyone members expertise.

• Like 1

mike in kurtistown

What we have to beware of, and I think we have had this experience before (but the old brain hasn't retained the details), is that we solicit a proposal from a marketing agency, they request a big fee, but when we examine their proposal, it is vague and general, providing no evidence that they have any more idea than we do about how to proceed.

• Like 2

Kim

IPS has been unwilling to make the investment in marketing. You might say that made sense because the web site (a crucial element) wasn't ready to be promoted (5 years to completion - fell off lots of cliffs on the way). Maybe now that it's live, the Board can see the value to invest in marketing the site they spent so much to create.

IPS paid a substantial fee for the web site. It would be foolishly short-sighted to drop any attempt at professional marketing due to similar cost.  Just my opinion, and doubtful the majority on the board will agree.

• Upvote 1