IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm wood can be good to make things with

DoomsDave

One of our members took a few pieces of my fallen Caryotas of Damocles and had them turned into bowls by a wood shop.

I thought they were pretty neat. I'll let the member out himself as the maker if he's so inclined.

43368476_caryotabowls.thumb.jpeg.abd2c5a25608ff0fb501a1f31f483160.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm a member of other fora, one of which includes a few wood-turner types, and one of them (near Cleveland Ohio) had made a pepper mill out of "black palm." He said it was a pain, and I told him it was beautiful and maybe get the botanical name of the wood so we can find out what it is, and maybe do a little editing followed by turning . . . . . :rolleyes:

2024081847_palmwoodpeppermill1.thumb.jpg.c6c6c189f60c7d3e8e5c3422e1615813.jpg977407865_palmwoodpeppermill2.thumb.jpg.4504e44f27be6f5873965c03d4fa3561.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Cool Dave. My neighbor has a dining table & chairs produced from "black" palm.  It is beautiful, & appears to be the same type as your pepper mill. I believe it's commercially available here & is from the genus Borassus.

Bret

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Those are so awesome Dave, I hope the maker ID's him/herself - that's nice work!  :)  I'm envisioning a planter for my newly acquired Howea forsteriana...

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

4 hours ago, richnorm said:

Wow, did they kiln dry the wood first? 

Yes, they look great now, time will tell if the wood is durable and stable.

The pepper mill seems to pass the durability test.

• Like 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I'm still agog over how gorgeous those things made from palm wood are.

• Upvote 1

Here is a spear made from Bactris species by huaorani people of Ecuadorian Amazon. 

75137133-6220-4661-A908-FE2DD237E352.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

One of our members took a few pieces of my fallen Caryotas of Damocles and had them turned into bowls by a wood shop.

I thought they were pretty neat. I'll let the member out himself as the maker if he's so inclined.

43368476_caryotabowls.thumb.jpeg.abd2c5a25608ff0fb501a1f31f483160.jpeg

Very cool DD.

Is this a business for him/her?

15 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Very cool DD.

Is this a business for him/her?

Not as far as I know at this time.

I'm not telling anyone who it is at this time so they don't get besieged by requests. It wasn't me, either. It's a Palm Talker who just wanted to try some. Apparently palm wood is sold a lot online as an exotic wood, and it can get a bit expensive.

Realistically, I don't think palm wood will be a substitute for woods like oak or maple, but it still has its uses. Paul Craft's "Palms of Cuba" is full of great pictures of palms being used for various things on the island of Cuba. My favorite is the "Belly palm" trunks used as support columns for a porch, with the bulges all lined up.

And, if anyone wants to try their hand at turning some Caryota trunks into things of beauty, send me a PM and arrange a visit. I've still got a bit and nothing will please me more than to see something good come out of them.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, quaman58 said:

Cool Dave. My neighbor has a dining table & chairs produced from "black" palm.  It is beautiful, & appears to be the same type as your pepper mill. I believe it's commercially available here & is from the genus Borassus.

Bret

It isn't my pepper mill . . . .

But I wish it was! Trying to get the dude in Ohio to sell it to me . . . .

These are made from Royal Palm wood. I used the trunks of two 50+ year old palms that had been struck by lightning. The palms were free , the numerous diamond tipped blades used to cut the wood added up quickly . One of my favorite things is the mirror.

They chairs are incredibly uncomfortable ( but look great).

IMG_2672.thumb.jpg.bdc8bf7ba77832ec91bee129e07a336f.jpg

IMG_2673.thumb.jpg.6bb9eb208ce7090f80efc2c1a02b3a87.jpg

IMG_2674.thumb.jpg.81934d666f2aeb281584f73a17272bcf.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

9 hours ago, scottgt said:

These are made from Royal Palm wood. I used the trunks of two 50+ year old palms that had been struck by lightning. The palms were free , the numerous diamond tipped blades used to cut the wood added up quickly . One of my favorite things is the mirror.

They chairs are incredibly uncomfortable ( but look great).

IMG_2672.thumb.jpg.bdc8bf7ba77832ec91bee129e07a336f.jpg

IMG_2673.thumb.jpg.6bb9eb208ce7090f80efc2c1a02b3a87.jpg

IMG_2674.thumb.jpg.81934d666f2aeb281584f73a17272bcf.jpg

Did you make these?

17 hours ago, Dr Sha said:

Did you make these?

No, I hired a carpenter to make these items.

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot about this large side table. It is a carved out and polished Borassus trunk base. The wood is heavy and is a dark walnut color. It came from Sri Lanka.

IMG_2704.thumb.jpg.aa3542e81c161f3f54bf6bdd4c379a4e.jpg

• Like 3

A few years back we stayed at a jungle lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon basin and the tables and benches were made from Iriartea wood. They were beautiful and I wish I'd taken

a close up photo as well. I would think the species is I. deltoidea, which was quite abundant in the area. 

Tim

IMG_1716.jpg

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Its amazing what can be made from palm wood. Here in Guatemala they are making disposable eating utensils from palm mulch to have a better alternative to single use plastic.

• Like 1