Brad Mondel

Best sand for potted palms?

Brad Mondel

I've tried builders sand, play sand, aquarium sand and I do not like them at all except the aquarium sand but it is too expensive. Would pool filter sand be any good? I need a larger coarse grain size that drains well, not sugar grain sized. 

Edited by Brad Mondel

Rickybobby

I added the same thread on pool filter sand a few months back and not one answer. Hopefully someone chimes in 

Fusca

I gave up on trying to find course sand to use for potted palms and have just been using Turface MVP (Seramis) as a moisture-retaining substitute.  Really helps to improve drainage as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Merlyn2220

I read on a palm (or possibly cycad?) page that they recommended using #20 sieve silica sand for planting and potting.  That's 0.033" diameter or 0.84mm.  The finer grain #40 is half that diameter, and the pool filter sand is somewhere in the 20-40 range.  I've been using the Sakrete Multi-Purpose sand, which seems to be around 0.020-0.060" diameter, a range of #35-#12 sieve.  It seems to work okay and is coarser than the typical play sand.

RJ
3 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

I've tried builders sand, play sand, aquarium sand and I do not like them at all except the aquarium sand but it is too expensive. Would pool filter sand be any good? I need a larger coarse grain size that drains well, not sugar grain sized. 

Have you tried the mushroom compost at Lowes?  It's sand based. I like it as it adds some weight to the root mass in case of winds. That with pine bark seems to be working well so far. It however isn't a very large grained sand. 

RJ
1 minute ago, Fusca said:

I gave up on trying to find course sand to use for potted palms and have just been using Turface MVP (Seramis) as a moisture-retaining substitute.  Really helps to improve drainage as well.

I picked up a bag of this the  other day but have yet to try it. Good to know you like it. 

Laaz

Turface MVP is the way to go I just picked up 5 more bags @ $15 each. 50/50 mix with Miracle-gro "garden soil" is about perfect. Stay away from "potting soil" it turns to muck very quickly.

• Like 1

hbernstein

Sandblasting sand, if available, comes in several different sizes. I've found that it makes an excellent potting media ingredient. Just make sure that it isn't composed of limestone.

Brad Mondel

I went to the pet store today and found some coarse sand. A five pound bag was $6.99 or twenty pounds for $20.  It has a larger grain size and air pockets between the grains. I also picked up some nice gravel and garden soil. Let's hope this mix is just right!