Makaisland Palms

Archontophoenix flamethrower

Makaisland Palms

Got a PKG of a. Alexandrae seed a year or so ago.  5 of them have done quite well, by my own standards at least.  One of them, however, has been putting up increasingly redder new leaves.  I've read that this is common while young, especially in cooler spring time, but it's just interesting that one plant would turn out so differently when they have all had identical conditions.

IMG_20190407_103108.jpg

• Upvote 1

Makaisland Palms

IMG_20190407_103137.jpg

• Like 2

gtsteve

Yes, well that is nice and unusual.

PalmatierMeg

Very pretty. Welcome to PalmTalk.

Makaisland Palms

Thanks!  I've been reading everyone's comments and questions for years now and I finally have something to contribute!  

Josue Diaz

Very nice! I have one Archontophoenix that does the same, but I think it is growing out of that stage now as the latest frond had hardly any coloration. 

Welcome to PT!

Makaisland Palms

Thanks! How old is yours?  How much longer do I get to enjoy this new red leaf phase?

LealPalms

Congratulations! Very pretty palm tree.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• RaychHasDatePalms
      By RaychHasDatePalms
      So I know, I know.... palms and Michigan, and we have had this discussion many times before. 

HOWEVER. 

I have had bad luck with keeping palms alive, obviously, but I feel I have chosen the wrong ones. Plenty of us have had this discussion and I know plenty of you are able to do it. (Yes, KinzyJr, I am referring to you —and others) 

So. What do you think? I am looking at a pygmy date palm, a Christmas palm, or a cycid that has a similar silhouette to the other two mentioned. It would be in a pot in my office, which has a window but I’d say partial sun as opposed to full sun. (I do also have a grow lamp in there that my hardy fig has loved but that wasn’t good enough for my coconut baby, RIP.) It’s hot and very humid in the summer—70s-90s—but the winter is extremely dry and we tend to keep the furnace at 69-71. 

Not A TA also mentioned sending something, too, since I had bad luck with my seeds (idk what it is with seeds and me), which is AMAZING and so kind, so there will be more conversation regarding indoor palm health at that time, I am sure. 

Also, once I’m done watching YouTube church, I’ll post the links of the trees in the shop I am looking at. I am willing to bet that someone here is familiar with the shop.

Thank you so much!!!!! 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      So one of my Washingtonia robusta started to go yellow and then the edges went brown and it slowly died. Then, two of my other Washingtonia have started to do the same thing a while back, but are still alive. Now, my final healthy one is starting to show the very beginning stages (slight yellowing in the oldest leaf). Then some of my Saw palmetto seedlings started to show "symptoms" and now it seems like my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is showing it a little bit, although it fortunately doesn't seem to be progressing much. I can't tell if this is some sort of disease (I don't understand how potted palms indoors in Virginia would get a palm disease) or if they have some sort of fungus. Should I completely soak them in copper fungicide? I'm not going to lie, I am kind of freaking out a bit. Any advice would be helpful. I am not new to growing palms indoors during the winter and have been watering them each as I believe they should be watered while indoors (for example, Washingtonia get the least amount of water, to prevent rot). What could this be? Can I save these? I never had this problem before. 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      This Phoenix dactylifera seedling needed to be repotted about a year ago from the little cup I first put it in. Finally got around to it and just wanted to show you it. Grown from seed out of a store bought date and it stretched, I need to give it more sun. My potting mix didn't drain at all so I had to mix topsoil with sand. 

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I recently bought three majesty palms growing together in one pot from Lowe’s hardware. I’ve had them growing like this for about two months and they’re doing well; however, I’ve heard that they will grow faster if separated. Should I separate them or is there too much of a chance I would harm the plants by doing so?

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello, so I have some potted Sabal minors indoors that are doing well for the most part, but some seem to be "stuck" and just wont grow much. I am wanting to provide them with heat but they are in a small space. Does anyone know of anything that can safely provide a small area with heat for growing plants indoors? I could really use something like this, please tell me if you know about anything that might work!