IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eucalyptus macrocarpa

Josue Diaz

I finally have a seedling of these that might make it to maturity. The seed is quick to germinate but the seedling survival rate has been very low for me. Not sure if i'm just not giving them the right conditions. In any case, this little guy was sowed as a seed in June of last year. Looking forward to seeing it mature. 

If any of you grow this magnificent eucalypt, I'd love to see your photos!

20190404_124943.jpg

• Like 1

There has to be a trick to hardening off Eucalyptus in general as I have found that I get decent germination but most sprout to a couple CM tall then keel over. I've grown a fair amount of trees in my day and I still find it amazing that such a small seed produces such a fast growing large tree.  There is so little energy stored in that seed compared to most tree seeds. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I finally have a seedling of these that might make it to maturity. The seed is quick to germinate but the seedling survival rate has been very low for me. Not sure if i'm just not giving them the right conditions. In any case, this little guy was sowed as a seed in June of last year. Looking forward to seeing it mature. 

If any of you grow this magnificent eucalypt, I'd love to see your photos!

20190404_124943.jpg

I'll post a picture of mine... when it arrives! https://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1566 :D

On 4/4/2019 at 7:29 PM, Hillizard said:

I'll post a picture of mine... when it arrives! https://www.australianplants.com/plants.aspx?id=1566 :D

Here's the plant I got today. I understand Jo's nursery was badly damaged during last year's wildfires, so I'm happy she's still in business. And the shipping was free! :D

Eucalyptus.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BEAUTIFUL! And the seedling looks so robust. I wonder if these are cutting grown. 

11 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

BEAUTIFUL! And the seedling looks so robust. I wonder if these are cutting grown. 

The receipt that came with the plant didn't mention the propagation method. I read on her site that she gets plants from other nurseries stateside and also seeds imported from Australia.

I am growing this hardy shrub in Acton, but it's slow here and the winters tinge them a bit brown on the leaf edges sometimes (gets down to 18F here).... but at the local arboretums these do quite well.  That last sad plant is mine after a year in the ground... twice that size now (3 years later), but alive

Eucalyptus_macrocarpa_3-16_H.jpg

Eucalyptus_macrocarpa_floewrs_zoom_H_April.jpg

Eucalyptus_macrocarpa_flowers_2_zoom_H_April.jpg

Eucalyptus_macrocarpa_in_flower_H_4-18.jpg

Eucalyptus_macrocarpa_young_larb.jpg

Eucalyptus_macroclada_still_alive_9-16.jpg

• Like 3

Someone wrote that in its natural setting in Australia, the flower pods are opened by koalas.