IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bottle palms after this very cool Cali winter

GottmitAlex

Had to do some trimming, every leaf  except the latest was brown. New spears emerging!

Without more ado, here they are:

20190402_170218.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

And here are my own Hyophorbe verschaffeltii and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis caught in-between today's rain showers (will they ever end?). I just moved them outdoors this week, after they spent the winter in my unheated sunroom. The H. lagenicaulis definitely had a harder time being 'warehoused" this winter. At least its spear looks good. :hmm:

BottlePalm1.jpg

BottlePalm2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Interesting you had trouble wintering your H. lagenicaulis , mine seems to do rather fine even pushing a new frond at the moment. It does get a lil bit of sun thru the glass door in my garage and we still run 65% to 100% humidity tho =) It also doesn't get below 60F in there

• Like 1

T J 

Mine have been outside all winter except for one night and they’re still pushing fronds. One of them just opened a new one last week. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Interesting you had trouble wintering your H. lagenicaulis , mine seems to do rather fine even pushing a new frond at the moment. It does get a lil bit of sun thru the glass door in my garage and we still run 65% to 100% humidity tho =) It also doesn't get below 60F in there

It's even worse this year. The fronds on my H. lagenicaulis have all turned brown.   :bummed:  At least the newest spear still looks good. I think I delayed too many weeks before putting it in the sunroom. Since we've been having a relatively 'warm' winter with few overnights in the 30+ deg. F range, I thought I could postpone its move indoors.  Guess not.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

It's even worse this year. The fronds on my H. lagenicaulis have all turned brown.   :bummed:  At least the newest spear still looks good. I think I delayed too many weeks before putting it in the sunroom. Since we've been having a relatively 'warm' winter with few overnights in the 30+ deg. F range, I thought I could postpone its move indoors.  Guess not.

I bet it’ll recover. Last year Houston had an unusually late season cold snap after all the garden centers put out all their new inventory. The western suburbs got down to 30. The bottles were left outside in nursery pots and defoliated. I bought 4 of them cheap. By the end of summer they all had 3-4 fronds again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff985 said:

I bet it’ll recover. Last year Houston had an unusually late season cold snap after all the garden centers put out all their new inventory. The western suburbs got down to 30. The bottles were left outside in nursery pots and defoliated. I bought 4 of them cheap. By the end of summer they all had 3-4 fronds again. 

I hope so... it's a very colorful palm when young. Sounds like you took advantage of a good deal on some distressed palms! :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Here is my bottle and spindle. I bought the bottle at Home Depot 3 years ago, as a smaller 5g. I kept the receipt thinking it would croak within a year. when it warms up I’ll cut off the old boots.

AB4DFCF2-BE17-45A8-9617-4C46426F091B.thumb.jpeg.48e96385876d00d8e978ee79211c2992.jpegF3B6480F-3E60-40FE-9CE3-3F6CF03A922F.thumb.jpeg.226c8cbac8d63fdb82f633b38f797dde.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, msporty said:

Here is my bottle and spindle. I bought the bottle at Home Depot 3 years ago, as a smaller 5g. I kept the receipt thinking it would croak within a year. when it warms up I’ll cut off the old boots.

AB4DFCF2-BE17-45A8-9617-4C46426F091B.thumb.jpeg.48e96385876d00d8e978ee79211c2992.jpegF3B6480F-3E60-40FE-9CE3-3F6CF03A922F.thumb.jpeg.226c8cbac8d63fdb82f633b38f797dde.jpeg

Expletives 

screamed!

where in OC are you?

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Tustin. I have a few things working in my favor — good cold drainage, sandy soil, and I face SW. It’s not Vista, but it’s still pretty good for growing plants!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've watched this bottle since 2009 across the street from my inlaws. It was a big box store 5 gallon at the time. I was sure it was going to be a goner with the arrival of the first winter, but holy cow, look at it now...So much for my predictions.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

AND, it looks like it's putting out it's first flower! The first one's pretty slow so you'll be able to check on it periodically. Probably won't produce more than a couple seeds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

I've watched this bottle since 2009 across the street from my inlaws. It was a big box store 5 gallon at the time. I was sure it was going to be a goner with the arrival of the first winter, but holy cow, look at it now...So much for my predictions.

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

WHOA! BIG HORSE!

Holy expletive deities!

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow that big boy is a very nice-looking bottle for San Diego! I planted a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis in Rancho Mirage next to our pool, full sun with no cover/obstructions, in the spring of 2019. It was a fairly large, approximately 10-gallon (apparently Florida-grown) HD-purchased plant and though it got a shock acclimation to a summer full of 100-120F+ days, some single-digit humidity, etc., it came through just fine with just some blanching to the older leaves. Despite this very chilly late fall/early winter period in the Coachella Valley, including 32.5 degrees measured one morning on my weather station, it has been just fine. I marked the meristem in mid-January. To my surprise the spear continued to push very slowly through some very chilly weather. This one is definitely stronger in Southern California than usually advertised .

• Like 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

10 hours ago, quaman58 said:

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

I got to admit, since this species is all over the place on our island and very common,

that this is a magnificent, really good looking "fella". 

Thank you for posting!

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, quaman58 said:

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

So much for the " Hyophorbe won't grow in California" ..or at least Southern California.. thoughts. This beast, alone, tosses that idea on its ...  Now, how long before this ..or other specimens in the region start producing fertile seed..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

So much for the " Hyophorbe won't grow in California" ..or at least Southern California.. thoughts. This beast, alone, tosses that idea on its ...  Now, how long before this ..or other specimens in the region start producing fertile seed..

I know of another on mount Soledad that is pristine looking and has been producing viable seed for some time. I'll watch this one as it develops. 

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Now, how long before this ..or other specimens in the region start producing fertile seed.

Based on ones I've watched here I'd guess 2-3 years for that one. Flower in pic below was first one for this plant. About 4-5 seeds grew but disappeared. Don't know whether they fell or birds ate them.

20191206_095911_zpsyv2z1tev.jpg

• Like 1

Dang Brett that one is a close runner up to the Soledad bottle very nice indeed. Wow  butch that is  very impressive  how old is your great looking palm 

12 hours ago, akamu said:

Dang Brett that one is a close runner up to the Soledad bottle very nice indeed. Wow  butch that is  very impressive  how old is your great looking palm 

The bottle is a Home Depot product, but I can't remember when I bought it.... This is a pic of the same palm, from a post I put up in 2015... Not sure if you can view it or not, thanks to Photo Bucket...

http://s873.photobucket.com/user/ButchW/media/Palms/Palms 004sz2_zps50nas0hx.jpg.html

Butch

• Like 1