IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dent Smith's old Daytona Beach Property

Reeverse

Soo many beautiful specimens on this property.  The new owner has this property incredibly maintained!!!

20190402_121213.jpg

20190402_125123.jpg

20190402_122700.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I believe this is the original Royal Mr Smith planted in the 50's. Incredible to survive the devastating freezes of the 80's

20190402_122325.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Very awesome, good to see the property was preserved and not cleared. The Dypsis madagascariensis looks great. I was last there in there late 1990s for a CFPACS meeting and it was a clump about 3-4ft tall as it had froze back in the '89 freeze. Glad to see the Hyphaene still there too.

I think that Royal is a more recent planting, at least after 1962 and probably after '89. He had some royals survive the 1956-57 freeze but they were killed in the 1962 freeze.

Are there any Attalea still there?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

54 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Very awesome, good to see the property was preserved and not cleared. The Dypsis madagascariensis looks great. I was last there in there late 1990s for a CFPACS meeting and it was a clump about 3-4ft tall as it had froze back in the '89 freeze. Glad to see the Hyphaene still there too.

I think that Royal is a more recent planting, at least after 1962 and probably after '89. He had some royals survive the 1956-57 freeze but they were killed in the 1962 freeze.

Are there any Attalea still there?

Yeah there's 4 Attalea left. All seem to be doing fine. The owner of the property has a couple guys fulltime and they're doing a great job. I spoke to him about having a CFPACS society meeting and he was excited to do it. I guess I need to get in contact with her and get it scheduled. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wowzer! It is fantastic to hear that the new owner has done such a remarkable job in keeping up this legacy! Does he know the history of Mr. Dent and the IPS? What a stroke of luck for all parties. The iconic garden is restored and maintained and the new owner will have a great history lesson. Where is Ed from Jacksonville? Great Pictures! Thank you 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Hey Bubba....last time I heard Wowzer I was watching Wonderhussy on You Tube. Ever catch that show?

• Like 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?