IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Flintstone house

Darold Petty

This house is visible from northbound I-280, just north of the interchange with Highway 92.  For many years it was  painted in quiet, earthtone colors.  I knew the plastering contractor who worked on this novel residence.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/heatherknight/article/Freewheeling-Flintstones-fun-offends-rock-ribbed-13733817.php

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

I like it! and I love the the Flintstones. I grew up watching them everyday. 

• Like 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

I like it too! But where's the Palm trees and THE GREAT GAZOO?

So an 82 year old lady buys that house for 2.8 MILLION.  Then fights the city in court.  The girls got gumption!

• Like 1

Good for her! I hope she gets to keep her decorations. I like taking 280 into The City to bypass traffic on the 101. I've always enjoyed seeing this house perched high above the freeway. 

• Like 1

BETTY: "Wilma, so good to see you! How's that big fat a$$ of yours?"

WILMA: "He's just fine, Betty, he's just fine!"

BARNEY: "She means you, Fred!" laughs that laugh.

Wow, they do get a big eccentric up there don't they.

(Bracing self for southern examples of eccentricity.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Agree.. good for her..  The city should be embracing what she has done, not giving anyone with a problem with what she has done the time of day...  Remember when the home was vacant and no one was biting to purchase.. Nice to see that someone with vision took an already iconic landmark, and made it that much cooler..  This reminds me of one of my Grandparents' neighbors who hates anything with flowers or falling leaves " ..because.. the wind blows them into my yard.."  .. Simply nothing better to do than complain.. 

Can't count how many times i'd passed by this place either on the way to ..or from San Francisco, Half Mood Bay,  ..or pretty much anywhere else along that side of the bay growing up. The fact that anyone takes issue with how the home / property is decorated reflects more on those w/ the issues than the homeowner. This home is a home, and not just another sterile, boring "building ..and she uses it for charity work , when not enjoying it herself...  Seeing pictures of the interior,  the flowing architecture looks quite inviting and should present younger, more open-minded designers with lots of ideas.  I'd love to have an opportunity to sniff around the place myself.. A big fan of non traditional,  custom designed homes myself..

As far as the outdoor decorations, those rustic looking animals / figureens are big business here..  A nursery i worked for in Queen Creek couldn't keep them in stock. We had a giant Bear that sat near the front and everyone coming to shop had to get pictures w/ it until it sold. Think they put another out there. We also had a 15ft Bigfoot, similar to the one in the article, in our cacti / succulent section. Pretty sure it has sold and been replaced..  No doubt, i'm sure there's someone, somewhere whining about seeing Bigfoot or T-Rex in their neighbor's yard..  and i'd bet these same people don't take issue with other neighbors who fill their yards with rusty cars and other hoarder junk..  That's something to be concerned about, not Bigfoot.

• Like 1

Narrow minded people without vision, without imagination and without the ability to understand their own shortcomings are truly tiresome and pathetic and even more so when they convince themselves that they need to tell other people how to live.  I hope the lady wins big time! :)

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm