Sign in to follow this  
Reeverse

Psuedophoenix sargentii in NewSmyrna Bech

Reeverse

Installed this beauty for a customer today. Seems to be a great palm for warm 9b climates. 

20190401_123815.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

kinzyjr

They put a few near Lake Hollingsworth down here.  I've been looking to add one myself.  Nice looking palm and as a bonus... native.

• Like 1

The Gerg

Looks great. I love these palms but they are SO slow. Tough to find them that size in SoCal.

ck_in_fla

In addition to being painfully slow to grow, they are not readily available.  Perhaps this is a function of their slow growth rate.  I suppose it is much easier to grow Queen Palms and Washingtonia robustas in this part of Florida.  But, if they were as available at Home Depot and Lowes, perhaps we would see more of them in landscapes.  Just my two cents...

Tracy
18 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Looks great. I love these palms but they are SO slow. Tough to find them that size in SoCal.

Yes, tough to find here at just about any size, since they practically all come from Florida.  So you pay freight to bring them to California on top of the price in Florida at a given size, plus someone's markup to cover potential loss of product in distributing them here.  They are a nice addition to the garden though.

12 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

In addition to being painfully slow to grow, they are not readily available.  Perhaps this is a function of their slow growth rate.  I suppose it is much easier to grow Queen Palms and Washingtonia robustas in this part of Florida.  But, if they were as available at Home Depot and Lowes, perhaps we would see more of them in landscapes.  Just my two cents...

Yes.  Slow growth = locking up space to grow them + all expenses (fertilizer, water) + any plants lost to get saleable product = Expen$ive

Meanwhile Queens and Washingtonia's grow like weeds which is why they are inexpensive and readily available. 

20181002-104A0783.jpg

• Like 1

SilverDragon

I'm currently attempting to grow this from seed. How long do they take to sprout?