IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Psuedophoenix sargentii in NewSmyrna Bech

Reeverse

Installed this beauty for a customer today. Seems to be a great palm for warm 9b climates. 

20190401_123815.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

They put a few near Lake Hollingsworth down here.  I've been looking to add one myself.  Nice looking palm and as a bonus... native.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Looks great. I love these palms but they are SO slow. Tough to find them that size in SoCal.

In addition to being painfully slow to grow, they are not readily available.  Perhaps this is a function of their slow growth rate.  I suppose it is much easier to grow Queen Palms and Washingtonia robustas in this part of Florida.  But, if they were as available at Home Depot and Lowes, perhaps we would see more of them in landscapes.  Just my two cents...

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

18 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Looks great. I love these palms but they are SO slow. Tough to find them that size in SoCal.

Yes, tough to find here at just about any size, since they practically all come from Florida.  So you pay freight to bring them to California on top of the price in Florida at a given size, plus someone's markup to cover potential loss of product in distributing them here.  They are a nice addition to the garden though.

12 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

In addition to being painfully slow to grow, they are not readily available.  Perhaps this is a function of their slow growth rate.  I suppose it is much easier to grow Queen Palms and Washingtonia robustas in this part of Florida.  But, if they were as available at Home Depot and Lowes, perhaps we would see more of them in landscapes.  Just my two cents...

Yes.  Slow growth = locking up space to grow them + all expenses (fertilizer, water) + any plants lost to get saleable product = Expen$ive

Meanwhile Queens and Washingtonia's grow like weeds which is why they are inexpensive and readily available. 

20181002-104A0783.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I'm currently attempting to grow this from seed. How long do they take to sprout?

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

13 minutes ago, SilverDragon said:

I'm currently attempting to grow this from seed. How long do they take to sprout?

This link should help: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/48398-pseudophoenix-seed-care/

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F