IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C houailou Showing Some Color

joe_OC

15 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Nice! Mine is all green. 

I have seen a little variation with some new leaves very green and others showing the subtle pinkish hues as they begin to open.  Mine is getting close to opening one now, so it will be interesting to see where it comes out on the visible light spectrum after this wet winter here!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This palm came out of Jerry Anderson's greenhouse.  When I first bought it, it's fronds where twice as long as they are now.  It has taken several years to acclimate, but it is very well rooted now.  Hoping to get two fronds a year from it.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 2 months later...

While the color on the chambeyronia houailou isn't like a macrocarpa or hookeri, the form of the leaves is so spectacular.  This is about as much color as I have seen on any of my new leaves opening.  I looked and mine was 9 1/2 months since the prior leaf opened.  So not 1 leaf per year but closer to 1 1/4 leaves per year still.... so not a speedster in my garden.

20190616-104A3962.jpg

20190616-104A3961.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Joe, it is not personal but I've got to be honest.   TROLL ALERT!  

I have houailou too, like yours, and every time a new leaf emerges ( maybe once a year) I try to look on the positive side, the pink, the salmon, the subtle. I have posted pics of mine for the people who can see and appreciate the gentle nuances with visual acuteness. I have tried to fool myself for years. I've walked the walk I've talked the talk, but I am now finally 'coming out'.  My and other houailou are always a disappointment for me. Unfortunately I am cursed with the inability to see the form as spectacular. I feel that when people describe the beauty of a houailou that they must have the visual range of a dragonfly or mantis shrimp where I have the optical frequency sensitivity of a mole rat.

I used to think that palm growers in Hawaii should be banned from posting in the 'colour thread' because of their retina searing colour advantage, but I came to realize that it was actually a reality call. Those guys and others in tropical climates do actually have colourful palms. If I didn't have my hookeri I would probably grow roses or bougainvillea.  And I blame the tropical posters in the colour thread for ruining my ability to see anything less than calyptrocalyx or dypsis as colourful .

So joe, do not look in the colour thread and you will continue to enjoy your houailou.  :)

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I didn’t plant 4 houailou’s for their color.  I planted them because I like them...period

I didn’t expect color, so when I saw color I thought it was cool.  

I didn’t post it in the colors post, because it is not much, and it doesn’t last long.  

I didn’t post it to show off.  I posted it because I thought it was an oddity.  B)

Edited by joe_OC
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

4 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Joe, it is not personal but I've got to be honest.   TROLL ALERT!  

I have houailou too, like yours, and every time a new leaf emerges ( maybe once a year) I try to look on the positive side, the pink, the salmon, the subtle. I have posted pics of mine for the people who can see and appreciate the gentle nuances with visual acuteness. I have tried to fool myself for years. I've walked the walk I've talked the talk, but I am now finally 'coming out'.  My and other houailou are always a disappointment for me. Unfortunately I am cursed with the inability to see the form as spectacular. I feel that when people describe the beauty of a houailou that they must have the visual range of a dragonfly or mantis shrimp where I have the optical frequency sensitivity of a mole rat.

I used to think that palm growers in Hawaii should be banned from posting in the 'colour thread' because of their retina searing colour advantage, but I came to realize that it was actually a reality call. Those guys and others in tropical climates do actually have colourful palms. If I didn't have my hookeri I would probably grow roses or bougainvillea.  And I blame the tropical posters in the colour thread for ruining my ability to see anything less than calyptrocalyx or dypsis as colourful .

So joe, do not look in the colour thread and you will continue to enjoy your houailou.  :)

I agree, there’s a more subtle beauty to this version. I do like the bluish cast to the leaves, but they never seem to manage more than a mild “salmon” color in their new leaf.  Still plenty pretty enough for me to dedicate yard space to though! There’s a nice big one growing next door; I’ll grab a picture tomorrow. Beautifully grown palm you have there Joe!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

For me the beauty of the houailou is in the blue tint when happy and the stiffly recurved and strongly keeeled leaves with very thick, leathery leaflets. Much prettier than standard macrocarpa even without the red leaf in my opinion. A salmon leaf is just a bonus. A little slower but worth the wait. Nice job Joe!

• Like 2

MLW

Yup!   There are more things about the houailou that I like besides the bit of salmon on new fronds.  Like Mike and Bret said, the blue tint and the overall shape of the palm makes it stand out.  

I personally think it’s the best form of the Chambeyronias.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I’m hoping I can get one of these soon but can’t seem to find any here on the Big Island. It really is a nice looking palm and there is a giant one at Floribunda that looks incredible. Probably 25 feet tall or so. I didn’t even know what it was but asked Jeff as it really stood out to me.  Wish I had a good picture to post. I’ll try to take one on my next visit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I’m hoping I can get one of these soon but can’t seem to find any here on the Big Island. It really is a nice looking palm and there is a giant one at Floribunda that looks incredible. Probably 25 feet tall or so. I didn’t even know what it was but asked Jeff as it really stood out to me.  Wish I had a good picture to post. I’ll try to take one on my next visit. 

Would love to see it!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

11 hours ago, joe_OC said:

the overall shape of the palm makes it stand out.

:greenthumb: :D

14 hours ago, mwardlow said:

For me the beauty of the houailou is in the blue tint when happy and the stiffly recurved and strongly keeled leaves with very thick, leathery leaflets.

:greenthumb:  That is exactly what I was referring to when I referenced the form.  When the color of a macrocarpa's new leaf flush has turned green, it can't hold a candle to the thicker, stiffer leaflets and recurved leaves of the houailou.  I didn't really know that was what I would like about it when I got it, but learned it as the plant has matured.  Further confirmation came when I saw photos of Bill Sanford's in his front yard.  While Bill has plenty of cool palms in his front, this was the one that caught my eye when looking at the panorama shots of his front.

• Like 2

YUP!  Been to several gardens with a lot of rare palms.  Houailou’s ALWAYS leave an impression.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here's one in my garden that usually produces a few comments from visitors - especially PalmTalkers.

PT7.jpg

PT8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 5

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

54 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

Here's one in my garden that usually produces a few comments from visitors - especially PalmTalkers.

PT7.jpg

PT8.jpg

Okay, I have to have one now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dypsisdean said:

PT7.jpg

PT8.jpg

Dean...GREAT looking palm!

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Wow, that is a magnificent palm.

I can see now what you are all talking about.

Cheers Steve

Just to add here Steve... (pales in comparison to Deans beautiful example) my houailou is front and center of my front yard and looking good!! Pic is more than a year ago..

41626156_532708930523386_5777530645836201984_n.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 5

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

3 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Just to add here Steve... (pales in comparison to Deans beautiful example) my houailou is front and center of my front yard and looking good!! Pic is more than a year ago..

Very good looking palm you have there too :greenthumb: Im curious of the stocky one with the huge long fronds to the left of it ? 

T J 

22 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

PT7.jpg

PT8.jpg

Incredible palm Dean.

4 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Well done Bill.

How long in the ground?

4 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Don't sell your palm short Bill. It looks like an extremely happy camper at your place. That should encourage a few more to be planted in coastal SoCal.

• Like 1

Kona, on The Big Island

They look like a winner for SoCal.  Haven’t seen a bad looking one yet.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 6/23/2019 at 3:45 PM, Dypsisdean said:

Here's one in my garden that usually produces a few comments from visitors

Dean did you have one in your old garden or has your son planted one since you moved?  Your specimen in your current garden is spectacular!

21 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Dean did you have one in your old garden or has your son planted one since you moved?  Your specimen in your current garden is spectacular!

I planted a grouping of three from what may have been the first seed batch that came in almost 20 yrs ago - I think Bill's might have been one of those. The palm in Hawaii is one of those as well. I have no idea how those look today. Next time I talk with Dorian I'll ask, and maybe get a pic. They were planted in about a half day sun (or less) location.

Kona, on The Big Island

Thanks for the kind comments and appreciation!

TJ- The "stocky" palm to the left is a mystery Sabal I found in a 5 gal pot at the orange box store... I posted about it years ago, I'm very sure its a hybrid with a minor.. just not sure what. It's been seeding for years. I think maybe a hybrid with blackburniana?

Jim-I'm going to update my new cal thread soon. I think it's age is known there...IIRC 7-8 years from a squat 10 gal pot.

Dean- That one actually originated from So Florida. I have several houailous in pots.. and that one had the shortest pot, thus a smaller hole to dig in my clay. It has been a rocket from day one.

GENERAL INFO... for what ever reason, my nickname for this palm when young is the "Weeble" palm.. as in "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down"..  I cannot think of a single one in a pot past say 2 gal size that has not pushed itself up from the soil. they just rock back and forth in the pot, but seem to just keep chugging along. when I planted that palm it took a year at least to "lock in" and not move in the ground. I used large rocks to brace the base and briefly had it tied in place.

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 6/22/2019 at 10:37 PM, Tracy said:

:greenthumb:  That is exactly what I was referring to when I referenced the form.  When the color of a macrocarpa's new leaf flush has turned green, it can't hold a candle to the thicker, stiffer leaflets and recurved leaves of the houailou.  I didn't really know that was what I would like about it when I got it, but learned it as the plant has matured.  Further confirmation came when I saw photos of Bill Sanford's in his front yard.  While Bill has plenty of cool palms in his front, this was the one that caught my eye when looking at the panorama shots of his front.

tracy, i too live in leucadia.  is yours planted out in full sun or did you surround it in shade?  I am going to plant mine in the ground soon.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:37 PM, Tracy said:

Thanks Tracy! I missed this earlier!  I got lucky to pick a spectacular palm to stand front and center!

7 hours ago, cainester said:

tracy, i too live in leucadia.  is yours planted out in full sun or did you surround it in shade?  I am going to plant mine in the ground soon.

Mine is on the north side of my house where it gets full shade in the winter when the sun is in it's lower arc, but mid-day to late afternoon sun during summer when it's in it's overhead arc.  It's starting to get some filtering from my neighbor's Kentia's which are planted alongside the fence on the other side.  I have a young Cussonia spicata tree on the east of it which also gives shade in the summer mornings.  There are lots of nice palm gardens here in Leucadia for inspiration.  You are welcome to visit sometime just send me a pm and I'll give you the details.   My oldest plantings here are from late 2010 with most parts of the garden not planted until after a remodel in 2014, so relatively young.

Here is mine in Sunny South Florida. It has developed a brighter salmon color lately but I will update the pictures once a new fond opens. It is growing great and is very happy in full sun for most of the day. I have a C. Macrocarpa Watermelon var one and a smaller C. hookeri that both open a very rich red color. These palms are some of my favorite.

.566774605_CHouailou2.jpg.39dc35ee0368accfc15090af9a311678.jpg1157162066_Chouailou3.jpg.080145d8fa6e76b4600dc6632a6a4c59.jpg1990219705_Chouailou4.jpg.a18a70b53a83cde2277ddb6a9736fbad.jpg249525039_Chouailou5.jpg.9537b1e542643fac9d452bcf2c296373.jpg1367763155_CHouailou.jpg.7edd5aaa0eab7a67c9f75ec15febb421.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, realarch said:

Holy Moly Dean, that specimen is amazing.

Tim

Tim - do you have one of these in your garden? 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the largest of several growing at Cuesta Linda.

This palm was planted as a five gallon approx. ten years ago.

It is growing on a western exposure with full sun most of the day.

C3AA4557-77C9-4AFC-88DD-1EDAE9041E2E.jpeg

616EA2FB-E6FB-4741-B64B-A280AF1A9AFD.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

1 hour ago, Mr Rare said:

Here is the largest of several growing at Cuesta Linda.

This palm was planted as a five gallon approx. ten years ago.

It is growing on a western exposure with full sun most of the day.

C3AA4557-77C9-4AFC-88DD-1EDAE9041E2E.jpeg

616EA2FB-E6FB-4741-B64B-A280AF1A9AFD.jpeg

Jeff - Another SoCal beauty. Great to see you posting. I would love to see some more of your garden, and I'm sure others would too. It's been almost 15 years since I was last there.

• Like 2

Kona, on The Big Island

I have 1 in Ground, and another still in Pot just Havnt found the perfect Spot for it yet.  Growing Faster in Pot as I planted it too small and got sunburned so I pull and potted it up.  Will plant soon.  

I sold my 3rd one I had in 3 GA size at last Pslm mtg.  Thought 2 was good enough and make someone’s garden happy.    Hard to find or see these days.  I have Macrocarpa,  I have a Watermelon Form, and 1 Hookeri and 2 Houlious ! 

These are Gorgous Palms Don’t need the bright red Leaf.  Just overall size, shape, and Bluish Green vibrance the out off is Spectatular. 

5D8A31EC-2BAA-42CC-BB37-F96443760E93.jpeg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

A bit more colour in the last leaf, it seems to be getting more as it gets older, then gone in the week as is usual.

One week timeline.

20200115_121634.jpg.1c16bee27583fecf2952594dd20739fb.jpg

20200117_172738.jpg.db8d02e9ae40c2a8f3b684433104d02b.jpg

20200120_120544.jpg.e0affc9c20c085d9dbc7ca89ffb0c4ff.jpg

20200123_135251.jpg.57fb9508d2656a61532ae8aa7b5b7d20.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Steve