IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia Filifera hybrid?

Padraic

I am new to Palm at Yuma, AZ. Start growing palm. I brought this from Walmart. The tag said it is Washingtonia Filifera, but it doesn't wide like the other. So I am wondering and anyone can confirm what it is?

Washingtonia Filifera hybird3.jpg

Edited by Padraic
re-do the picture 2

US Southwest Zone 10A

The picture isn't great, but from what I can see, it appears to be more Robusta looking than Filifera. So possibly a pure Robusta that has been mislabelled, or more than likely a Filibusta hybrid that is leaning more towards Robusta dominant traits. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

They are mislabled...I saw the same palms for sale in my local walmart too. Palm is actually Washingtonia robusta or a hybrid... Washingtonia filifera leaf bases are totally green - NO RED.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I have Robusta, so based on green and red tell them different, good to know. I know the cotton density are different too.

US Southwest Zone 10A

A sillouette of our fat filifera.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15538889297208248636778795735558.jpg

• Like 6

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

@aztropic Dang, nice Filifera! Mine are only about 1 foot high haha. Started from seed in spring...

I hope mine turn out as nice as that!

Edited by UK_Palms

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I like the thicken trunk of Filifera but like the fast growing of the Robusta since I am starting. The picture at my post doesn't look like a Washingtonia, it is too tall and skinny, no thorn compared to the rest at the Walmart garden center with the same price. Almost like a different species. But I am new, don't have the knowledge.  

So the tag is swap based on the green and red color.  The fatter shorter trunk is Filifera and the taller one is Robusta.

Edited by Padraic
clarify

US Southwest Zone 10A

Thanks for all, for the comment and education.  This is a link explains a little more. 

US Southwest Zone 10A

It's a hybrid.  Pure Washingtonia robusta does not have leaflets that deeply split or hastula that are that long.

Looks like a hybrid to me. Hybrids are rarely 50/50. Washingtonia tend to get pollinated by whatever Washingtonia are “nearby”. These had the same mother, but one is pulling more robusta and as a quicker growth rate. Time will tell which is more dominant. 

01698959-D334-4A97-A322-2FE4FB873F2D.jpeg

• Like 3

@aztropic  Just after your opinion, please. This Washingtonia was purchased as a pure Robusta from a reputable dealer, but the more I look at it, the more I have had my suspicions that it is a Filibusta hybrid. Like I am seeing Filifera traits in it, but I can't be sure. For one, it has survived some very cold temps down to the low teens in Feb 2018. I also think the petiole bases and fibres look kind of Filifera-like in nature. Although the trunk and fronds appear very Robusta looking to me. So I am on the fence about whether it is a regular Robusta or a hybrid. 

I have had some feedback from people on a European forum and they are saying that it is definitely Filifera dominant. Whereas someone on Palmtalk has already said it is Robusta dominant. So I have had some conflicting responses and I am on the fence about it myself. Part of me still thinks it is extremely Robusta dominant and could be a regular Robusta, but I can't help but see Filifera traits in it too now. Although I am not convinced it is Filifera dominant.

Pure Robusta? Robusta dominant hybrid? 50:50 hybrid? Filifera dominant hybrid? What are your thoughts? Anyone else, feel free to give me some feedback too. Thanks. 

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408-min.jpg

• Like 1

It is safe to say they are hybrid, I am convinced all mine Walmart purchase are hybrid. Now I have 18 Washingtonian including two of my neighbor gave me.  One from the nursey and it said Filifera.  Filibusta is a cool name as a hybrid. 

The Walmart ones have two types (Mexican vs California), one is short and fatter, another one is taller and skinner. They have the character of both but biased to one over the other.  

I am going to gauge their growth rate to determine which is dominant. I like the fresher green leaves on Robusta and thicker trunk in Filifera.

BTW, UK_Palms your palm has exposed root. Is that how you like or it came that way? Should I put soil over mine? If put in the ground, do you above or below grade (ground level)? I like to mound my higher than ground since I have a tendency over water. 

US Southwest Zone 10A

3 minutes ago, Padraic said:

BTW, UK_Palms your palm has exposed root. Is that how you like or it came that way? Should I put soil over mine? If put in the ground, do you above or below grade (ground level)? I like to mound my higher than ground since I have a tendency over water. 

The palm was originally in a different pot, but I potted it up into its current pot last May. It's just where the wind and rain has exposed the upper roots slightly. But I will probably top it up with some soil now that you have mentioned it, to protect those roots from any frost, heat, sun rays etc. I certainly don't make it a habit to leave a palm's upper roots exposed :lol2:

It's just something that happens over time with weathering and soil erosion, I guess. But thanks for pointing it out, as I hadn't even thought about it to be honest. It definitely makes sense to cover it over. And if I was you, I would try to cover your upper roots as well since you're asking about it. And you're in southern Arizona, so you don't want those roots frying in the 120F mid-summer sun! I certainly wouldn't worry about drainage or overwatering a Washingtonia either, in your climate. The more water the better for you!

• Like 1

We had 5 filibustas in the garden several years ago. Red based, quite fibrous leaves and super thick trunks.  In fact I have a "tiki" of one left in the garden. Cut its head off last year. And now the dragon fruit cacti have taken over it.  It was only 7 years old. But it's a good 2.5 ft in diameter.  We even had to chip off cement from the driveway to accommodate it as it grew...

Washingtonia hybrids are very common.

15545915720871959399478346516818.jpg

20190406_161122.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I am curious why to cut it off, filibustas  hybrid sounds good to be. It seems like all the better characteristics of the two.

US Southwest Zone 10A

29 minutes ago, Padraic said:

I am curious why to cut it off, filibustas  hybrid sounds good to be. It seems like all the better characteristics of the two.

It was an accident on my part. Palm Sunday 2018 I took out several leaves... when we arrived home that afternoon, the heavy winds  decapitated the palm. I understand why when folks clean a washi, they leave the uppermost leaf bases in tact: They support the newer leaves. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 3 months later...

Three months after planting in the ground with everyday watering, the Walmart Washingstonia now looks more like a Filifera than a Robuster. Maybe a Filibuster. After the original long skinny leaves faded. The new growth is wide and shorter (attached).  It is new to me how this can happen, the old enviroment must be bad.

IMG_20190714_200141.thumb.jpg.d38ac98a25d71eb695023eef79906d1b.jpg

• Like 1

US Southwest Zone 10A

5 hours ago, Padraic said:

Three months after planting in the ground with everyday watering, the Walmart Washingstonia now looks more like a Filifera than a Robuster. Maybe a Filibuster. After the original long skinny leaves faded. The new growth is wide and shorter (attached).  It is new to me how this can happen, the old enviroment must be bad.

IMG_20190714_200141.thumb.jpg.d38ac98a25d71eb695023eef79906d1b.jpg

Growing nicely. Definitely a hybrid. One thing to note is that over time it will become more apparent which is more dominant. I have a volunteer in my yard growing freely. It’s about a even split, probably more robusta if I had to choose. 

Also, being in Yuma if it was me, I’d move that puppy at least 10 feet from your home while it’s still young. The thorns on the petioles are like shark teeth when they’re larger, and that will happen quickly. The palm will handle our sun and heat just fine. 

Max 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Padraic said:

After the original long skinny leaves faded. The new growth is wide and shorter (attached).  It is new to me how this can happen, the old environment must be bad.

The older leaves were probably stretched out from being in a shaded condition - likely the grower had bunches of them crammed together in a tight space and the leaves had to stretch up to get light.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 7/15/2019 at 4:26 AM, AZPalms said:

The palm will handle our sun and heat just fine.

Yea, it grows fast in this heat with water drip every day. Today is 111 F and 16% humidity. It will be like this weather a couple of months at least in Yuma. The background bricks are fences in the local. Found the old picture and attached a side by side compare. Neighbor's young Robuster grew more than three feet in 4 months, it was 5 feet and now 8 feet. The slightly larger Filifera in her yard grew slower, the Robuster caught up. 

My eBay 2 out of 10 Bismarckia Nobilis seeds in plastic box germinated in this heat, carefully moved them to a 12 inches tall tube with a daily drip.

Walmart_Palm_progress_20190715.jpg

US Southwest Zone 10A