IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Could I Plant These Now?

PalmTreeDude

So I have these Sabal minor, and this weekend is going to be in the 70s and not get too cold, even at night. But over the week the highs are in the mid to high 50s and the lowest low is 30 (one night). Would I be rushing these or do you think they world be ok to be planted now? Would they be able to handle a frost freshly planted? 

20190329_152602.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

12 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

So I have these Sabal minor, and this weekend is going to be in the 70s and not get too cold, even at night. But over the week the highs are in the mid to high 50s and the lowest low is 30 (one night). Would I be rushing these or do you think they world be ok to be planted now? Would they be able to handle a frost freshly planted? 

20190329_152602.jpg

I would wait until any threat of frost has passed to plant them. They might be OK but it's better to be safe than sorry and wait it out just a few more weeks. The roots won't grow until the soil warms up a bit. 

I would usually say plant those now for sabal minor but those are small.    So I'd probably wait just to be sure.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I would plant now. How cold do you think it could get yet this spring? It would take a lot to harm them.

18 minutes ago, RaleighNC said:

I would plant now. How cold do you think it could get yet this spring? It would take a lot to harm them.

I mean in terms of these being seedlings that were inside all winter, the lowest tempature they saw (inside) was 68. I am afraid that they'll get shocked or something. I'll have to think about it a bit more. 

PalmTreeDude

38 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I mean in terms of these being seedlings that were inside all winter, the lowest tempature they saw (inside) was 68. I am afraid that they'll get shocked or something. I'll have to think about it a bit more. 

Why don't you think about it for about 2 weeks? :D

Absolutely no benefit to putting them out now.  They will probably be fine, but given there is about zero upside, why take the risk?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I would go ahead and plant them if you plan to. I have left Phoenix and Washingtonia seedlings outside all winter that have seen lows down to 25F, with literally no damage whatsoever. So a Sabal Minor certainly isn't going to see any damage from lows of 30F. Given that they are generally hardy down to 0F. Plus the sun is much stronger now that we are nearly into April, so the daytime warmup will help negate any frost significantly. 

But again, if you want to play it safe, there is no harm in waiting another week or two. If I was personally planning to plant them, I would just go ahead and do it. I planted a Washingtonia Filibusta the other day and we have lows down to 32F forecast at the start of next week. But it shouldn't faze my Filibusta in the slightest bit, which might I say is a lot less hardy than Sabal Minor. In my opinion, people mollycoddle palms too much. Sometimes leaving them indoors longer than you should can have a worse effect on them than planting it outdoors early. Frankly, I wish I planted that Filibusta back in mid February. It has been attacked by bugs and stretched somewhat from being kept indoors under limited light.

I say just plant it.  

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

No more frosts here, lowest lows are in the mid 40s, days in the 70s. Just planted them. 

20190403_114204_compress_57.jpg

20190403_114201_compress_39.jpg

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude

Cool deal.  Those will look nice there.  But as far as the weather forecast they are computer generated and change by the day.  10 days from now the low could go from 40 to 25.  Last year we had that hard freeze on April 20th here.  But you are ok I would think.  Nice grouping too the way you planted them.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Set them free, now watch them grow. Sabal minors are certainly leaf hardy. Even a freak record cold front won't freeze the ground this time of year, so roots are also safe. Now they want heat, sun and rain.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Cool deal.  Those will look nice there.  But as far as the weather forecast they are computer generated and change by the day.  10 days from now the low could go from 40 to 25.  Last year we had that hard freeze on April 20th here.  But you are ok I would think.  Nice grouping too the way you planted them.

The last day for a frost to be possible here is April 10th. Although many times the last frost comes well before that date. This year was an average year with our last frost. I already can't wait until they get bigger, although that will still be a long time from now. Maybe the biggest ones will start to look more like palms by the end of this summer. 

10 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Set them free, now watch them grow. Sabal minors are certainly leaf hardy. Even a freak record cold front won't freeze the ground this time of year, so roots are also safe. Now they want heat, sun and rain.

They will certainly get that heat and rain here! I definitely would have bought larger ones if I lived in a place with cooler summers, since as we all know, they are slow and steady! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I have a brother who's in Greensboro and just yesterday he sent me pictures of snow. Seems winter hasn't left the east coast. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

7 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I have a brother who's in Greensboro and just yesterday he sent me pictures of snow. Seems winter hasn't left the east coast. 

I did see the snow in Greensboro, that was pretty crazy, we just got rain here. This is our local forecast for the next week, it appears the lowest low is 41 at the moment. 

SmartSelect_20190403-155956_Weather.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I did see the snow in Greensboro, that was pretty crazy, we just got rain here. This is our local forecast for the next week, it appears the lowest low is 41 at the moment. 

SmartSelect_20190403-155956_Weather.jpg

That looks like a nice temperate forecast.

Here's one if the snow pics from yesterday in Greensboro. Good thing he didn't send me the pics on April 1st.. Would not have believed him. LoL

IMG-20190402-WA0005.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

The last day for a frost to be possible here is April 10th. Although many times the last frost comes well before that date. This year was an average year with our last frost. I already can't wait until they get bigger, although that will still be a long time from now. Maybe the biggest ones will start to look more like palms by the end of this summer. 

Yea I looked up Richmond, VA and your last frost date is earlier than mine.  Frost is not a big concern on those minors but April 10th has a 30% chance to frost after that date in Richmond.  Frost can occur at temps in the mid 30's in case you are putting out real tender stuff.  Been there done that lol

2 hours ago, Allen said:

Yea I looked up Richmond, VA and your last frost date is earlier than mine.  Frost is not a big concern on those minors but April 10th has a 30% chance to frost after that date in Richmond.  Frost can occur at temps in the mid 30's in case you are putting out real tender stuff.  Been there done that lol

Did that with a coconut in the past, it recovered, but the situation was not pretty. 

PalmTreeDude