sabalpalm12

Can coconut trees grow in tampa florida?

sabalpalm12

heh im new and I love palm trees:D

Rickybobby

Or you can grow one potted for 19 years! Like another member did 

RedRabbit

They’re marginal in the warmest parts of Tampa. There are 2010 freeze survivors on Harbor Island, Davis Island, west of Westshore, and a handful of others scattered throughout the Interbay peninsula. 

• Upvote 1

SWFLchris

I am growing them just fine in Clearwater, oldest one is 15 y/o and made it through 2010 winter, granted I am close to the intercoastal.

• Upvote 2

Mr.SamuraiSword

theres a few around there pre 2010

• Upvote 1

UK_Palms

I'm tempted to stick a coconut palm outdoors here at 51N, against a wall of course... :laugh2:

GottmitAlex
3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I'm tempted to stick a coconut palm outdoors here at 51N, against a wall of course... :laugh2:

...and all odds.  Go for it! I read there is a zone 10a in the UK. (Isles of Scilly?)

UK_Palms
1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

...and all odds.  Go for it! I read there is a zone 10a in the UK. (Isles of Scilly?)

Nah, there's not a chance in hell it would survive my winters here. Not in a million years! I was being 100% sarcastic. 

You are correct about the Isles of Scilly being 10a, but even there they wouldn't survive longer than a few months. The Isles of Scilly rarely get above 70F in mid-summer even, and they average highs of 50F during winter, although frosts are extremely rare. But it's still way too cold for coconut palms. The climate is actually very similar to Eureka in northern California. Both locations have mild temperatures year-round and are pretty damp due to the abundance of rainfall. Never warm or hot, which is what you need. And you certainly can't grow coconut palms in Eureka...

• Upvote 1

Dunedin Steve

Dunedin, over by the beach, we got 'em...

bubba

Oh yeah...