PalmatierMeg

Ravenea julietiae Growth Spurt

PalmatierMeg

I am doing spring checkups on my back yard container garden and discovered my potted Ravenea julietiae has made a quantum leap of a growth spurt - at least for this species. This Ravenea from eastern Madagascar is rare and endangered. I tried planting a seedling in my jungle about 10 years ago. It never grew a lick and survived 2 years before succumbing. Next time I found a seedling I left it potted, where lingered and grew maybe 1 leaf per year. I made a decision to treat it like a Cham. tuerck., i.e., set it under deep canopy then left it to its own devices. Lo, it began grow more leaves and get larger. Today I finally repotted and took the following photos. This is such a neat palm that reminds me of a cycad more than a Ravenea. Slow but rewarding grower.

Ravenea julietieae, Cape Coral, FL

Ravenea_julietiae_01_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.46ec801b7bd984fe82cd9a9b38e11276.JPGRavenea_julietiae_02_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.ff9f510a94b5b692f73ed56c4c28e746.JPGRavenea_julietiae_03_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.e103712d3e1f9a03baa5a20a2680f22f.JPGRavenea_julietiae_04_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.e62dd3a88f27ed24f10bf1f21840f5c6.JPGRavenea_julietiae_07_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.a07fbc759cb7d204b9560f2eea1dfd82.JPGRavenea_julietiae_05_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.2a2861b1a409b11caddba2dc93e120d7.JPGRavenea_julietiae_06_03-28-19.thumb.JPG.0a3a43c8433abf6797a6ba6c6135eb0e.JPG

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

quaman58

Great palm Meg! The best Ravenea hands down to grow, & one of the nicest looking as well.

PalmatierMeg
8 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

Great palm Meg! The best Ravenea hands down to grow, & one of the nicest looking as well.

Thanks, Bret. Just wish it was a bit faster growing and I were a few decades younger.

• Like 1

quaman58

Meg,

The nice thing is that as it gets waist high or so every frond gets 20% longer. So within 4-5 fronds you've now got a palm head high or better.

Bret

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

joe_OC

A2FE9707-E9B0-4872-9D7E-1D1976EB8159.thumb.jpeg.3b3a150322a476703e95faa6675fec88.jpeg

Here’s mine:

• Like 3

redant

Seems very happy

Tracy

Here in Southern California, I typically see about 3 leaves/year on mine.

20190303-104A2622.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Brett in Mission Viejo

Super cool plant. I like the long petioles. Only 2 fronds per year for me. This one planted under a R. Glauca, so partially shaded. Maybe why t's a bit slower? Also takes ultra dry Santa Ana winds with no problems.

Ravanea_J.thumb.jpg.ecad4f1f4c03de96d14a54fe33365a66.jpg

• Like 2

JubaeaMan138

Were does one in so cal acquire one of these ?

Palm Tree Jim
1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Here in Southern California, I typically see about 3 leaves/year on mine.

20190303-104A2622.jpg

This plant seems to grow well for us in Southern CA.

And it seems the growth rate is robust as well. Perhaps I need to consider one for my garden.

quaman58
1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Were does one in so cal acquire one of these ?

I've seen them regularly at Jungle Music. Should be easy to find as lots of them became available a few years back. I've never seen a bad one in anyone's garden. Tracey's & Brett's look killer.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

They are pretty much impossible to find in FL, at least recently.

• Like 1

The Steve

How do these compare to sambariensis?

PalmatierMeg
10 hours ago, The Steve said:

I'd like to know that, too.

quaman58
10 hours ago, The Steve said:

Steve,

These are more trouble free than sambariensis, & more cold hardy for sure. My sam. spots every winter, although looks pretty good most of the time. Growth rate is similar. I also think julietae is more sun hardy when young. And for me, holds more leaves & has a lusher look. I think this is a palm that actually may look it's best prior to trunking. I probably mentioned this before, but Joe (Palma) has a great sambariensis..

Bret

• Like 1

Brett in Mission Viejo

I never had much luck with Sambariensis in Mission Viejo. They grow, but never look healthy. I had one get head high after a few years, then sat there and struggled until I removed it. I note they do much better with some coastal influence. Here at my place it appears to get too cold in the winter.

Tracy
12 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

I never had much luck with Sambariensis in Mission Viejo. They grow, but never look healthy. I had one get head high after a few years, then sat there and struggled until I removed it. I note they do much better with some coastal influence. Here at my place it appears to get too cold in the winter.

I had one (Ravenea sambiranensis) but much as you describe it struggled even on the coast here.  Mine never really got well established and ended up getting fatally damaged in a winter wind storm a couple of years back.  Ironically I saw what I think was a very nice one today at San Diego zoo.

20190330-104A2869.jpg

20190330-104A2867.jpg

20190330-104A2868.jpg

mike in kurtistown

Here in cloudy, rainy east Hawaii Island, the three Ravenea sambiranensis I planted two years ago in full sun have grown like Jack's beanstalk. The julietiae I planted a year and a half ago (again full sun) has shown no growth at all, but looks healthy.