IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hibiscus fungus. What to do?

Matt in OC

Hard to tell from this pic, but I have dark spots on almost all the leaves of this hibiscus which is a decent size at this point. I understand that once the leaves have the fungus it can't be removed, but you can try to keep it from spreading. Should I just start over?

APC_1493-hdr.JPG

If it were mine, i'd  give 'em a haircut and throw the clippings in the trash ..as to not spread any possible fungi to other stuff ..then fertilize them. ( look a bit  hungry in the picture )  Have had hibiscus that did the exact same thing after a cool wet winter, or rainy hot summer both in my own collection, and caring for 100's of plants in the Nursery.. 

Remember, low on the Phosphorus ( ..no more than say 10%  1 or 2 X's a year only. More WILL kill these ) High on the K ( Potassium ..12-15%  3 x's per yr ) about average on the Nitrogen ( 8% should be fine ) ..and a dose of Iron for the year. Should look fine in a few weeks now that everyone is starting to warm up / plants pushing fresh spring growth.  Sul-Po-Mag and some Crab / Oyster shell Meal work wonders w / Hibiscus.. among other stuff..

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice. It just looks awful, but is pushing out some new growth.  I'll do some significant pruning this week. 

8NirwKUQQii8XsxIrIegmQ.jpg

diUJal7QSwuMZ0klktXTOQ.jpg

We grow hundreds of hibiscus, and we get this too - even in the tropics. This link - from the HVH link above - explains things nicely. http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/leaffungus.htm

Where we live, humidity is very high and leaves become wet almost every night. I think our relatively warmer temps may keep the spotting to a minimum.

I'm thinking you might be getting too much water on your leaves - or just that with your wet year along with the persistent low Feb temps - things are worse than in a normal year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes