DesertCoconut

19yo Potted Coconut

DesertCoconut

I brought my coconut outside for its annual shower! It gets dusty indoors here in Phoenix, AZ. This is my pride and joy. This palm is where my screen name comes from. I bought it from Home Depot in the summer of 2000. It's been moved around the valley from house to apartment back to house a total of 7 times. It gets20190325_145215a.thumb.jpg.a05d20625b59fb0ac676f0193c31ac06.jpg so neglected I really have no idea what's keeping it alive. It's never been fertilized with anything but dirty aquarium water.  I only started doing that in the past 4 years. It's never been repotted. I just fill in the top with new soil when it gets low. It sat in a dark apartment for a few years. It's almost always parked under an AC vent. It currently sits by a south facing window that only gets direct sun in winter. I used to have king palms and foxtails in pots sitting right next to it, but they did not survive. The small pot next to it is a dying coconut. In fact, that little one is the 4th one I have tried. The previous 2 died in about a year. This thing is a miracle and I hope it outlives me because it is truly like a child to me. I've often thought about putting it out on the patio you see in the photos. It's south facing and gets shade all summer. I'm just afraid of killing it. It seems happy indoors. I only remember one or 2 leaves ever turning brown. The lower ones usually get chewed by my escaping parrot or jumping dog or just break from the weight. You can see in the pictures I have it staked to keep it from falling over from the weight. I just can't show this beauty off enough. What can I say? I'm a proud dad!

20190325_145229a.jpg

20190325_152959a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

That's crazy! I hope mine gets this big some day! 

• Like 1

Rickybobby

Absolutely amazing! You give me hope. Obviously I don’t have as many sunny warm days as you do. But none the less it can be done!

• Like 1

Pal Meir
22 hours ago, DesertCoconut said:

20190325_152959a.jpg

Your photo reminds me of my Cocos when it was almost ten years old and bumped the ceiling of my living room and finally died. This is all what remained from that tree … :crying:

1975733141_CocosstemsegmentIMG_7968.thumb.jpg.c0e65b9465d70f2a837063b0bd9382e2.jpg

Here in 1981 (in the background near the window) and 1977:

203648106_Cocos_19811977.thumb.jpg.0a0c1d396197b0a7d551ad251378bd2e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

RaychHasDatePalms

This is amazing! It chose you; you're a lucky cocos dad! 

Allen

Looks awesome.

MelvinB

Just wow! :greenthumb:

NorCalKing

SMH!

WOW...that's crazy. Congrats.

Palmarum

A happy palm, getting what it needs to reside in that niche environment. How often is the a/c on throughout the year?

Ryan

jimmyt

You have Cocos skills DesertCoconut! :shaka-2:

DesertCoconut
2 hours ago, Palmarum said:

A happy palm, getting what it needs to reside in that niche environment. How often is the a/c on throughout the year?

Ryan

It's Phoenix. So pretty much nonstop from late March to mid October. Humidity in the house stays around 35%. I keep the temperature above 72 in the winter and below 80 in the summer.

Rickybobby

What is your soil like in the pot?

DesertCoconut
39 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

What is your soil like in the pot?

It's just a palm/cactus mix from HD.

piping plovers

Impressive and inspiring!  You give hope to  many, many indoor palm growers.  So interesting that the other ones died and this one flourished; makes me wonder if you happened across a rare variety that is more tolerant of indoor/potted conditions.  Great Job!