IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

19yo Potted Coconut

DesertCoconut

I brought my coconut outside for its annual shower! It gets dusty indoors here in Phoenix, AZ. This is my pride and joy. This palm is where my screen name comes from. I bought it from Home Depot in the summer of 2000. It's been moved around the valley from house to apartment back to house a total of 7 times. It gets20190325_145215a.thumb.jpg.a05d20625b59fb0ac676f0193c31ac06.jpg so neglected I really have no idea what's keeping it alive. It's never been fertilized with anything but dirty aquarium water.  I only started doing that in the past 4 years. It's never been repotted. I just fill in the top with new soil when it gets low. It sat in a dark apartment for a few years. It's almost always parked under an AC vent. It currently sits by a south facing window that only gets direct sun in winter. I used to have king palms and foxtails in pots sitting right next to it, but they did not survive. The small pot next to it is a dying coconut. In fact, that little one is the 4th one I have tried. The previous 2 died in about a year. This thing is a miracle and I hope it outlives me because it is truly like a child to me. I've often thought about putting it out on the patio you see in the photos. It's south facing and gets shade all summer. I'm just afraid of killing it. It seems happy indoors. I only remember one or 2 leaves ever turning brown. The lower ones usually get chewed by my escaping parrot or jumping dog or just break from the weight. You can see in the pictures I have it staked to keep it from falling over from the weight. I just can't show this beauty off enough. What can I say? I'm a proud dad!

20190325_145229a.jpg

20190325_152959a.jpg

• Like 27
  • Upvote 4

Absolutely amazing! You give me hope. Obviously I don’t have as many sunny warm days as you do. But none the less it can be done!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DesertCoconut said:

20190325_152959a.jpg

Your photo reminds me of my Cocos when it was almost ten years old and bumped the ceiling of my living room and finally died. This is all what remained from that tree … :crying:

1975733141_CocosstemsegmentIMG_7968.thumb.jpg.c0e65b9465d70f2a837063b0bd9382e2.jpg

Here in 1981 (in the background near the window) and 1977:

203648106_Cocos_19811977.thumb.jpg.0a0c1d396197b0a7d551ad251378bd2e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Looks awesome.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

A happy palm, getting what it needs to reside in that niche environment. How often is the a/c on throughout the year?

Ryan

South Florida

2 hours ago, Palmarum said:

A happy palm, getting what it needs to reside in that niche environment. How often is the a/c on throughout the year?

Ryan

It's Phoenix. So pretty much nonstop from late March to mid October. Humidity in the house stays around 35%. I keep the temperature above 72 in the winter and below 80 in the summer.

39 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

What is your soil like in the pot?

It's just a palm/cactus mix from HD.

• Like 1

Impressive and inspiring!  You give hope to  many, many indoor palm growers.  So interesting that the other ones died and this one flourished; makes me wonder if you happened across a rare variety that is more tolerant of indoor/potted conditions.  Great Job!

• 2 years later...
26 minutes ago, Palmy Pal said:

Hey any update on this palm? How’s it doing? 

Now 21 years old and still going. The last time I moved it outside to wash it, I might have broken some roots getting it out the door. But it seems to have recovered nicely after staking it up a bit. I did notice that new leaves are not quite opening all the way so might be time for some extra fertilizer.

20210821_145945.thumb.jpg.ed9f6be022a815d2286e188d1337a808.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DesertCoconut said:

Now 21 years old and still going. The last time I moved it outside to wash it, I might have broken some roots getting it out the door. But it seems to have recovered nicely after staking it up a bit. I did notice that new leaves are not quite opening all the way so might be time for some extra fertilizer.

20210821_145945.thumb.jpg.ed9f6be022a815d2286e188d1337a808.jpg

Looks great! Tell us your secret! What do you do to keep it looking soo nice indoors? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Palmy Pal said:

Looks great! Tell us your secret! What do you do to keep it looking soo nice indoors? 

Honestly I really don't do anything except water it with old aquarium water. We Arizonans tend to keep our room temperature higher than most people. It never drops below 74 degrees in my house on the coldest winter days. I keep it around 78 in the summer. I truly think that is the only secret ingredient. I take it outside every Spring to wash off the dust.

• Upvote 2

Outstanding Palm , Absolutely Beautiful I am growing Christmas Palms as of now, they are a year old, and healthy, I live in a small Apartment a coconut would not do well in my area :(..

Thats pretty amazing!   I hope you get to move to a climate that it can live out its life in and you can enjoy it for good some day!  

Here’s mine in The Netherlands. 3 years old. 
No problems at all and pushing spears pretty fast.
It’s inside most of the time and outside on sunny days. 

B4E731DB-30B5-410F-9192-804CC6FCC924.jpeg

B239270C-6C08-421D-B169-9BE2B3F3EE87.jpeg

B0FEEFF7-17BD-4D3E-8191-21CDAB59677C.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/9/2021 at 19:06, MelvinB said:

Ecco il mio in Olanda. di 3 anni. 
Nessun problema e spingere le lance abbastanza velocemente.
È dentro la maggior parte del tempo e fuori nei giorni di sole. 

B4E731DB-30B5-410F-9192-804CC6FCC924.jpeg

B239270C-6C08-421D-B169-9BE2B3F3EE87.jpeg

B0FEEFF7-17BD-4D3E-8191-21CDAB59677C.jpeg

bro how's the coconut and alfreedi?

17 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

bro how's the coconut and alfreedi?

Both still alive and kicking. Will make new pictures soon.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 6:00 PM, MelvinB said:

Both still alive and kicking. Will make new pictures soon.

Bro ok, waiting for 2 photos especially of alfredii ... thanks ... tag me