IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fertigation and water soluable fertilizer

mwardlow

I just used my Dosatron for the first time so I'm new to this. For those who are using a Dosatron or similar equipment to fertigate. What brand of water soluble fertilizer and NPK ratio are you using? How often do you use it, weak weekly or stronger monthly, and do you use it to supply other nutrients that might be needed at the same time or separately? Peters professional 24-8-16 tropical looks promising but maybe a little to rich.

Thanks

Mike

MLW

It all depends on what you are growing in your garden.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Hi Josh, I assumed posting on the forum discussing palm trees it was obvious. To clarify, I am growing palm trees :D  And sorry for the misspelling of soluble, I couldn't figure out how to edit my first post.

MLW

I have an EZ-Flo Fertigation system that I have hooked into my main line.  I usually use their landscape formula which is a 24-13-8. It waters every time my sprinklers run.  I have it set at the slowest feed and I top off the 1 gallon tank every month. Right now I am trying out their cool weather blend which is 18-8-18.

Edited by Jesse

Thanks Jesse. I looked up the EZflo settings and slowest feed is 15000 to 1. Do you use it set to that year round or increase the setting in the summer?

MLW

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread….

I Just bought and hooked up a Dosatron D14MZ2 which apparently is the newer version of the D16 unit others have used on this forum. Really excited to see if the financial setback of purchasing two of these units and hooking them up (I bought another unit for my back yard) will produce results. 

After some research, I’m going to run the concentrated solution at approx 150ppm and I have the Dosatron set to 1:100 ratio. If my calculations are correct, this would require approx 11oz of water soluble powder for each gallon. Water soluble fertilizer is Grow*More 18-6-18. 

I put in a backflow preventer at my main line prior to the line that services my irrigation system, a check valve and filter at the Dosatron. Pressure regulator is set to 25psi and plan on injecting every watering via drip irrigation. Temporarily have a 5G bucket for the solution but that’ll change soon. 

I think I’m set up good but interested on anyone else’s set up, concentrate numbers, ratio settings and if this whole thing is worth it? Due tell….

Thanks 

-dale 

IMG_5128.thumb.jpeg.4e31aa4f0e2498fa0c11f091822169ab.jpeg70640282220__FED0E31C-DC89-4248-8646-5C8FC4B9B901.thumb.jpeg.3cf2c7e33a55b3f0265839e7ac60842f.jpeg

• Like 3