PalmTreeDude

Does Anyone Germinate Seeds With A Germination Box?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone germinate seeds in a germination box (like a little box with a heat light inside)? If you do, does it work well with palms? I might make a little one and try it. 

Merlyn2220

I remember reading about a few people using converted egg incubators for germinating palm seeds.  I thought about getting one myself, since they are fairly cheap ($20-30) and have controlled temperature.  But I have too much large scale landscaping and demolition right now, and no time to babysit some seeds yet.  :D

palmad Merc

I do, double rack with heat matt's underneath. 

Works a treat. 

IMG_20190325_193619.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt in OC

I've been disappointed with the baggie method lately, so I'm trying something different lately: a gasket box with a few inches of moist perlite. No heating added. So far, so good.

SDUZ3VmJSbC1WzRN2%NqrA.jpg

A2jzc7bbSASbtTyxmUz87g.jpg

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      well as you can see by my wall of germination attempts (some are other plants)

i have made many attempts and so far no sprouts (palm) until now!

6 little roots with a couple more looking like they may sprout also

should i pot these up in 1 gal now or wait a bit longer
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have around 50 Eucalyptus dalrympleana seeds that I had in the fridge cold stratifying for at least eight weeks now (maybe longer, I forgot exactly) in a damp paper towel. The seeds are super tiny. I was going to germinate these in a little closed container just on top of some moist soil. I heard they can germinate fine at tempatures around 65°F. Does anyone have any advice about germating these? I never germinated Eucalyptus seeds before. 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      It appears that something ate the majority of my Serenoa repens seedling that I planted over the summer. Are there any animals that seem to particularly like eating palms, or is it likely that this was just a taste test? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I love Archontophoenix palms, and I am sure many of you do too. I couldn't find an Archontophoenix specific thread, so I thought I'd make one in hopes of people showing off their Archontophoenix palms, any species! Here is my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, which has been thriving for me indoors and outdoors (when its warm and sunny enough, like today). It's small, but is growing quickly. I am surprised at how much it seems to not care about being in cooler conditions.