IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variety suggestion for small commercial planting

JayR

I'm looking for a suggestion on which variety palm to plant on a small commercial scale. I'll be planting a grove of fruit trees which require significant spacing for the first 5-7 years or so and am looking for a species to place between them during that time to hopefully make some money. Palms would be field grown for transplanting. Location is Bokeelia, 33922 on Pine Island Lee County SW Florida which is a major palm growing area. The space available is about 800 feet of row I have reasonably good soil, equipment, fertilizer, irrigation, full sun, shade/greenhouse and some experience growing things. Most here grow Foxtails and other common palms so I am looking for a variety which might appeal to collectors or something different, new or perhaps rare but which is not overly expensive to obtain seed or small plants. I know that some of my requirements are mutually exclusive, Cheap and Easy doesn't always match with profitable and collectible but need some sage advice from those more experienced. What would a Palmtalk member do?

Dypsis leptocheilos (teddy bear palm) in groups of 3 like the Christmas palms are sold.

Good looking palm,not super common,and an easy grow in your location.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I agree with D. leptocheilos. They are coldhardy and take FL sun in our area. They are not particularly fast growing but not super slow either. And they have the bonus of cutesy monikers like "teddybear" and "redneck" palm that bring attention to the fuzzy crownshaft. I assume you will be starting with moderately sized young palms but I don't know where or how easily you could find them.

Another possibility for SW FL may be Ptchosperma elegans. On the East Coast they are common and sometimes weedy but they aren't yet here. They are often sold in doubles and triples and are relatively fast growing. Or you could look for a less common species of solitary Ptychosperma.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've PM'ed two sellers who had this seed in the past and will try to get some. 
Any idea how field grown trees of this variety respond to transplanting?

4 minutes ago, JayR said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I've PM'ed two sellers who had this seed in the past and will try to get some. 
Any idea how field grown trees of this variety respond to transplanting?

I have about 2000 ptychosperma elegans seeds if you decide to grow those.

Dictyosperma Rubrum (red leaf Album) are fast growers and look really great.  Dypsis Pembana is a fast grower too.

A slower grower but valuable when bigger is Attalea Cohune.  Likewise Copernicia Baileyana and Fallaensis are slower growers but currently command a premium price.

One that's become very popular in Central FL is Beccariophoenix Alfredii, and sale pricing is still fairly high for medium sized palms.

It's hard to guess what might be popular in 3-5 years...  :D