IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Young coconuts deficiency ID

LF-TX

Hello everyone,

Could anyone tell me why my coconuts have these leaf problems? It’s been going on for about a month or two already and the browning/yellowing occurs very very slowly but it happens. This along with the brown spotting. 

I’m really clueless as to what could be causing this.

Any feedback and suggestions on how to reverse this would be greatly appreciated. :) 

6FEC8C3C-A3E5-43B5-82A7-686B98661985.jpeg

502AF183-16A7-4AC2-A372-4989F331C4D3.jpeg

EA9EAB97-5226-4B16-ADBA-A174E8A4F595.jpeg

Is the soil constantly wet and cool? 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

That seems like a larger than needed pot? My coconut did that because of too wet soil and too cold of conditions

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Is the soil constantly wet and cool? 

I do water often, and really it has been pretty cold this past winter. They’ve spent a considerable amount of time in the cold this past winter.

Looks like classic cold damage. Once the heat and humidity become consistent they'll grow out of it. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Looks like classic cold damage. Once the heat and humidity become consistent they'll grow out of it. 

I agree, cold damage.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

2 hours ago, LF-TX said:

I do water often, and really it has been pretty cold this past winter. They’ve spent a considerable amount of time in the cold this past winter.

Def do not water frequently when soils cool. Our dry season in Florida runs Nov-May. I rarely water my coconut in the ground and potted plants only when soil is dry. I have heard soil temps of 62F and higher are needed to keep cocos from stressing. My soil temps in winter fluctuate between 63F and 67F with spikes lower and higher. Once they hit 80+ is when the growth really picks up. Spear growth then is about an inch or so per day. Good luck and keep us posted!