IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Encephalartos transvenosus or E. gratus?

Eric in Orlando

This cycad was donated years ago as Encephalartos transvenosus but it kind of looks like E. gratus.  Anyone know for sure? The first photo it is on the left and a E. natalensis is on the right for scale. These were moved to a holding area at Leu Gardens while a construction project is going on and will be moved to the entrance to the Tropical Stream Garden when the pipe project is completed. 

DSC_0726~2.JPG

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Based on examining the leaflets on the one you posted, I would agree with you that it probably isn't Encephalartos transvenosus.  I've never grown E gratus, so have to base it on photos and memory of plants I've seen, but that is a likely candidate.  There are enough green Encephalartos with both tops and bottoms of leaflets armed that I don't know them all by sight to id your plant.  It will be interesting for those with more knowledge to weigh  in.  A close up of leaflets on my Encephalartos transvenosus and the entire plant for comparison to the plant in question.

20181123-104A1643-2.jpg

20181123-104A1643-3.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

11 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

This cycad was donated years ago as Encephalartos transvenosus but it kind of looks like E. gratus.  Anyone know for sure? The first photo it is on the left and a E. natalensis is on the right for scale. These were moved to a holding area at Leu Gardens while a construction project is going on and will be moved to the entrance to the Tropical Stream Garden when the pipe project is completed. 

DSC_0726~2.JPG

Don't know what it is but it certainly does NOT look like any of my transvenosus

Richard

• Upvote 1

I guess that one of my Transvenosus heard us talking and decided to flush

ETrans1.jpg.4c11b5e285d750bcbe22598e9d761bd8.jpg

ETrans2.jpg.3b993f0f05edef120cbe50c65469a1e9.jpg

Richard

That does not look like transvenosus either Richard . That looks like dioon spinulosum and my guess

on the above is gratus 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

That does not look like transvenosus either Richard . That looks like dioon spinulosum and my guess

on the above is gratus 

Whoooops, your absolutely correct. Senility strikes again

Sorry 'bout that

Richard