IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which agave/mangave am I

GDLWyverex

Any ideas as to which agave/mangave this might be. I have no idea if it was sun or shade grown. Just picked it up today in a nursery

agaveFull.jpg.5ca4e846d79785ed49309a938458d4c3.jpg agaveClose.jpg.a7868c69e70f38bf65b26fb43f58419f.jpg

Thanks

Richard

Edited by GDLWyverex
Spelling

Looks like a shade grown Attenuata to me. I’ve seen a few Central American agave that look similar at a young stage, but attenuata is much more likely at a common Nursery.

Looking at it a second time  in comparison to your hand, there is a chance it’s desmettiana at that size. Especially with the black spines. If the leaves stretch out thin in the sun it’s desmettiana. Attenuata are wider. Both are pretty fast growers, especially desmettiana. You should have a better idea within a couple months.

Edited by Meangreen94z

..Agree w/ Meangreen94z,  though looking at it,  i'm getting a Agave celsii ( mitis ) feel with this one also.. Nice plant regardless.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it does look a lot like Celsii mitis. I’m doubting desmettiana now. I just noticed the original poster lives in Mexico, which broadens the potential list significantly. They are still documenting unrecorded species all the time down there. I’m sure whatever grows regionally shows up in local nurseries, along with hybrids, and common staple agaves.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yeah it does look a lot like Celsii mitis. I’m doubting desmettiana now. I just noticed the original poster lives in Mexico, which broadens the potential list significantly. They are still documenting unrecorded species all the time down there. I’m sure whatever grows regionally shows up in local nurseries, along with hybrids, and common staple agaves.

No doubt.. Makes me want to tag along and see what else is to be found down there.  Like the *new* finds Greg Starr shared pictures of on A-Ville.  Determined to find a couple A. cerulata V dentiens.. If all else fails, DBG will share / distribute  seedling / offset plants off theirs, someday.. ( tomorrow, please, lol )

I picked up a Cerulata var. Dentiens from “KLC” on agaveville, it was his last one. It made it through our wet winter fine. I also recently picked up 2 potrerana from Greg Starr, they seem extremely rare in cultivation. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

I picked up a Cerulata var. Dentiens from “KLC” on agaveville, it was his last one. It made it through our wet winter fine. I also recently picked up 2 potrerana from Greg Starr, they seem extremely rare in cultivation. 

I almost jumped at the chance when i'd seen his post but, due to current circumstances, passed it up. There will be more opportunities in the future.  I am even skipping a big plant sale down in Tucson i'd scheduled to attend this weekend.. Sometimes you have to stick with the tougher decision.    Besides, as long as current plans stay on -course, i'll be in a better place ( ..let alone have more to spend ) next year. I have more than enough stuff to get growing / step up, etc as it is.  As the saying goes, Patience will be rewarded..

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

..Agree w/ Meangreen94z,  though looking at it,  i'm getting a Agave celsii ( mitis ) feel with this one also.. Nice plant regardless.

The closest reference I could find on the Internet; Agave mitis var mitis (Celsii), says

"Gentry called it Agave celsii, but recently the name has reverted to the older A. mitis. From   central Mexico, and our seed came from Los Duraznos in Hidalgo, this clumping species has medium large rosettes of yellow-green leaves lined with small teeth"

Other references also speak of small teetb, but mine has smooth edges. Any ideas???

Thanks

Richard

19 minutes ago, GDLWyverex said:

The closest reference I could find on the Internet; Agave mitis var mitis (Celsii), says

"Gentry called it Agave celsii, but recently the name has reverted to the older A. mitis. From   central Mexico, and our seed came from Los Duraznos in Hidalgo, this clumping species has medium large rosettes of yellow-green leaves lined with small teeth"

Other references also speak of small teetb, but mine has smooth edges. Any ideas???

Thanks

Richard

Won't say that is it 100% but, unless someone really screwed up in labeling Botanical Garden specimens,  i have seen variants of the general species with and without marginal teeth.. Could be crossed w / something else as Daniel (Meangreen94z) had suggested..

• Upvote 1

Most of the Celsii that I've seen have a more pronounced broadening in the middle of the leaf, with a narrower "neck" near the base of the leaf.  But it's young, so it's hard to tell what it will look like when it gets to 12" diameter.  I'd still lean towards Desmettiana at this point, just because the leaves are mostly parallel sides.  If it is a Desmettiana t'll be obvious in a couple of months' rapid growth!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Most of the Celsii that I've seen have a more pronounced broadening in the middle of the leaf, with a narrower "neck" near the base of the leaf.  But it's young, so it's hard to tell what it will look like when it gets to 12" diameter.  I'd still lean towards Desmettiana at this point, just because the leaves are mostly parallel sides.  If it is a Desmettiana t'll be obvious in a couple of months' rapid growth!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the input.

Richard

I looked at my mitis this morning which is of slightly larger size and it definitely has pronounced small teeth. It looks different overall. It may in fact be a desmettiana. I think I’ve had small offsets that looked like that before assuming the look of desmettiana. Of course it may be something else.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:43 AM, Meangreen94z said:

I looked at my mitis this morning which is of slightly larger size and it definitely has pronounced small teeth. It looks different overall. It may in fact be a desmettiana. I think I’ve had small offsets that looked like that before assuming the look of desmettiana. Of course it may be something else.

I have been doing some research and I am favoring agave vazquezgarcia which is a new find from Jalico MX where I live.

Thanks

Richard

The only Vazquez Garciae pictures I could find had somewhat "wavy" edges to the leaves, not quite like a Gypsophilia but more rippled than your photos.

It's possible it could be a variant of Chazaroi, which is also found in the Jalisco area.  Most photos of Chazaroi show smooth edges and a black terminal spine, but some photos do show a black/brown/dark red edge to the leaf.  My Chazaroi has definite dark margins on every leaf.  RSN's photos don't show a dark edge:

http://www.ranchosoledad.com/agave-chazaroi/

I managed to get a foto of some of it's older siblings.

Agave.jpg.ca05a8f16b8f69b710a2c43bf41b7753.jpg

Does this help ID it somewhat better than the juvi photo?

Thanks

Richard

Those look like Desmettiana to me!  I have a couple of variegated ones in my yard, and they don't have teeth on the edges.  I haven't bought any solid green ones yet, but the solid green seem to have teeth at the local stores.  Here's one of my variegated ones:

P1040302 cropped.jpg