IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nutrient Deficiency

Rd003

I was looking at one of my queen palms today and it looks like the newest leaves are coming out in a slightly smaller and more chlorotic form. My Queens have never had a nutrient deficiency or frizzletop since they were planted in 1994 (very lucky for a South Floridian). The leaves do not seem to show signs of a frizzletop like Mn deficiency... any thoughts? If it is a nutrient deficiency, is there a way to increase soil pH or permanently resolve an issue like that without using chemical fertilizers or making the palms dependent on external help to grow properly?EEECAF9D-E61E-469E-8235-D149269DC73A.thumb.jpeg.b598d14a6325f08b758f2d9c5c366771.jpeg

I planted queens on a nursery's recommendation when I moved here in 1993. A mistake I now know. Queens seldom look good in SFL without rigorous care. They are fertilizer hogs that have trouble staying healthy in the highly alkaline soil in SFL. In Cape Coral the vast majority of them die slowly from nutritional issues because almost no one fertilizes them. I would not recommend a queen to anyone in SFL - there are so many other species of palms that are more adaptable and better looking landscape palms. In addition, queens are Class II invasives and subject to lethal fusarium wilt (lost all of mine to that).

All that said you are stuck with what you have. From the photos your queens look pretty good. If you wish to keep them that way, you need to deal realistically with the issue of fertilization. They need substantial amounts of major elements as well as minor elements. Our soil here is so poor and barren you must provide supplemental nutrition if you want them to not just keep on living but also look decent. Rainfall and air alone won't cut it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.