IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Serenoa repens seed germination?

Neil C

I'm having no luck germinating Serenoa repens seeds as they always seem to rot? A search on here revealed others having similar problems. I've got fresh ripe seeds (picked myself) and brought seeds online and then all seem to lack a hard outer shell? I can only describe them as what appears to be a soft oblong bean surrounded by the fruit. What am I missing, is there supposed to be a hard outer shell? I've tried these seeds in pots and baggies and when I go to check on them the inner bean part has just turned to liquid, please help me out.

Regards Neil

It you put a seed on a hard table and push down on it very hard the outer shell well crack and you can peel it off. I got fresh saw seeds around Xmas and so far 75 percent have germinated for me and now slowly the others are popping   Mine are just in a zip lock bag with moist pro mix with bottom heat

2 hours ago, Neil C said:

I'm having no luck germinating Serenoa repens seeds as they always seem to rot

Neil I've had similar problems myself.  I collected a dozen or so seeds from very silver specimens while visiting Florida last year and only got one to germinate while the others rotted.  Some here have said that removing the outer shell (which I did to all of mine) isn't necessary and encourages rot.  Next time I'll try it without removing the shell and see if I get any better results.  I used ziplock bag with damp sphagnum moss/perlite and bottom heat.  The seedling starts out green and I wonder how long it will be before it shows the silver color...

Jon

Jon Sunder