IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

XBUTIJUBAGRUS  hardiness in zone 8b

Love them palms

I know this subject has been hashed out a couple of times but there was a lot of uncertainty about how the xbutijubagrus can handle certain areas.I live in the Puget sound area Zone 8B. after this brutal winter we had this FeB I decided  to check my areas coldest min temp this year in mukilteo wa which was only 20F and figured that the xbutijubagrus  would be able to handle it here like a champion. any thoughts,input  or experience  with this hybrid would be welcomed.

The most important thing for this cool palm is to plant it in your best microclimate. Mine is very protected from cold winds by surrounding buildings and overhead tree canopy with sunlight in winter too. The only time I have had spear pull was at 15F.  Protection wise I put a blanket around the trunk and two blankets over the top when the temps go below 25F seem to work for me.  This winter with all the snow (20") it only had one inch on the ground in this protected spot thanks to very thick canopy. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Also right now your garden is to expose to the elements to grow any tender palms like this one.  This is where trachys and hardy shrubs really help to create a microclimate. 

Here is a picture of my garden taken yesterday, notice how many hardy and tender plants are just in this small area, plus beyond this area is surrounded by tall trees and shrubs, I can not see my neighbors. 

If you look at the most successful tropical gardens in the PNW they all have one thing in common, lots of hardy plants and palms to protect the tender ones. 

Palm in the left side is Jubae x butia and the lower right-hand side is chamaedorea radicalis. 

DSC_0011.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

Also right now your garden is to expose to the elements to grow any tender palms like this one.  This is where trachys and hardy shrubs really help to create a microclimate. 

Here is a picture of my garden taken yesterday, notice how many hardy and tender plants are just in this small area, plus beyond this area is surrounded by tall trees and shrubs, I can not see my neighbors. 

If you look at the most successful tropical gardens in the PNW they all have one thing in common, lots of hardy plants and palms to protect the tender ones. 

Palm in the left side is Jubae x butia and the lower right-hand side is chamaedorea radicalis. 

DSC_0011.JPG

I was planning on putting them  as main trees in the front yard as some of main ones,so there will be a bit of exposure to the elements but will get great sun.the best I can do is frost cloths and lights if winters get to harsh until they get established,hope it goes well 

9 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

16-17 will burn them and below 14 will kill them if they are small.

They are 5g ,gonna need protection for a couple of years not unless we get a few normal warmer PNW winters ,also looking into getting a couple of super mule palms too 

Edited by Love them palms
Edit

LOL, super mules... You're paying huge markup if that's where you're getting your plants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

LOL, super mules... You're paying huge markup if that's where you're getting your plants.

Supposedly they are bxjxbxs. I got 5 1g seedlings for a great price at moultrie palms

Edited by Love them palms
Edit