IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large leaf tropical plants

Jungle Yard

This is S.Cal West Covina. 10B. This year didnt make it :(  after about 4 years. Had it protected from frost until last year. Have some seedlings growing again so did pretty well just cant handle to much frost. 

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is S.Cal West Covina. 10B. This year didnt make it :(  after about 4 years. Had it protected from frost until last year. Have some seedlings growing again so did pretty well just cant handle to much frost. 

Bummer, Pretty cool to see one of that size, let alone in Cali.. At least you have seedlings, and have 4 years worth of observations made w/ the other to go on as they get bigger.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:20 AM, Kevin S said:

Cordyline fruticosa common name is Ti.

More specifically, Aunti Lu.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 years later...

i do not have this plant yet but would like to grow it when i have the greenhouse space

gunnera  - chilean rhubarb there are a couple varieties

i took this image from the web it is not mine

giant-gunnera-manicata.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:22 AM, subsonicdrone said:

i do not have this plant yet but would like to grow it when i have the greenhouse space

That's Gunnera manicata.  You have to be careful because the majority of what's being sold as manicata is tinctoria which doesn't get as big.  They have different shaped flowers which is the easiest way to tell them apart, but you can ID by the leaves as well.  I bet you could overwinter a tinctoria in a large pot, and replant after all danger of frost.  Slugs love them though so they tend to damage the earliest leaves in spring.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, realarch said:

Pentagonia wendlandii. 

Tim

FEC99B3A-2B8E-45F7-9FB5-C4BC50F8ABBF.jpeg

C5EA0EAD-91CE-457A-80C4-E7FF56DFAEA0.jpeg

D7230A0A-1809-4ED9-83BC-639E1C4C60B4.jpeg

Spectacular with that red abaxial leaf Tim.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

That's big leave:yay:

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

With leaves approaching 16" long, this variety of plumeria qualifies under the original definition provided. This is what I refer to as my ground cover variety as it spreads low to the ground.  On the other side of the planter it hangs down about 3' and spreads out below, requiring periodic trimming to keep it off the adjacent walkway.

20221126_082653.jpg

20221126_082719.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 11/20/2022 at 2:22 AM, subsonicdrone said:

You can grow this outside in areas that get frost and you do not need a green house. It dies back in winter and the large leaves turn to sludge on the ground but it sprouts back to full size quite spectacularly and quickly in Spring. Grows well here in Dunedin south island NZ and gets the odd snowfall. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 5:06 PM, paquicuba said:

IMG_2102.thumb.jpeg.329653c9f871520982679bdd2d1b0b98.jpeg

IMG_1807.thumb.jpeg.3a9e95019d2017750504fd1a0b306477.jpeg1721350202_IMG_1949(1).thumb.jpeg.d90e5e19ff9a60e91cf53a0a159d9da8.jpeg

Calathea lutea (Cuban Cigar)

I’m in South Florida as well, I would love to know where you got these?! And/or if you have any for sale?!

• 4 months later...

Reviving an old thread again... I didn't manage to find any species called "syzygium macrocarpum". Has it changed its name maybe?

previously known as ego

25 minutes ago, Than said:

Reviving an old thread again... I didn't manage to find any species called "syzygium macrocarpum". Has it changed its name maybe?

Has been reported though... Try Syzygium coarctatum.

12 minutes ago, WagnerMX said:

Has been reported though... Try Syzygium coarctatum.

I can't believe none of these scientists informed me... ungrateful b*st*rds... Thanks!

• Like 1

previously known as ego

6 minutes ago, Navarro said:

Querrás decir syzygium megacarpum?

Sí!

• Like 1

previously known as ego