Reeverse

New "Palmy" Outdoor Mall in Daytona Beach

Reeverse

20190318_103902.jpg

20190318_103715.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

donalt

nice ! where is this shopping center? is it close to water?

jreich85

This may be the new one right across the street from the International Speedway. I first saw it last year right after the big January freeze, and was surprised that the foxtails and royals (and i think i remember seeing adonidias too) I saw were beat up but doing okay. I believe it's called One Daytona if it's the same one I'm thinking of. It's at least a mile or two from the beach.

Fusca

Very nice.  If those Roystoneas flourish I hope they will be proactive in removing the dying fronds!  I'd hate to be seated at one of those tables in photo #1 in a couple of years when a 50 lb frond bomb comes crashing down!  I doubt that those umbrellas would provide much protection!  :lol:

• Like 1

aztropic

Enjoy them while you can...

I lived in Daytona a couple years and it does get cold.While they may pull through for a few years,they will always be trying to replace burnt fronds and eventually,it WILL get cold enough to kill them outright.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith in SoJax
2 hours ago, aztropic said:

I lived in Daytona a couple years and it does get cold.While they may pull through for a few years,they will always be trying to replace burnt fronds and eventually,it WILL get cold enough to kill them outright.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

aztropic, our pinnate zone 9 palms are being ravaged by lethal bronzing and Fusarium Wilt so the marginal zone 9b palms that don't die of the disease are creeping into the planting palette in zone 9a...hence the Royals and Archontophoenix in Daytona.  I'm sure there will be a winter reckoning....  But to be perfectly fair, considering the low risk from cold during the last few winters, its reasonable to say Royals will live as long or longer than Phoenix sylvesris, canariensis, or dactylifera in the face of the Lethal bronzing scourge.  Queens are dying of lethal bronzing too, as well as fusarium wilt.  Mules don't seem to be highly susceptible to Bronzing, but they are susceptible, just less than P sylvestris, dactylifera, and canariensis.  We are seeing many Livistonas planted these days as they are zone 9 hardy and resistant or only slightly susceptible to Lethal Bronzing.  But its hard to duplicate the look of a large pinnate palm with a Livistona.  Growing palms in Central FL has taken a decidedly depressing turn over the last few years as our native Sabal dies, along with Queens, Canaries, Sylvestris, Dactylifera, and Washingtonia.  As common as those species are, they are still the backbone of our palm scape across the middle of FL.  Their loss changes the entire look of the place.  

• Like 3

Jimbean
4 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

yup.  All time record low there has been 14F.  

Jimbean
1 hour ago, Keith in SoJax said:

aztropic, our pinnate zone 9 palms are being ravaged by lethal bronzing and Fusarium Wilt so the marginal zone 9b palms that don't die of the disease are creeping into the planting palette in zone 9a...hence the Royals and Archontophoenix in Daytona.  I'm sure there will be a winter reckoning....  But to be perfectly fair, considering the low risk from cold during the last few winters, its reasonable to say Royals will live as long or longer than Phoenix sylvesris, canariensis, or dactylifera in the face of the Lethal bronzing scourge.  Queens are dying of lethal bronzing too, as well as fusarium wilt.  Mules don't seem to be highly susceptible to Bronzing, but they are susceptible, just less than P sylvestris, dactylifera, and canariensis.  We are seeing many Livistonas planted these days as they are zone 9 hardy and resistant or only slightly susceptible to Lethal Bronzing.  But its hard to duplicate the look of a large pinnate palm with a Livistona.  Growing palms in Central FL has taken a decidedly depressing turn over the last few years as our native Sabal dies, along with Queens, Canaries, Sylvestris, Dactylifera, and Washingtonia.  As common as those species are, they are still the backbone of our palm scape across the middle of FL.  Their loss changes the entire look of the place.  

I have not seen this in Brevard.

NOT A TA
55 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

May see a change as time goes by. Counties affected by Bronzing in FL are shown on map in this publication. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp163#FIGURE 11

• Like 1

Reeverse
58 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

yup.  All time record low there has been 14F.  

These Royals are in Port Orange about 5 miles south of the ones in the pic. They have been in the ground since the 90's so I think they have a chance 

20190310_093255.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith in SoJax
3 hours ago, Reeverse said:

These Royals are in Port Orange about 5 miles south of the ones in the pic. They have been in the ground since the 90's so I think they have a chance 

20190310_093255.jpg

Those are great!  Wish I had some like that here.

• Like 1

Keith in SoJax
4 hours ago, Jimbean said:

It's coming, maybe on a truckload of Sabal transplants.

• Like 1

Jimbean
5 hours ago, NOT A TA said:

May see a change as time goes by. Counties affected by Bronzing in FL are shown on map in this publication. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pp163#FIGURE 11

I just did some reading on the TPPD and it does not look good at all.  I'm going to be looking for that now.

kinzyjr
On 3/19/2019 at 8:13 PM, Jimbean said:

I just did some reading on the TPPD and it does not look good at all.  I'm going to be looking for that now.

This is a link to an clip on local news about TPPD/Lethal Bronzing disease and its effects on Tampa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPxG01D1xQ

Here is a similar link for SW Florida and its battle with Fusarium Wilt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqU5jyYvZ8

• Upvote 1