LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Where to buy Sabal Minor and Rhapidophyllum Hystrix?

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Hey y’all! 

I’ve recently grown a love for Sabal Minor and it’s becoming my favorite cold hardy palm. I’ve seen reports of it in Maryland on Dave’s Garden, and it seems to be bulletproof in my climate (no damage in a normal winter and only takes minor damage in extreme temperatures). The gardener lives in Centreville, MD and reports that Sabal Minors (and R. Hystrix) not only survive, but thrive in his area. This is very promising for me since his area is pretty much a similar latitude to mine and he is in a zone 7a while I’m 7b. He also reports Sabal Louisiana as having very similar hardiness (so mines have a chance!). But I would also like to buy some normal Minors and Hystrix in order to have something that doesn’t cause me to lose sleep on colder nights :asleep:

I was wondering where I could buy some good quality Minors and Hystrix. I prefer the larger Minors like those found near the NC coast but I’m open to anything. I’m also wondering about your experiences with bare root Needle palms. I ordered a bare root 3 years ago and it died before winter even arrived (which I believe to be transplant shock since they don’t like having their roots disturbed). Now, that one needle is dead and it’s carcass is still in my garden... mocking me. If you have any suggestions or experiences, let me know! 

sevapalms
14 minutes ago, LasPalmerasDeMaryland said:

Hey y’all! 

I’ve recently grown a love for Sabal Minor and it’s becoming my favorite cold hardy palm. I’ve seen reports of it in Maryland on Dave’s Garden, and it seems to be bulletproof in my climate (no damage in a normal winter and only takes minor damage in extreme temperatures). The gardener lives in Centreville, MD and reports that Sabal Minors (and R. Hystrix) not only survive, but thrive in his area. This is very promising for me since his area is pretty much a similar latitude to mine and he is in a zone 7a while I’m 7b. He also reports Sabal Louisiana as having very similar hardiness (so mines have a chance!). But I would also like to buy some normal Minors and Hystrix in order to have something that doesn’t cause me to lose sleep on colder nights :asleep:

I was wondering where I could buy some good quality Minors and Hystrix. I prefer the larger Minors like those found near the NC coast but I’m open to anything. I’m also wondering about your experiences with bare root Needle palms. I ordered a bare root 3 years ago and it died before winter even arrived (which I believe to be transplant shock since they don’t like having their roots disturbed). Now, that one needle is dead and it’s carcass is still in my garden... mocking me. If you have any suggestions or experiences, let me know! 

http://www.chillypalmtree.com/

I haven’t ordered anything from here, but they look to be a reliable source in Raleigh, N.C. I think they ship as well. I think they have both needle palms and Sabal minor.

http://www.garysnursery.com/index.html

You have to visit this nursery in New Bern, N.C. to buy things unfortunately. I haven’t gone here either, but they seem to be reliable and have N.C. native Sabal minors as well. 

Good Luck!

Edited by sevapalms
  • Upvote 1

WestCoastGal

We have two Sabal minors and love them in our beds. Very attractive palm for lower height requirements in your landscape. You might check out Palm Delights' (Raleigh, NC) Sabal minor listings, particularly the 'McCurtain'.  https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-mccurtain  Cold hardy and slow growing. A number of people here have ordered from them in the past. Sometimes PD have some unique palms come in -- there were a few dwarf palms I was interested in a while back, 'Blountstown Dwarf' was one but didn't pull the trigger at that time and then forgot about, now not seeing listed. But interesting to see what they carry. Do a search there for Sabal, cold hardy palm,  etc. for more possibilities for your area.  Here's an article that might be helpful to you: https://www.plantdelights.com/blogs/articles/cold-hardy-palms-windmill-needle-palm-tree-weather

Here's a video on this variety you might find interesting: 

• Upvote 1

mdsonofthesouth

There is a nursery on the eastern shore called "how sweet it is" and that's where I got some of my needles. Also checkout @TexasColdHardyPalms got one from him that saw zero damage this winter fully exposed on the worst corner in my garden.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Sabal minor comes in numerous geographical variations and you can landscape a yard just in varieties of that species.

For example, S.m. McCurtain (OK) has become famous as one of the most northern growing Sabal minor in the country. I read it may have been exceeded by S.m. Cherokee. There are many others: S.m. Louisiana, a variety from AL, S.m. Welfare (TX) and a number of FL "uber dwarf" varieties: Blountstown, Wakula, High Springs, Chipola. You will have to search diligently to find them and be prepared to grow them from small seedlings. They will love your hot, humid summers.

I suggest you contact Joseph at North Texas Coldhardy Palms to see what he has. He is a member of PalmTalk and IPS.

• Upvote 1

cm05

I bought my Sabal Louisiana on eBay and I bought my Needle at a no-name nursery on the side of the road, they sold large mature clumps (30 gallon?), but I bought the largest 3/5 gallon they had. I saw one Sabal minor there (3 gallon) but it looked beat up, I regret not inquiring about it. They also had Windmills, Waggys, Butias and a range of tropical palms.

Don’t hesitate to visit some plant nursery’s this spring/summer, you may come across what you’re looking for, I did and I’m in New York, I’d imagine you’d have even better luck in Maryland.

Edited by cm05
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

I'll chime in and echo support for buying from @TexasColdHardyPalms.  A ton of knowledge and is a joy to buy from as well.  I know he has needles and 'McCurtain' minors, among other things.  I want to say he is also carrying the 'Cherokee' variety of Sabal minor from the Weiss Lake area of Alabama.  This new variety may be poised to unseat 'McCurtain' as the most cold hardy variety as they come from a zone 7b climate.  Their website is here: https://texascoldhardypalms.com/

Christian Faulkner ( @cfkingfish ) is selling 'Cherokee' seeds on these forums: Fresh Palm Seed Offerings from Faulkner's Palms

I've bought twice off of Christian; once in person and once over the internet.  He's very knowledgeable and gets your seeds out quick.

You can't go wrong with either one of these folks and it is very easy to just PM them on here.

201903182020_WeissLake.png

• Upvote 2

NC_Palms

If you want the Eastern NC ecotype then I recommend you check out Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh. They carry a wide range of Sabal minor ecotypes found in NC.

I also recommend Mail Order Natives. I've ordered many palms from them at a great price. 

http://www.mailordernatives.com/

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I bought some Sabal minor 'Cherokee' seeds from cfkingfish, I just can't grow them! The seeds are 100% fine, I cut a few open and they're perfectly normal, I just suck at getting Sabal minor to germinate, what is said to be one of the easiest palms to germinate! But yes, he sells quality seed. 

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I have around 15K Minor Cherokee seedlings along with McCurtain Co as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

mdsonofthesouth

Are there size differences between "Cherokee" and McCurtain? I need to buy a good mess of sabal minor sometime this year, but I want big>small.

Chester B

I just got two nice sabal minor from Texascoldhardy in the 5 gallon size at a very reasonable price.

In the past I ordered bare root Needles from Mail Order Natives that have now been in the ground a couple of years now and are thriving.

TexasColdHardyPalms

Mccurtain and the north Alabama are about the same size. 

• Upvote 1

newtopalmsMD

I have a 15 gallon Needle and a 10 gallon Sabal planted in my back yard from Chilly Palm Tree company.  Sean makes a trip north with plants that are too big to ship.  You could give him a call and see what he has.

Laaz
On 3/18/2019 at 11:57 AM, LasPalmerasDeMaryland said:

I’m also wondering about your experiences with bare root Needle palms. I ordered a bare root 3 years ago and it died before winter even arrived (which I believe to be transplant shock since they don’t like having their roots disturbed). Now, that one needle is dead and it’s carcass is still in my garden... mocking me. If you have any suggestions or experiences, let me know! 

Who told you that? Easiest way to get a little grove of needle palms is to get a decent size one & cut all the pups off with a sawzall. As long as you get some decent roots on each pup, they will root right out for you.

Kjtexas123

I picked up 4 Sabal Palms from someone here in Dallas who claimed they didn't survive our current fries in February of 2021. We had one of the hardest freezes we've had in decades. However these are still in the containers from the nursery and a lot of the fronds just need trimming down. They certainly are not dead nor did they freeze. I just don't think they were ever cared for or they didn't have time to plant them. I have zero experience with these plants but I'm learning. I've had to trim them back quite a bit and they're not very attractive looking right now. I'm not even sure what size container they're in. I believe 3-gallon? But I'm just learning about all of this. I thought they would look pretty in nice ceramic pots. Anyhow I'm wondering if they're even worth continuing to revive. If they are slow-growing, someone mentioned here. Then I don't want to have an unattractive plant 4 months and months or even years before it actually takes hold again. May just consider buying some new ones. Any advice would be helpful. 

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lyBrzxqESD8m

• Like 1

Will Simpson

Gary's Nursery will have those big NC ecotypes  .

Copy_of_Hyde_County__Moreheadetc160.jpg.215f09d8954e5791abcf50608a73dcc4.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

PricklyPearSATC
On 3/27/2021 at 10:49 PM, Kjtexas123 said:

I picked up 4 Sabal Palms from someone here in Dallas who claimed they didn't survive our current fries in February of 2021. We had one of the hardest freezes we've had in decades. However these are still in the containers from the nursery and a lot of the fronds just need trimming down. They certainly are not dead nor did they freeze. I just don't think they were ever cared for or they didn't have time to plant them. I have zero experience with these plants but I'm learning. I've had to trim them back quite a bit and they're not very attractive looking right now. I'm not even sure what size container they're in. I believe 3-gallon? But I'm just learning about all of this. I thought they would look pretty in nice ceramic pots. Anyhow I'm wondering if they're even worth continuing to revive. If they are slow-growing, someone mentioned here. Then I don't want to have an unattractive plant 4 months and months or even years before it actually takes hold again. May just consider buying some new ones. Any advice would be helpful. 

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lyBrzxqESD8m

I can't see the picture and the link does not work.  It says the link expired.  Can't provide any advice without pictures!  Try to get picture of the spear in the center of the palm.

Edited by PricklyPearSATC

donofriojim1
On 3/18/2019 at 10:53 PM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have around 15K Minor Cherokee seedlings along with McCurtain Co as well.

I just ordered some from you last week. I can't wait to size them up an plant them!