IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Cocothrinax dussiana seed

DoomsDave

6 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Me and USPS are like the Hatfield's and McCoy's!   There is always some feud.

Excess postage???

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Excess postage???

Nope!  The Monarchy wants more tariffs on the goods you see.

Huzzah!  Arrived yesterday!  Before the Storm!  (and then it barely stormed and never froze)

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

9 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Huzzah!  Arrived yesterday!  Before the Storm!  (and then it barely stormed and never froze)

All three?

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:56 PM, DoomsDave said:

All three?

Yeppers!  Soakin'

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

My seeds have been soaking in water for 4 days now, so today I went to put them in potting soil and noticed that a lot of them are already germinating!

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Wilson said:

My seeds have been soaking in water for 4 days now, so today I went to put them in potting soil and noticed that a lot of them are already germinating!

IMG_7315.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG

Wow!

Looks like a good batch!

I was worried; the last batch from last year was a bit of a clunker germination rate wise.

• Like 1

Apparently received them last week. My wife forgot to tell me and forgot where she had put them.! Soaking now. Thanks Dave!

Yeah, my seeds soaked up so much water . . .

Keep the messages coming!

Palmy love should spread round about the world . . . . .

Okay

Stopping now.

1 hour ago, Cikas said:

From the last year batch I only got one seedling. And it is very blue/silver.

Nice color! Looks a lot like the Brahea hybrid (Franken Brahea).  Is the seed the size of your thumbnail or much smaller?

Jon Sunder

16 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Nice color! Looks a lot like the Brahea hybrid (Franken Brahea).  Is the seed the size of your thumbnail or much smaller?

Definitely Cocothrinax seeds I got from Dave. Small, very light in color with interesting patterns ( very unique compared to seeds of other palms ). I only got one seedling and color very suprised me.

Yes, the Cocothrinax seeds are very interesting looking.  I wonder when your seedling will change its color with time?  At least for now it's attractive and surprising.  :)

Jon Sunder

Thanks Dave ..... Received the seeds yesterday & now they are soaking !!!

IMG_9633.JPG

• Like 1

A few starting to pop.  Thank you @DoomsDave!

20190512_111550_CoDu.jpg

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Coccothrinax seeds look like tiny basketballs to me. Very distinctive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Dave I was having a really bad day and when I checked my mail boom the cocothrinax seeds were there. Thank you so much for all you have sent me. As my dad says there calm seeds. Thanks again !

rob 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great job Rickybobby!  What seems to work the best with these?  I soaked mine for 2 days and put them in a ziploc with some moistened sphagnum moss.  They've been on my back porch in indirect light with temperatures around 70-75 at night and 90+ in the day, but no germination yet!  

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Great job Rickybobby!  What seems to work the best with these?  I soaked mine for 2 days and put them in a ziploc with some moistened sphagnum moss.  They've been on my back porch in indirect light with temperatures around 70-75 at night and 90+ in the day, but no germination yet!  

The only time I’ve used that method of germination meaning outside with temp fluctuations is with trachycarpus species. 

Mostly all the palms I have worked with. Get a 24 soak with water and hydrogen peroxide than into coco coir and perlite. Or just coco coir and just moist to stop gnats and fungus. Than heat mat with thermostat and temp sensor set between 88 and 95. I do once every few days do a small cool down than back up 

last but not least freshness when I pick up seeds off the ground in the carribbean and bring them home I get 90 percent in under 2 weeks I find when buying online seeds you may get lucky but a lot are past due date 

2 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I germinate all Coccothrinax seeds in community pots (8-10" deep). I sow them in well draining potting mix, cover them with 1/4" to 1/2" of soil, water then set them outdoors in full sun and let the heat & humidity work their magic. Depending on seeds' freshness and ambient temps they take from several weeks to many months. Now it is summer in FL you should have no problems. These are tough little palms.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

On 6/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

I germinate all Coccothrinax seeds in community pots (8-10" deep). I sow them in well draining potting mix, cover them with 1/4" to 1/2" of soil, water then set them outdoors in full sun and let the heat & humidity work their magic. Depending on seeds' freshness and ambient temps they take from several weeks to many months. Now it is summer in FL you should have no problems. These are tough little palms.

I looked in the baggies this afternoon and...lo and behold, germination!!!  About 50% of them have a tiny white root poking out, and a couple of them had a decent sized root started.  So I transferred them to two 1 gallon community pots and spaced them apart a bit.  The one in the picture below has a pretty big root, but it has no idea which way to go!  I covered them with a bit of potting mix and put them out in a sunny area.

The spot is somewhat under a bottle palm frond, so it has slight protection from the summer torrential downpours.  Do I need to move them to a protected spot but still with full sun?

P1050142 cropped.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Merlyn2220 said:

I looked in the baggies this afternoon and...lo and behold, germination!!!  About 50% of them have a tiny white root poking out, and a couple of them had a decent sized root started.  So I transferred them to two 1 gallon community pots and spaced them apart a bit.  The one in the picture below has a pretty big root, but it has no idea which way to go!  I covered them with a bit of potting mix and put them out in a sunny area.

The spot is somewhat under a bottle palm frond, so it has slight protection from the summer torrential downpours.  Do I need to move them to a protected spot but still with full sun?

P1050142 cropped.JPG

If you are going to leave them exposed then yes. I always cover my seeds with a bit of soil to shield them.

Meg

Florida

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

This ^^^^ is what I did although probably only 6-8" deep pot. One popped a month ago, still waiting on the others.......Front 3 community pots in pic below.

20190718_164548_zpszakcyvls.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I put a bit of loose mulch over the top of the seeds and a week or two later several were already working on their second leaves!  Here's one community pot from 2 weeks ago, the other pot has 6 or 7 healthy sprouts.  So far, so good!  I just need to keep the #$%^@# artillery fern out of these pots, so it doesn't choke out my seedlings.  These went into a baggie in the 1st week of May, showed germination and were potted on June 14th.  Thanks Dave!

1766538841_P1050384cropped.thumb.JPG.41bad560c9c1893602b8447ae20db935.JPG

Edited by Merlyn2220
  • Like 1

After 7 months I've got two seedlings, so much for being in S FL land of palms! ahaha  Seems like everyone North of me had much better success. I'll try to keep the two alive and hope more sprout.

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

After 7 months I've got two seedlings, so much for being in S FL land of palms! ahaha  Seems like everyone North of me had much better success. I'll try to keep the two alive and hope more sprout.

I only got one seedling. 

That's crazy, I got around 6 or 7 seedlings but still very small. Try to get some pictures this weekend. First palms need to get inside:rant: 

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

2 hours ago, Cikas said:

This is how my only seedling I got looks like.

It is very silver/blue. Is this normal?

That one was from last years batch?

Same palm Dave?

5 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

That one was from last years batch?

Same palm Dave?

Yes from last year batch ( from Dave Cocothrinax dussiana seeds ).

Color is strange.