IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mo' Free Cocothrinax dussiana seed

DoomsDave

I just cleaned a big batch of seed and it's ready to go.

Send me your mailing address in a PM (Private message) and I'll send them to you, free of charge. Please put "Free Cocothrinax seed" in the message line for your PM so I know easily what it's for.

I'll send them all over the world. Last year I sent them to all over the U.S., as well as (but not limited to) Poland, Saudi Arabia and South Korea. I think a few to Russia, too. And Texas, Arizona, California, Massachusetts.

These are small seeds, so I usually stick a good number in the envelope.

Some of you got some last year, and, apparently didn't sprout, so don't be afraid to ask again. Or if they did sprout and you want more, ask again, too. The more plants you have to give to friends (or to enemies to convert them?) the more palmy love there will be and the world will be a better place.

This is a small, relatively easy Cocothrinax, eventual trunk diameter about 4 - 5 inches (10 - 12.5 cm) across, leaves to about 24" across, eventually about 10+ feet in height, likely greater with time. They're a bit slow to gain size, so they'll make a cute houseplant for a good long while. They want plenty of light, but full sun isn't required, at least not all day. I think they'll do reasonably well in a sunny window if you turn them once in a while to avoid "the bend."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here’s a Cocothrinax dussiana in my garden

3E96C993-05B8-40A4-9F43-86647531BBE7.thumb.jpeg.28b1f7a2391bd202753738d5b86557cb.jpegA2299072-BB08-4A70-AE1A-3D073C77BA15.thumb.jpeg.a159ee9c6f87b4910e3d7eda1782e89a.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've got a lot; if you ask, I'll make it a double, i.e., send you two envelopes. Lotta seed.

Good Day Dave

I'ma seeing your notice of Free Cocothrinax dussiana seeds is this still available? Thanks ZenMan

Address.jpg

Still available, plenty of seeds.

Plenty of seeds

Come on y’all don’t be shy!

I really do have a lot at this time.

EFBD9842-8F18-4E98-90E5-D9FB14028C3C.thumb.jpeg.b3e7c39ed2895c7c84682793c90c76ba.jpeg

what?

Send me a PM

Finally warm enough I'm not terribly afraid of frozen seeds.  I'm in!. 

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

@jimmyt, you want some? Over there in Texpletive?

• Like 1

Oh you Sorcerer of Tempation!  Let go of my Palm Soul!   Argh!  Ok!  I must have some....   Master,  I have sent you a PM!

Where is everyone?

Printing up labels, still plenty of seed.

• Like 1

I have already begged you to send some to Texas...     I ask again.... please, please, please!  :unsure:

Good Day Dave

I'ma seeing your notice of Free Cocothrinax dussiana seeds is this still available? Thanks ZenMan 1

Address.jpg

@ZenMan 1 you’re on the list brother!

Pm sent. Thank you

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Bunch of envelopes going out in the morning 

B271B21E-BD48-4CC3-80DC-C1776734E759.thumb.jpeg.93358d52ffc25a4cb7a25b6cf869767f.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I sent out 32 envelopes of Cocothrinax seed. They're going to places like Kentucky, NC, CA, Spain, the Czech Replublic, Germany and Pennsylvania. Among many others.

• Upvote 1

Here’s a pot full of babies from a year ago.

D90CCB81-B86E-4E61-AC9E-4B91DEDAE7C4.thumb.jpeg.b82e721f3d9785617afcafa05cac7ee0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Y'all please wait to transplant to dixie cups or whatever.

Mo' leaves are better.

Don't do like I did and do it after one or two. Three or four is better.

Expletive.

• Upvote 2

Good Day Dave, Happy news, yesterday the seeds arrived unharmed and greeted me by rolling out of the bag and diving into a jar of warm water. No swimmers only divers. Thank you oh Seed Deliver. Have a great day! ZenMan 1 

Seeds have arrived and are soaking as we speak.  Will keep you updated.  Thanks @DoomsDave!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I hope they arrive soon, or things could get weird. . . another Bombogenesis storm on the way.

• Like 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Mine are almost here.  Post office is holding them for ransom. They left a ransom note in my mailbox yesterday....  :(

9 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Mine are almost here.  Post office is holding them for ransom. They left a ransom note in my mailbox yesterday....  :(

Gotta love the USPS!  LOL

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

I hope they arrive soon, or things could get weird. . . another Bombogenesis storm on the way.

Don't worry the envelopes trap a bubble of warm air to keep 'em warm, as does the mailbox.